Thread: Ride Alongs

Default Ride Alongs

Should 6mo. Locators be performing ride alongs and initial in field training to new employees who have never had any kind of locating experience? I am aware some companies are now doing this...

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ride Alongs

My opinion? No.

What the actual circumstances are that lead to that decision, I don't know. The only reason I could see 6 mo. locators doing ride alongs is because they are still low production employees and the company doesn't want high production employees slowed down. OR... I know some companies do ride alongs so the prospective employee can get a feel for the job. All they are supposed to do is just observe and decide if this is a job they want to pursue. It weeds out those who don't really know what they are getting into who will just quit a month or two after training. It isn't meant to train the person.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

In some cases, it might be that the newer guys might be the only ones that Mgmt can trust not to really inform the prospect what they will be getting themselves into.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    In some cases, it might be that the newer guys might be the only ones that Mgmt can trust not to really inform the prospect what they will be getting themselves into.
    All I can do is laugh.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

blindcrossing.jpg

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post

Hey Flyguy - Okay, I can envision a 6 month female noob taking a female ride-along so they can talk "girl to girl" about real experiences as a damsel working in a guy's world. Just sayin'.

I just can't envision a 6 month guy noob taking a ride-along. It's not fair to the noob or the ride-along. Just like The Big-E sez, it's kinda like the blind leading the blind. We've all seen the work of a 6 month noob. Hell, we've all been 6 month noobs! Speaking for myself only, I was NOT in any effective position to take a ride-along at 6 months!

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; February 6th, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Wing! That's my point exactly with this post. I don't see how management could even think of doing this crap! ( my opinion only) but how do they ever expect to turn these prospects into genuine locators if the first things they see and learn about locating come from individuals that cannot even locate at a professional level yet themselves? To me it's setting the industry up for failure, creating a downhill domino effect, it's the plague! But after I think about it what do we expect? Most of us senior locators have far more locating experience than our superiors in the first place. And vise versa alot of our superiors have more experience than us driving trucks and delivering packages!!! Just saying, something to think about..

These are my views and mine alone, they do not reflect the views of my employer!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy415 View Post
    setting the industry up for failure, creating a downhill domino effect, it's the plague!
    This gets my vote for the new and improved "World's Greatest Locating Company" motto for 2012!

Years of Experience

But seriously folks, I think Spray nailed it. Too many of the experienced guys were "warning" too many of the noobs. What a great business model! It's in everyone's best interest to get these people to stay and learn the ropes. And instead, you get "Run, run like the wind son, while you still have breath to run!". Sad, but true.
    Last edited by Bad Robot; February 7th, 2012 at 05:52 AM.

Years of Experience

I myself was a short timer when I had the task of showing a new comer the exciting world of locating. Man it was great! All those questions, all those answers?!?! I only had about 6 to 9 months of locating and I thought I new it all. I did however stress that they shouldn't do as I did, that how I did things worked for me.
    I do believe, it really was to keep them occupied, till they got there truck and equipment!!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I don't know whats worse. Noobs riding with other noobs or training a noob and 2 weeks into the training he is sent over to another locator who's known for shortcuts and shitty work just to get him back a week later and try to undo everything the other locator has shown him.

Its happened to me twice. On the third go around, I threatened the noob that I'd beat his arse if he came back doing shortcuts he didn't understand..... Unfortunately he was fired before he came back to me. Go figure.

Mke