Thread: A real Jackpot of a hit!!!

Years of Experience

Default A real Jackpot of a hit!!!

Yesterday, I received a call from one of my customers informing me that his fiber was cut. I knew the area and what was going on at that location. I did mark his cable and thought nothing of it. After a week went by I got a call from some one with a very heavy accent, India I think. A geological engineer. He was very concerned about the location and was I sure of my marks. I assured him of what I located and what I am responsible for. I did tell him that I wasn't the only one locating, that there were other fiber cables in the area.
    From that conversation I knew there would be trouble!!!
    Well when I arrived on site of the damage, I couldn't believe what I saw! It was as if the operator of the drill aimed right for my marks. I forgot to mention, this was for soil samples, vertical drilling.
    Well not only did he hit a 432 strand, he hit not one, not two, not three, but four fiber companies where cut with one ten inch drill!!! All where 432 strands.
    Talk about your Money Shot. download.jpgSorry I couldn't get a better picture but if you could see it you would see a perfect 10 " hole right threw the conduits.

Default Re: A real Jackpot of a hit!!!

I always told the contractors that "The marks I put down is NOT where you want to dig!" Especially with a 10" drill!! BTW... good job marking it accurately... too bad he thought that meant "X marks the spot!"

were the other fibers from the other companies marked? ouch someones in big trouble 432 strands too.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locatethis View Post
    Yesterday, I received a call from one of my customers informing me that his fiber was cut. I knew the area and what was going on at that location. I did mark his cable and thought nothing of it. After a week went by I got a call from some one with a very heavy accent, India I think. A geological engineer. He was very concerned about the location and was I sure of my marks. I assured him of what I located and what I am responsible for. I did tell him that I wasn't the only one locating, that there were other fiber cables in the area.
    From that conversation I knew there would be trouble!!!
    Well when I arrived on site of the damage, I couldn't believe what I saw! It was as if the operator of the drill aimed right for my marks. I forgot to mention, this was for soil samples, vertical drilling.
    Well not only did he hit a 432 strand, he hit not one, not two, not three, but four fiber companies where cut with one ten inch drill!!! All where 432 strands.
    Talk about your Money Shot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	709Sorry I couldn't get a better picture but if you could see it you would see a perfect 10 " hole right threw the conduits.
    Hear that sound? It's the sound of an excavation outfits assets being auctioned. Good job locatethis!! Proof yet again that there is no substitute for marking accurately!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Just reading about it makes my stomach get all queazy. If somebody called me up and asked if my marks are good I'll tell them (and have) to let me go out and double check before you dig. Sometimes I don't think I have the nerve to do this job.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

I don't think any of us will ever get used to that queazy feeling Steve.

Years of Experience

Well that company most likely will not be here anymore Ive seen one conduit package bankrupt a company overnight never to be heard of again......But if it was marked correctly you cant feel that bad for them you vae to respect the marks get off the machine and look for the cables not try to go under everything thats something im tired of hearing ...."ill just go under it " well now the problem is everyone with a jet track has put everything 10 foot deep and there running out of room to just go under it not to mention the deeper it is the harder it is to locate on our enr=d and dont bother trying to explain it to the utility companies why you couldnt locate it cause all they care is was it marked not that thier contractor put it in jacked up...."were paid to locate it" ..tired of heraring that to

I've always had that feeling that some contractors think that the marks are just a mere suggestion not to dig there carefully. I guess carefully to this guy was with a drill. Just like a bright vest being a target on my back for drivers passing by.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Again, sorry my a poor photo, but this was prior to the damage. My ticket photoprior-damage.jpg

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I think at 10 inches it stops being a drill and starts being an Auger...hehe.

I have a geotechnical engineer I work with, and the running joke between us is that he can locate the utilities better than I can. Out of 20 different locations, he usually places 12 of them right on top, or within my comfort range. He's stopped placing them in the field, and lets me do it.

Mke

Years of Experience

Damn, I just read what I wrote before and I sound like a freaken foreigner !!!!