Thread: RD8000 vs RD CAT 3

Default RD8000 vs RD CAT 3

hello all,

I am wanting to purchase the best locater I can get my hands on. Radiodetection sells the most in the world apparently. I have a RD400 currently which I find pretty good.

I'm considering the RD8000. Will it locate more than my RD400 and is RD8000 any better than the RD CAT3.

The less I miss the better!

Thanks for your time.

Pete,

Default Re: RD8000 vs RD CAT 3

All i can say about that is the 400 is good but they put more technology in the 8000 so its probably better but if you are in the market look at the ridgid seektech it has a lifetime warr, and never needs calibrating also on the display it shows you each line in the ground, just check it out before you invest your money in something and there could be a better piece of equipment out there for around the same price.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by petesheild View Post
    hello all,

I am wanting to purchase the best locater I can get my hands on. Radiodetection sells the most in the world apparently. I have a RD400 currently which I find pretty good.

I'm considering the RD8000. Will it locate more than my RD400 and is RD8000 any better than the RD CAT3.

The less I miss the better!

Thanks for your time.

Pete,

sorry can not offer any info to ya to help you but was wondering if the rd 400 could locate plastic without a tracer...someone told me they could with the rd 400???? thanks for your time....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

No, I'm afraid the RD400 cannot locate alkathine, plastic or PVC pipes. Unless as you stated it has a tracer

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    All i can say about that is the 400 is good but they put more technology in the 8000 so its probably better but if you are in the market look at the ridgid seektech it has a lifetime warr, and never needs calibrating also on the display it shows you each line in the ground, just check it out before you invest your money in something and there could be a better piece of equipment out there for around the same price.
    You must be a rep for Ridgid.........They aren't that wonderful, and aren't worth the money Ridgid is charging for a poorly manufactured, gimmicky locator. I am NOT and RD man in the least, I am Metrotech to the bone. But go with RD or Metrotech if you want the best for your money. There are other locating instruments out there that I have no experience with, but many others here do and speak highly of them. Search around a bit, ask for demonstrations of the locating instruments (as many as you can), and base a decision on what features you need, and how much you are willing to spend on those features.

And yes Chip, I have demonstrated the Seektech and it failed miserably in construction, functionality, and cost. In other words, it was cheaply built and will not stand up to the abuses of daily locating, it did not perform as promised, and they were asking for 2,000 more dollars than a fully loaded Metrotech 9890XT, which is a tried and-true locating instrument. The universal transmitter was a nice feature though, I'll give you that much.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Hey, the RD8000 is incredibly light, and slightly better than th RD4000, using the high freq. you can locate lines that because of no grounding you can't with a 810. But a new company Vivax also has the vlocpro which is lighter than RD4000, has all the features and more. Vlocpro also is available with any freq. you want, just ask and they will send you the upgrade to download.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I got tired of waiting for Vivax to send me my demo unit........so I ordered a new i5000 for my guys instead. Sorry Mark.....shoulda been a hair more responsive.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia