Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Recreational weed....

Years of Experience
    too many

Default Recreational weed....

So some states have weed legal, Whats everyones thought on this as far as what we all do for a living ?

Default Re: Recreational weed....

you know i was always curious. 1st off i do not smoke weed or do any other type of drugs. i have a friend who lives in colorado so i heard all about this recently. so here is my topic of conversation question or what everis as follows: in these states that people can buy and smoke weed legally, are employers able to discriminate against the potential canidates or do they just except that it is legal in their state and only test for other drugs for pre or post employment drug tests or a random?

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    you know i was always curious. 1st off i do not smoke weed or do any other type of drugs. i have a friend who lives in colorado so i heard all about this recently. so here is my topic of conversation question or what everis as follows: in these states that people can buy and smoke weed legally, are employers able to discriminate against the potential canidates or do they just except that it is legal in their state and only test for other drugs for pre or post employment drug tests or a random?
    Colorado court rules smoking pot off the job can still get you fired - U.S. News

Yup, they sure can as a matter of fact it was deemed legal to screen for nicotine and refuse to hire or fire tobacco smokers too. It's crap if you ask me but what r ya gonna do? Gotta make that money. I imagine USIC's work force would drop to 20% or less if they tried screening for tobacco

Can you legally refuse to hire someone who smokes?

Oh and Happy Bday to U too FL99. Had a ton of fun in my 30's. Enjoy.
    Last edited by daman1; March 23rd, 2014 at 10:06 PM.

Years of Experience

When you're at home it's nobody's business what you do imo. Period.

If your on the job I would respect the rules set forth by your employer. Period.

As long as your recreational activities don't overlap with work I'd say you should be good to go. But really - are you gonna get high and go marking out high profile lines, ect.? Would you really want to?

Judging by the looks of some of the locates I see in my neighborhood, I always wondered if somebody is smoking something anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    Happy Birthday FL! Don't take the chance on Tokin' the ganja, Mon... Makes one too giggly to mark a straight line! LOL
    Nb22x likes this.

Years of Experience

In weed legal states, the employer can still fire you if you test positive. Makes proponents mad cause you smoke on a Saturday and sometimes still test positive week or two later. They are testing ways to find if you smoked recently (essentially a marijuana breathalyzer) but so far all the ways have been pretty unreliable

As long as you show up and work, whatever you do in your free time on weekends doesn't matter to me really. But, the bad apples will spoil it for everyone

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mattm211 View Post
    In weed legal states, the employer can still fire you if you test positive. Makes proponents mad cause you smoke on a Saturday and sometimes still test positive week or two later. They are testing ways to find if you smoked recently (essentially a marijuana breathalyzer) but so far all the ways have been pretty unreliable

As long as you show up and work, whatever you do in your free time on weekends doesn't matter to me really. But, the bad apples will spoil it for everyone
    Also if you mark gas you are under jurisdiction of the Department of Transportation (Federal) and required to take and pass a DOT drug test. Fail a DOT drug test you are prohibited from marking gas regardless of you company's policy. You would not be allowed to mark gas in any company until you passed a substance abuse program.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

This is probably a case of 'you can't have your cake and eat it too'.

some over the counter drugs will impair your abilities. You can't take them and expect to work while they are in your system. Same with pot. If smoking pot is more important than being a locator, then you have to pick one. You can't have both. Life is tough, I know.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    too many

Im kind of with Mark What you do on your off time id your buis. everyone is of the same frame of mind as me if it is legal and you get sent for a random then what ? Me i could care less

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

We actually had a guy was parked and doing a locate. A US postal driver backed their truck into his truck. Since DOT and the insurance at USIC it is required to go take a piss test and such. He popped for THC and was terminated. He was a very good locator too. Unless you are buying and using those detox drinks THC stays in your system for 30 days.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Just before the vote on making it legal in CO and WA I had discussions with people who were for legalizing it. A lot of the ones that wanted it legalized for medical it seems mostly wanted to legalize it so they can use it recreationally . they said you could tax it and then when they did they complained that their were taxing it to high. Then they complained that they could not grow it themselves for their own personal use. I asked them how would the government be able to tax it if you were just growing for yourself. They told me pot is not addictive but also wanted some of the tax money to go to increase treatment centers. i was like since not addictive then why do we need more treatment centers? It is addictive 1 out of 9 people that try it become hooked on it.

Years of Experience

Pot smokers who wait in five-hour long lines weren't necessarily looking for a deal for Colorado Green.

An eighth of an ounce of marijuana, which would have normally sold for as low as $25, is fetching anywhere between $35 to $70, after taxes. After taxes, one Denver store charges recreational customers $411.81 for an ounce of marijuana, more than twice what many patients pay for medical marijuana.

The proprietor of Denver-based Medicine Man revealed to The Denver Post that, after taxes, the shop was selling an eighth for about $64, and although The Associated Press found at least one shop selling the same amount for as much as $70, Marijuana.com found that the average price right now is approximately $65, nearly double the price of medical marijuana.

So which strains were the most popular? All of them, according to dispensary owners throughout the state. But many also said their own custom and award-winning strains were big sellers as well.

Many shops raised prices or enforced a purchasing cap of one eighth-ounce in order to mitigate against a possible marijuana shortage.

Prices were also increased by the new 25 percent tax -- 15 percent excise and 10 percent sales -- on all marijuana purchases in the state that voters approved in November, along with any other local jurisdictional taxes on top of that, making recreational pot one of the most heavily taxed consumer products in Colorado. Marijuana sales are expected to generate nearly $70 million in tax revenue for Colorado in 2014.

Any Colorado resident who is at least 21 can buy up to an ounce of marijuana at one of the dispensaries. Out-of-state visitors can buy a quarter-ounce, but they have to consume it here. Carrying marijuana across state lines remains illegal, and the plant is not allowed at Denver International Airport.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I think they revised it and now it is closer to $100 million in taxes. always wondered how many people blew off work to go buy pot on that 1st day. funny is most people didn't want to be interviewed. i watched a show on MNBC and they had a dealer there that was still doing good business because people didn't want to pay $60 an ounce and was going to the dealer and getting it for $25. A small town tax revenue was so big that it is redoing their roads and such and providing small lans to area small businesses to make improvements to their building and such.

Years of Experience

TABOR may force Colorado to refund excess marijuana money to taxpayers | KDVR.com
    Article mentions $107 million. Also talks about Colorado tax law where they'll have to vote to refund the extra tax over their estimated $67 million.
    I've seen some places saying the prices have come down a bit now since the initial rush pushed up supply/demand

Also, I've seen lots of comments about people saying in their city they still pay $60 or whatever for an 8th of weed from some street dealer and would gladly pay more if they could buy from a safe store. You want weed for $25?..sure...but it's gonna be cheap $25 weed, ya know? a friend of a friend who knows a guy told me the legal store bought stuff is quit potent and worth it

Years of Experience

Thumbs up Re: Recreational weed....

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    The Price of Colorado Weed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Damn, I must be getting old..... WTFs wrong with me? I find nothing about these gals attractive. In fact, I find them both scary. I'm sure these ladies are nice people and loads of fun to be with. But the tokin' in public, the face piercings, the long, black fingernails, the studded bustier tops and the "in yer face" tats on the small tatties shout "Skank" in my book!.................. just sayin'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast