Thread: Rd 8001

Years of Experience

Default Rd 8001

So I just got this Bad Boy today and really haven't noticed much difference from the 8000 except for the depth and current reading appear at the same time. . Anybody out there know if there are any new features on the RD 8001?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160323_201153.jpg  

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Rd 8001

I think one of the best new features is the 'guidance' mode. It allows you to set automatic sensitivity controls like you would have on a metrotech vm-810.

This is significant because the previous RD locator wands never had automatic as an option. Now it does. Very exciting.

Because you can use all of their frequencies on the RD. Where the metrotech 810 only had 83 khz.

Years of Experience
    = (Current year - 2011)

"GPS equipped RD8100 locators automatically log key locate parameters every second, providing a comprehensive picture of individual locates, or allowing you to assess usage patterns over periods of a year or more.
    The data generated can be used to ensure compliance with best-practice, or to identify training needs before poor work habits develop.
    Additionally, the data can be used for internal audits or shared with partners or clients to evidence task completion, or compliance to their requirements.
    Usage data can be exported in multiple file formats for example KML for Google Maps to confirm where and when work was performed." -http://www.spx.com/en/radiodetection/pd-rd8100/

GPS in the trucks, phones, laptops, and now GPS and usage reports prepared by your locating equipment. Yay. Talk about redundant.

Years of Experience

I recently tested out this model. Other than the display and gps, the accuracy has been dialed in a bit more and the new locate bag is designed to not rip out on the bottom nearly as much.
    The function of the GPS could be used in applications for mapping out utilities, although a Trimble works better right now, I have heard that SPX is going to include a survey capable gps in the new models in the future. As of right now, it looks like the same that is on your phone, good to about 5 to 12 feet.