Thread: Remote toning transmitter?

Default Remote toning transmitter?

I have heard that some telcos with fairly uninterrupted cable and/or tracer wire connections have a centralized transmitter that can be activated which then applies a locatable tone to the cable/tracer wire. The Locator can then locate the facility without having to personally apply the signal. Can anyone provide more intel on this concept please?

Default Re: Remote toning transmitter?

yes i do believe it is called the lms system. at&t trans uses it and alot of the abovenet fibers have it. what the locator does is goes on the computer or phone and calls in a tone. then they locate it in 512 without having to hook up. the lms box i think is hooked up at or near a c.o. where the fiber(s) go into.

Years of Experience

Yes, one of our fiber owners originally started out installing the system on their entire ring but gave up on the idea. It would have really made it easy to get the job done if they had it implemented!

Years of Experience

They are high power low frequency rack mount transmitters. As the previous posters have said you either call in to turn the transmitter on or use a computer.

http://www.vivax-metrotech.com/productshow.asp?id=58

Vivax makes one called an FLS.

I've heard of them being used around here with some long distance fiber companies. All activated with a phone call. And as a side note (I realized this sounded like an ad after posting it so editing to say it's not, lol), I love Vivax. I pushed hard to get them in my district. I requested features and they literally added them to the software within weeks. Per my requests they added a variable tone a la Rycom and the compass which we now have on the RD8000 as well. They also said if I wanted they would add a camera into the receiver which could have the photos uploaded via USB. They listen to their clients. The vLocPro was tested here and it did great. It all came down to $$$ though and we stuck with RD.