• 1 Post By Geomancer
  • 2 Post By daman1

Thread: Really?!

Years of Experience

Angry Really?!

Ticket says "Mark entire property even if there is no conflict."
    For planting trees and shurbs...
    Ok...

Can't you just tell us where you're planning to dig?
    (most likely in the backyard)
    Waste of my time.
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Years of Experience

Default Re: Really?!

gotta love this job !!!!!!!!! if your on the timeclock .....LOL
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by Nb22x View Post
    Ticket says "Mark entire property even if there is no conflict."
    For planting trees and shurbs...
    Ok...

Waste of my time.
    some days 50% what we mark is useless with the way they call in tickets.

Years of Experience

Also, a good chance homeowner comes home while you are there and wonders why in the hell it looks like the Easter Bunny threw up all over his yard! "entire property" is rarely needed. I call the contractor and ask wtf? are you digging b/c I am overworked and I am tired, tired, tired of 811 B.S.! . My days are numbered in this business b/c I no longer care what happens as a result of the stupidity and indifference at 811 and also by most contractors. I no longer call utility co. engineers and ask "wtf? is the white stake or pole with ribbon?" I take pictures to show no stake/no ribbon and move on. Wrong address? ....moving on. Sure, this usually results in another ticket being called in, short notice, etc., or even a call from dispatch asking why didn't you call them?

My answer is always, "I'm just a locator."

Years of Experience
    17 years

I got bit by a Yorkie yesterday. Right in the knee. Didn't draw blood or even hurt that much but I don't care. DEATH TO YORKIES EVERYWHERE !!!!
    Nb22x likes this.

Years of Experience

I used to have a contractor that would over locate everything. Every ticket was entire property, regardless of what was being done. I had homeowners come out and tell me they were only having their trees trimmed. One particular locate called in by this company was for a 200 YARD, not foot, yard radius of a roundabout. I very politely called them and asked if the could be any more specific, and they said no. I then proceded to let them know, since the ticket involved a good chunk of a subdivision, upon which I knew they would not be working in, I explained that it would take about a week to finish and that I would start inside the subdivision where I knew they were not working. Its funny how that caught their attention and said they would call me right back. I did receive a call within an hour and was told the only digging taking place was going to be inside the roundabout, about a 30' section. From that point on, I painted every ticket they called in as heavy as I could. I am talking they the lines became tripping hazards that you could still see 6 months later. I let the homeowners do the complaining for me.

I am not sure, but I think there may have been a few planes trying to land on a couple yards a few times.
    Nb22x likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by alsoran17 View Post
    I used to have a contractor that would over locate everything. Every ticket was entire property, regardless of what was being done. I had homeowners come out and tell me they were only having their trees trimmed. One particular locate called in by this company was for a 200 YARD, not foot, yard radius of a roundabout. I very politely called them and asked if the could be any more specific, and they said no. I then proceded to let them know, since the ticket involved a good chunk of a subdivision, upon which I knew they would not be working in, I explained that it would take about a week to finish and that I would start inside the subdivision where I knew they were not working. Its funny how that caught their attention and said they would call me right back. I did receive a call within an hour and was told the only digging taking place was going to be inside the roundabout, about a 30' section. From that point on, I painted every ticket they called in as heavy as I could. I am talking they the lines became tripping hazards that you could still see 6 months later. I let the homeowners do the complaining for me.

I am not sure, but I think there may have been a few planes trying to land on a couple yards a few times.
    A simple Xeroxed form letter, fill in the blanks and leave on door.

'Marking was order on your property by ___________________________________- phone # _____________________ due to their planned digging on your property. You can read the Miss Utility ticket on "WEBISTE" by going to Search Ticket page and entering ticket #_________________________. '

Can be fun to add who they are subcontracted by like the utility, municipality, etc. so the complaints get to the people who can stop the behavior.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

second notice - "wonders why in the hell it looks like the Easter Bunny threw up all over his yard!"

ROFL I laughed for 10 straight minutes after reading that!

daman1 - My heart goes out to you, dude... I have been bit before by small dogs and they piss me off beyond belief. I think we should carry some high grade Mace. Bear repellant quality.
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post
    second notice - "wonders why in the hell it looks like the Easter Bunny threw up all over his yard!"

ROFL I laughed for 10 straight minutes after reading that!.
    ya, me too!

Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post
    daman1 - My heart goes out to you, dude... I have been bit before by small dogs and they piss me off beyond belief. I think we should carry some high grade Mace. Bear repellant quality.
    I asked about this a couple years ago and was told no due to liability. I then told my boss they would hear from a lawyer if I got charged by a dog and had no way to defend myself, he said good.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by nb22x View Post
    ticket says "mark entire property even if there is no conflict."
    for planting trees and shurbs...
    Ok...

waste of my time.
    you go to those ?

Years of Experience
    3 years

Carrying anything besides company issued items and defending yourself with it is liability on you as it is intent? For defending yourself with company provided items is liability on the company and is self defense. So in other words, paint some dogs or use whatever is handy or lying around to get the job done. Thats how I have always looked at it and seems to work.
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I'd rather develop some kind of genetically modified virus that destroys all Yorkies and other assorted bug eyed ankle biting rat dogs. I am already aware that creating such an organism carries with it the very real potential of setting off a zombie apocalypse. It is a chance I'm willing to take.
    Last edited by daman1; November 11th, 2015 at 12:28 PM.
    phoenix827 and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience
    3 years

Most issues I have is the yapyapyapyapyap that makes my ears bleed. The "dazer" seems to work pretty good. Several other ultrasonic devices seemed less effective.