Thread: Regular folks HATE V-Rads too!

Default Regular folks HATE V-Rads too!

Years of Experience

Default Re: Regular folks HATE V-Rads too!

i looked at it and it seemed fine to me..........but i know i would not want one in my front yard....i''ve seen ones that look horrible compared to the one on that website.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    na

The altenative is go the route of why all us losers do this for a living anyways

-bury the crap in the ground...

For the most part is nt that the point of burying utilities nowadays???

-aesthetics

That would be a boon for the caulk and seal industry-subsurface water proof sealing products- sump pumps- etc etc...

ATT will bury most of it's facilities when a developer requests and pays for it. In our higher $$$ areas down here, nearly everything is buried or has a lot of landscaping to hide it. If you got the $$$ you can get this stuff hidden. On the other hand, Verizon used small handholes virtually everywhere.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Id agree that some of those cross-connects and remote switches do look ugly.. the manufacturers try to cram as much as they can in a small footprint. I cant see how they could bury them underground though, as there's usually some maintenance to be done on them .. and they have ventilation requirements. I wonder if they could make them look more like a miniature house ? The sidewalls and/or windows and doors would be the access panels etc.

Homeowners don't even like the electric/tel/catv peds in their front yards. My answer? We could always go back to those ugly power poles that still go through older neighborhoods just to remind ourselves of what "ugly" truly is. We had v-rads installed in our area. As soon as I found out what they were, I waited to find out what ATT would offer. For their ugliness, we are now paying $50 LESS a month than we did for Time Warner. But I guess the vanity if homeowners is far more important than anything else. On the other hand, one would think that the engineers at ATT would be capable of coming up with something better which is less obtrusive.
    Last edited by Mr Blunderbuss; August 24th, 2008 at 01:26 PM.

Years of Experience

If you do a search for U-verse online you'll see alot of communities are trying to stop them from installing them. They are a definate eyesore.

If I think about it I'll take some pictures of the ones in my area. There are some V-rads sitting within 5 feet of houses.

Years of Experience

5 feet??????????????? that must be in the poor neighborhoods?????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    retired

If you think the V-rads are bad, you should see the electric switchgears being put up along the main road through town. ComEd finally got around to taking the aerial stuff and putting it underground, which has been an ongoing wishlist thing here for a long time. But, then the residents bitch about the mess the construction made to begin with and it's like, okay people - this stuff doesn't magically happen overnight! They've been working on it since January and it is finally nearly done! That's a good 8+ months. What with encroachment rules and easements and zoning boards... In the next town over (Naperville, IL) I have seen several of their electric company facils in handholes. Exactly like other posts, I guess it's how much $$ the neighbors are worth that counts towards complaints actually getting noticed.

People will complain no matter what. 5 years from now, who will remember anymore?
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

5 years from now, who will remember anymore?
    That's because the homeowners, disregarding the notice on the side of the transformers to do otherwise, will plant thorny shrubs around the boxes, effectively hiding them.

Years of Experience

yikes .......got to hate it for those that think they have to go inside to locate out of them......i guess thorny bushes will come no matter what

Ive never had an issue with cutting my way into a ped that someone planted scrub/etc against. I think as long as its done for reasonable access (and usually a good idea to haul away your 'cuttings') , how can they complain ?

att light speed is underway in my area and v-rads are popping up all over the place. I hate locating out of them they tend to use a unshielded fiber and forget to run a tracer wire with it.