Thread: RD8000 Reciever battery slippage

Unhappy RD8000 Reciever battery slippage

Hi there,

Ever since RD made the new 8000 i have been trying to pursuede my boss to get me one, allways to be told NO! whats wrong with the 4000 that you've got? well i've eventually got what i wanted which is great, but i,ve come across a small , but very annoying problem every time i locate a service and go to mark with paint, as i bend down to spray, i very gently knock the reciever either on the floor or my foot, which should be no big deal right! Wrong when it gets a knock the reciever switches off then fires back up again, but in a different frequency and gain setting.
    so i thought maybe the batterys were loose, and needed the 2 plates bent forward a bit to secure them, which i did, ok it worked for a bit , but the problem has come back. it only needs the slightest of knocks and i mean ridiculously slight at one point just tapping the reciever with one of my spare fingers against it was enough.
    £3000.00 plus and they can't get a simple mechanical battery tray device to work properly
    now i have to drive 3hrs to there damn service dept to get this sorted.
    Don't get me wrong i'm a big fan of Radiodetection equipment allways have, but i just wish they would spend a little more time addressing the fine details............and breath ok rant over
    anyone else had the same issue and if yes what did you do about it ?

nxs

Default Re: RD8000 Reciever battery slippage

Be happy that you are not seeing the infamous “White Screen of Death” issue. Or as some people refer to as a battery problem. I have had this on both my receiver and transmitter and was told that while there is a fix, it required returning the equipment to RD for this hardware modification, albeit free-of-charge (still under warranty). They had it for over a damn month. According to the RD technician, this problem is well known and for whatever reason RD seems to be going out of their way to NOT let their customers know of these issues. I have always been a huge fan of RD equipment, but between my experiences with this product and hearing about good people jumping ship, this company has really fallen off a cliff the past several years. BTW, keep your RD4000, IMO its a better production locator than the newer stuff. Hopefully RD will be able to repair your unit.

Im finding it not as easy to locate the mains while connected to a drop at the house. With the 4000 I was able to do this with 95% of my jobs but the 8000 seems to not find them as easily. Once I hookup directly to the main it will run it just fine.

Ive only had my 8000 for a few weeks luckily I havent seen any of the issues that have been mentioned here in the past.

Years of Experience

" as i bend down to spray " I don't know what it would cost to ship a paint stick to the UK. I am thinking we could pass the hat and have one sent to you....

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

i have the 7000 amd it is touchy. IF i accidently hit the ground on the sweep, acidently kick it or bending over it to place a flag it has reset itself

Good news guyz,
    I've taken the 8000 back to the service dept, and fixed the problem, there seems to be a design fault on the battery connectors, all they did was to remove the positive and negetive clips which just simply slid out and then used a hammer and punch to put a small indent in the middle of each connector plate, bloody simple really, wish i had thought of that sooner, would have saved me 5 hours driving.
    the tech did say he wished the designers placed the batterys horizontally, rather than vertically, not convinced that would make a difference, but hey i'm just a highy trained professional locator, not a tech head surrounded by electrical gadgets and very small screw drivers, and star trek figerines and hot photos of weird alien chicks(which did make me aroused)lol maybe i should start watching star trek.........NAh.
    Anyways all sorted now.

Quote Originally Posted by Purelucklocate View Post
    " as i bend down to spray " I don't know what it would cost to ship a paint stick to the UK. I am thinking we could pass the hat and have one sent to you....
    i have a applicator spray can gun, but i still need to bend a bit to apply paint, i did try bastardising i wheel mounted applicator for making straight lines for parking bays, but i found it a bit cumbersome still, so any ideas are well recieved.
    in the mean time i will keep up the core muscle excersises to keep the back from colapsing on me.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by spencer newson View Post
    i have a applicator spray can gun, but i still need to bend a bit to apply paint, i did try bastardising i wheel mounted applicator for making straight lines for parking bays, but i found it a bit cumbersome still, so any ideas are well recieved.
    in the mean time i will keep up the core muscle excersises to keep the back from colapsing on me.
    Damn dude...how tall ARE you???
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

hahhaha good one dude!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by spencer newson View Post
    Good news guyz,
    I've taken the 8000 back to the service dept, and fixed the problem, there seems to be a design fault on the battery connectors, all they did was to remove the positive and negetive clips which just simply slid out and then used a hammer and punch to put a small indent in the middle of each connector plate, bloody simple really, wish i had thought of that sooner, would have saved me 5 hours driving.
    the tech did say he wished the designers placed the batterys horizontally, rather than vertically, not convinced that would make a difference, but hey i'm just a highy trained professional locator, not a tech head surrounded by electrical gadgets and very small screw drivers, and star trek figerines and hot photos of weird alien chicks(which did make me aroused)lol maybe i should start watching star trek.........NAh.
    Anyways all sorted now.
    ever think about midgets?
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

Quote Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
    Oh No! Not a secret Wanna -Do-A-Midget fanatic on the 'Vine!!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    Damn dude...how tall ARE you???
    3'2" haa

Quote Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
    not often but i did use one as a butt plug. lol