Thread: Recruiting Suggestions/Advice

Based out of Brownsburg, IN but we travel over much of US

Default Recruiting Suggestions/Advice

I am finding it difficult to recruit good locate Technicians these days and wondering if there are any managers out there that may offer helpful recruiting advice.

We are a SUE company specializing in providing horizontal & vertical locations of subsurface utilities and structures utilizing EM and GPR equipment as well as vacuum excavating equipment. We also provide GPS mapping as well as other related services. Our training program is extensive and continuous both in skills and safety. Our pay and benefits are very competitive.

We seek only the best candidates within our industry and Classified ads have not proved effective in the past in comparison to the expense. Other services such as Monster.com were even less effective.

I am open to any helpful advice or suggestions.

Default Re: Recruiting Suggestions/Advice

Do you work in Illinois? Around C-U or the U. of I.? I'm not that far but I can't relocate.

Dirt painter, which states are you looking for?

Years of Experience

Have you tried

HERE?
    Last edited by Goldenboy; January 8th, 2009 at 06:09 PM.

Years of Experience

recruit from the trade schools maybe???? classifieds are useless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! meaning your local area newspaper!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Banned

Dirt Painter, Put your ads here on locatorjobs.com
    The only small problem is that you will get experienced locators responding from all over the country, and they aren't working for peanuts. You might get lucky and get a local. But most want help relocating.
    good luck. When Obama gets in, cheap locators will be even more scarce.

Wag
    Years of Experience

Problem is, with more companies cutting back, the people out there looking for work were those who weren't good enough to keep their old job! I know one of the top things I'd look for would be prior job attendance! If you can't show up every day, even when it's raining or you're sick or it's Monday or whatever, you can't be relied upon to be a part of a team. When we have locators call in after 7am saying they won't make it, that puts pressure on other teammates to balance tickets... You've got to be counted on!

Yea I have the same problem to In MN and it is because just as you get a good one that makes it through the year and the winter comes they get laid off and they leave so it is a never ending battle and it sucks to retrain every spring.

Based out of Brownsburg, IN but we travel over much of US

Our Technicians are dispatched from their home and may work all over the midwest and beyond. We try to rotate the need for travel but is a big issue to overcome with applicants who are used to working a small dedicated area.

Ideally I would like to find a solid candidate in NE Indiana but I will hire the best qualified Tech with the geographic location a secondary consideration.

I appreciate everyone's input/feedback and it does help!

Years of Experience
    na

This may be an unusual strategy but do to reduced work loads nationwide with currently working or non working locators-

I wonder if there would be opportunity to establish relations with reliable locators throughout various regions of the country capable of performing subcontract work with/for you...

Send out an established seasoned lead guy to oversee the execution...Hec I need the physical exercise anyway spotting facilities...

I would nt mind working weekends to pick up supplemental cash within a 200mile radious...With my tenure I have time to take off and double dip if a project needed a couple days during the week... Other locators may be laid off...

Is a matter of fact Steve should create another sub-site like the Locator Jobs where those interested could post there geographic territorys and contact info for any related needs... Like a pin on a US map(ie realtor.com search by map) that when cursored would highlight basic info- name, contact, experience, insured uninsured, territories willing to cover, availability, and facilility concentration...A distant company may get a contract in another companys territory so instead of sending a larger roadwarrior crew across country could send a skeleton crew and pick up a few guys from a local company thats slack at the time( thats if the n-need knew who else is out there ) ...

Of course it may need to be a back room or encryption firewall setup to avoid being tracked over conflicts of interest issues with some companys...

A random Business or HO searching ONLINE by KEYWORD for private locates or sue type work may find such a site of use...They may get online and randomly search unsure of how to discover experienced available locator/company to use for private lines that they could nt get located by the One Call Service or find in there local phone book...

JAT- Just a Thought

CMON STEVE GET ON THE BALL!!!!

do I have to think of everything???
    Last edited by USIC1; January 18th, 2009 at 08:40 AM.

Years of Experience
    30+

Unless you had your own equipment and transportation. Because if you are caught using you company equipment, you would be instantly terminated. So you would have to be careful.

JAT

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Unless you had your own equipment and transportation. Because if you are caught using you company equipment, you would be instantly terminated. So you would have to be careful.

JAT

Figured that under the conflict of interest issue...

But to think, if we are responsible in saving these companys time/money by not having to pay us for securing there equipment at a company designated secure location daily, is it really to much to ask???

Yes we would have to drive our vehicles and use our own gas to that location and back home daily but from that location to the first job and back from the last job daily we all know who has more to lose...

Then there s a lot of pipehorns not exactly company issue...So there s probably a substantial portion of personal equipment floating around...