• 1 Post By jayc
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot
  • 3 Post By daman1

Thread: Reality TV Show

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Reality TV Show

Driving around all day from locate to locate a person has the luxury of a wandering mind. One thought I'm sure has crossed the mind of some locators is the following: A Utility Locating reality TV show. Hmm. They have shows on people digging worms out of the mud. A guy (Mike Rowe) runs around doing dirty jobs that most people wouldn't do. It seems to have done well. How would a reality TV show do about Utility Locating?

99% of my locates are uneventful. The remaining 1% are just a little more exciting than a routine traffic stop. There is potential for a whole lot of excitement but it never really happens. Sure, I've had homeowners yell at me. Some even ask me for identification. A dog will bite me now and then but that is about it.

Now, I ask the following question believing that reality TV shows are based on three things. (possibly more) That a show is watchable because it is either exciting, dramatic, or interesting.

What has happened to you that might fill a half hour TV show and be worth watching?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Default Re: Reality TV Show

I think the closest thing you'll get is putting the asshole in charge of USIC on Undercover Boss.

Other than that, how do you "manufacture drama" for a reality show about locating? Have another locator that you're "fighting with" go behind you and steal all of your flags or spray more lines out there, thereby unleashing the fury of the contractor? I dunno.......

Years of Experience

Nothing that great for me to share ....all these reality shows only promote one thing .....a fairytale ending ! NOT REALITY ! IMHO !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    17 years

Is it reality when you have a camera crew following you? Are you going to act the same? Talk the same? Nope. You'll act as smart and hip as possible and avoid anything not politically correct. The opposite of what is reality.

Put a camera guy in the cab of my truck and he'll end the day frustrated and angry suffering from 2nd hand smoke inhalation with the desire to hit the first liquor store in site.
    yahoo and Insanesith like this.

Years of Experience

LOL ...daman that was funny !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I used to work for a guy that marked gas in a densely populated urban city. One day he was going behind a building to hook onto the tracer wire on a gas meter. The gas meter was next to the back door of one of the apartments in the complex. As soon as he stood up from his transmitter, the door opened and a drug dealer with a shotgun pointed it at him. The drug dealer threatened him and told him to get the hell away from his back door. He said it was the worst moment of his life.

I have a personal story I could share. I hooked up onto a gas meter tracer wire at a shopping mall in a dense city. I did my locate and put my receiver back in my vehicle before going to get my transmitter. Standing there and approaching me was a police officer who was very angry and concerned. He aggressively questioned me about what the transmitter was and why it was connected to a gas meter. He thought the transmitter was a bomb in disguise and demanded that I open it and show him what was inside. Luckily it was a classic 810 transmitter and it was very easy to open and show that it was just a circuit board with batteries, no combustible material.

Years of Experience

OK, I've got an idea....but, by continuing to read this you acknowledge that this is my idea and credit should be given where credit is due (especially if you pitch it to a studio).....

Film a "reality show" about locators, but do it in Reno 911! fashion.
    TheCableVine likes this.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I once was locating a main street in a small town. Since it had lighting and such I was doing as my last ticket of the night. I left the transmitter hooked up to the gas service of a local bar. Left the area around 2130 and was driving home. i realized that when i got home from my 45 minute ride home. As i was driving back my supervisor called me. It seem the owner of the bar had stepped out to have a smoke. In the darkness he sees the red lights on my transmitter and hears it beeping. Bomb squad called and they used a pole and dragged my bag and busted my leads. One of the cops wife worked for the local gas company and when he called her she explained what it was and they called my supervisor.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I once saw the remains of an 810 that the bomb squad thought was a bomb and blew it up

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    I once saw the remains of an 810 that the bomb squad thought was a bomb and blew it up
    Had a co-worker of mine get slammed up against the wall of the back of the courthouse in '97 for carrying that metal carrying case around back and hooking his 810 up to the gas meter. He wasn't amused.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Apparently gas meters are super combustible. I think if you did blow up a gas meter the initial explosion would do more damage than the burning gas.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Now, I ask the following question believing that reality TV shows are based on three things. (possibly more) That a show is watchable because it is either exciting, dramatic, or interesting.
    Greetings Steve! Through my many travels countrywide on my P.T. NASCAR job, I have seen/met many celebrities up close. Three reality show cast members I have met are Brandi Passante of Storage Wars, Chumlee of Pawn Stars and Willie Robertson of Duck Dynasty.

Brandi Passante

Brandi is more beautiful in person than on TV. I met her at the NASCAR track at Los Angeles and saw Chumlee selling a T-shirt to a hottie at his Gold & Silver Pawn Shop in Las Vegas. Chumlee is fatter in person than on TV......... just sayin'.

Austin 'Chumlee' Russell

Hey Steve, I have learned through the years that virtually every thing I was taught to be real is fake/scripted. Reality shows are a prime example and are anything but real.

The History Channel's American Pickers is as scripted as the nightly news. Mike Wolfe and Frank Fitz do not travel in a Mercedes Sprinter for one thing.

Aerial shots of the Antique Archaeology van driving down the interstate are taken in various locations and the staged dialogue between Mike and Frank inside are filmed on set locations. In fact, they don't even carpool.

Mike and Frank travel in separate vehicles to the various locations along with a cavalcade of set dressing trucks, camera trucks, wardrobe trailers, hair & makeup trailers, etc. They have prior knowledge of the salvaged antiques to be purchased. All the actual negotiation has taken place months prior to the filming. Every piece Mike and Frank picks up is labeled/tagged with the pre-negotiated price!

Danielle Colby-Cushman

As fellow thick-chick-hottie Brandi Passante adds sex appeal to Storage Wars, Roller Derby star Danielle Colby-Cushman does the same for American Pickers.

I have visited the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop in Las Vegas three times and the only star I have seen there is Chumlee.

Corey Harrison - Richard Harrison - Rick Harrison - Chumlee

The show's cast sit in the back. All of them sign page after page of autographs for $25 a pop to a line up of people out front. Everything you see on Pawn Stars is fake. It's all set up what the offer will be for items brought into the shop and whether or not they will buy it. All trading is determined well before the show starts. The studio interviews the customers/traders who want to be on the show. The people seen walking around the shop during the show's negotiations are just extras.

The Storage Wars show is scripted. All the standbys that never seem to win a bid are simply extras placed there for atmosphere.

The lockers are loaded with unique and unusual items that are supplied by the very 'appraisers' that value them; and value them very high! The symbiotic relationship of lies and greed between the appraisers and Dan Dotson is the real genius of the show. The appraisals come from the owners of local specialty shops that get free advertising for their store while producing an inflated evaluation on the salvaged treasures. This gives the local store much needed exposure and Dan Dotson's real-life storage locker business filled with customers.

Dan Dotson

Dan Dotson is a skilled carny who uses all the crowd psychology tricks to separate his clientele from their hard-earned money and the appraisers are the stooges who shill the legitimacy of A&E's hit show.

End of story, right? Actually it gets worse; The Blatant breaking of The Sherman Act of 1890 and "bid rigging".

Bid rigging is the result of a conspiracy between two or more participants entered into for the purpose of artificially affecting auction prices. The parties' agreement to the scheme is the necessary keystone to establish a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act. Here are two important points about bid rigging that are not commonly known. First, a violation of the Sherman Act does not occur when a rigged bid is executed in an auction. The law is broken at the moment the conspiracy was formed by the co-conspirators. The Sherman Act outlaws a conspiracy made "in restraint of trade or commerce." The statute is triggered upon the parties' making an agreement to do what is impermissible, and it does not require execution of the plan.

Second, it is not necessary for the conspiracy to succeed for the Sherman Act to be violated. Again, the violation occurs immediately upon the parties making an agreement that is prohibited by law. If two or more would-be bidders conspire to depress bidding in an auction, they have violated the act even if their plan fails. Likewise, if an auctioneer and a shill, or a seller and an accomplice, conspire to artificially boost prices in an auction, a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act has occurred regardless of whether they gain a higher selling price.

Upon conviction, the statute provides for a "fine not exceeding $100,000,000 if a corporation, or, if any other person, $1,000,000, or by imprisonment not exceeding 10 years."

This show, for dramatic effect, breaks this law several times per episode! Every time Dave talks about running up the bid against Darrell, The Sherman Act of 1890 is broken.

As employee's of A&E, none of the cast are liable, however A&E is guilty of breaking The Sherman Antitrust Act as the corporation that hired and promoted the activity. A&E should be getting a 100 million dollar fine. Wait! It's fake remember, so A&E will never see such a fine, proving this show is nothing more than a "show" and not reality.

American Pickers Fake - Pawn Stars Fake - Storage Wars Fake

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheCableVine likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    I have learned through the years that virtually every thing I was taught to be real is fake/scripted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Truth can be found in the strangest places

Wingfoot, Kramit69 and Cheddar like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    I have learned through the years that virtually every thing I was taught to be real is fake/scripted.
    Didn't the space shuttle Challenger disaster occur on January 28, 1986, when the NASA Space Shuttle orbiter Challenger (OV-099) (mission STS-51-L) broke apart 73 seconds into the flight, leading to the deaths of its seven crew members?

No, only an empty mock-up of a shuttle driven by external rockets was sent up to impress awed onlookers and it blew up. What a fak-up. But NASA could handle it! They re-cycled the dead astronuts as brothers and sisters of the dead or similar. National security, you know!

The good news is at least six of the seven are still alive - only 30 years older: