Thread: A river of power lines

Default A river of power lines

What do you guys do to get around this problem of crossing and following tie ins going parallel (same ditch) for water and sewer lines....or for any others being located?
    Last edited by Gettinit; July 2nd, 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Default Re: A river of power lines

i use witchcraft/voodoo
    or a process of illimination use sondes for pipework, direct connect for each sevice or gpr all else fails get my spade out

Quote Originally Posted by spencer newson View Post
    .............or a process of illimination...........

'Splain this, please?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Gettinit View Post
    What do you guys do to get around this problem of crossing and following tie ins going parallel (same ditch) for water and sewer lines....or for any others being located?
    Hey Gettinit - I'm not understanding your question. I understand tie-ins (taps and splices) and laterals, but what exactly is the problem/challenge you are encountering that needs to be resolved? If it is a matter of multiple signals in the ditch, use a lower frequency and keep the gain LOW........

-----------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; July 4th, 2012 at 08:33 AM.

I do that but I am always concerned that I am not on the line. How are you verifying your locate? Just null or other techniques? My biggest problems are with plumbing, to get the signal good enough for a locate it is usually high enough to bleed all over the place. If it were a wire it is so much easier than a pipe already grounded. Everything else I can pull the ground but not power. I am still green.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Getinit, What type of equipment are you running? Are you solely trying to locate the "Plumbing"? or are you trying to locate it all?

Depending on the situation, you may need to attempt the locate differently. It may be easier to locate everything then attempt to find the plumbing and see how the signal corresponds to what you already have located.

Part of me always questions the utilities. You have to. Just know how waterlines typically locate. Some locate great while others locate horribly. My experience only... The bigger the line the crappier the signal. I had to locate a 66" water line and it kept bleading off onto a Verizon duct 15' away. You just know that the water line does not go into the verizon vault, so you figure out how else to keep the signals separated...... Unfortunately to managements disbelief, this typically means induction. (I do not recommend this depending on equipment and the company you are with).

Keep questioning the locate and trying everything to Isolate the line. Learn what can "F" up the signal as well. With water lines, I have found a certain mechanical joint will kill the signal. Also any repairs that use a Fernco style fitting, your screwed.

I know this hasn't answered any of your questions....but I use an 810 so lowering the frequency isn't an option.... go figure

I could tell you how I do it, but I can't do it without induction.

mke

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Getinit, What type of equipment are you running? Are you solely trying to locate the "Plumbing"? or are you trying to locate it all?

Depending on the situation, you may need to attempt the locate differently. It may be easier to locate everything then attempt to find the plumbing and see how the signal corresponds to what you already have located.

Part of me always questions the utilities. You have to. Just know how waterlines typically locate. Some locate great while others locate horribly. My experience only... The bigger the line the crappier the signal. I had to locate a 66" water line and it kept bleading off onto a Verizon duct 15' away. You just know that the water line does not go into the verizon vault, so you figure out how else to keep the signals separated...... Unfortunately to managements disbelief, this typically means induction. (I do not recommend this depending on equipment and the company you are with).

Keep questioning the locate and trying everything to Isolate the line. Learn what can "F" up the signal as well. With water lines, I have found a certain mechanical joint will kill the signal. Also any repairs that use a Fernco style fitting, your screwed.

I know this hasn't answered any of your questions....but I use an 810 so lowering the frequency isn't an option.... go figure

I could tell you how I do it, but I can't do it without induction.

mke

I use Vivax Vlocpro 5 watt. I am usually just looking for plumbing but I like to follow the other locates to see how close I get to their markings and try to learn trial and error without something getting tore up.

Years of Experience

trust your marks if it leads you back to the source you started from . ...the only way to truly know if you are right is to dig it up!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato