Thread: RD4000 Issue

Default RD4000 Issue

So I typically use my 8000's, but was trying to show a noob a thing or two a few days ago, letting him use my RD4000.

I put new batteries in the receiver before I left the house.. didn't turn it on though(it's been on the shelf for over a year, maybe two years since we got our 8000's).

Fired it up when we got to the job site and it comes up with a "b" on the display, regardless of which mode. I used it passively just to see what happened, you could hear the proper signal tone, but the display just shows "b".

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    New England Subsurface Imaging
    CT Certified WBE/SBE
    Concrete Imaging, Utility Locating

http://www.nesubsurface.com

Default Re: RD4000 Issue

This may sound strange but drop it on the pavement a few times my rd 4000 does that often and a nice drive way thump usually cures the problem

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

The display on my 4000 shows the "b" when you are in a passice mode, usually radio and come across a REALLY REAYLLY strong signal. Take one and put it in radio mode and do a passive sweep around the detector loops in teh pavement at traffic lights, and that thing will go nuts.

I have to bump and pop my 4000 from time to time. It has mind of its own sometimes.....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

the letter 'b' on a RD4000 locator can be an indication of the following. If the antennas in the RD4000 become overloaded, which can be around areas where high interference is present, around sub stations or under high voltage cables etc the letter 'b' will be displayed to warn the user that the locator antenns are overloaded. The RD7000/RD8000
    overcome this with a clever feature called Dynamic Overload Protection wjich basically detects this overload condition and automatically reduces the gain from the antennas by 100 times.

The letter 'b' can also be an indication that there is something wrong with the bottom antenna, could be that the ferrite is cracked or even dislodged. I would suggest that this unit is returned for service/calibration.

I should have been a bit more descriptive.

The "b" is on the display at all times when the unit is powered on. You can select any frequency that is available, and you still see the "b". You'll hear the tone that you are trying to locate rise and fall as it should when locating. The sensitivity graph does not move, and there is no numeric value displayed for signal strength either. Just the f'n "b"!
    New England Subsurface Imaging
    CT Certified WBE/SBE
    Concrete Imaging, Utility Locating

http://www.nesubsurface.com

Hi,

Sometimes it is possible to get the error code and from this code it is possible to say what is causing this letter 'b' to appear. Switch on the unit and momentarily press the on/off key and VOL will be displayed, turn the gain paddle until TEST is displayed and press the on/off key once. The display will scroll through displaying serial number, configuration etc and at the end should display an error value which will be something like 003,006,009 etc. Once an error code is displayed there may be more than one error code so turn the gain paddle and write down any other codes.
    Let me know the codes.