Thread: Ridiculous locate question.

Default Ridiculous locate question.

Never thought I'd be back here after quiting USIC last year. Anyways, I had a friend who thought I still did the work ask me if there is any way to locate from his meter to his garage for a fence. USIC just goes to the meter of course.

Is there any way to to do this with out real tools? I was thinking It could be done in radio mode with a real am radio. I know it sound stupid, but this guy would try it and it better than nothing right? It is the only thing in his yard underground. He lives way out in the sticks. He could pothole it of course.

Anyone every tried anything like this? I can't think of another way with out the tools.

Years of Experience
    too many

Default Re: Ridiculous locate question.

witch it !

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinnella View Post
    witch it !
    What he said.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

As long as its metal and not too deep he could make a homemade metal detector with a transistor radio and a calculator. Instructions are on youtube.

You could hire us to do it for a very reasonable price!! I'm guessing you arn't anywhere near my area though.

To answer your question, you could try to get a thin piece of metal and bend it over in an L shape. Hold the small part of the L in your hand, twirl it around a bunch of times, and walk slowly over where you think the trench for the electric is.

Supposedly when you walk over the trench, the metal might be attracted to the disturbance of the trench and the earth's natural magnetic field, and it will cross over.

I would only suggest this if you absolutely know it's the only thing in the ground. This trick usually doesn't work well to begin with, and certainly not in congested utility areas.

Years of Experience

Witch it, then pot-hole it. Or hire Dig Scout to do it.

Being a plumber I use to witch a lot. My old boss would not buy locate equipment. You will pick up any ditch line no matter what is buried. There is a particular way to make them that can be found on line. For me walking perpendicular to a ditch like the rods will point away from each other and show the direction of the ditch. Change the angle, do it again, the rods show the same line direction. The rods need to be level at all tomes or you will not get a good/true reaction. I cut a piece of copper with a cap on both sides, drilled a hole in one for the copper wire to go inside. This keeps it free to move without restrictions.

Years of Experience

I do the same thing. There are actual witching sticks you can purchase. But being as cheap as I am, I just bend a couple of flags. It usually works.
    I met a guy that actually showed me how to do this. He was witching non-metallic fiber.