• 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By USIC1
  • 1 Post By USIC1

Thread: RANT and VENT COMBO...

Years of Experience

Exclamation RANT and VENT COMBO...

<Deep breath>
    WHAT THE F*ck!!!

So I get call from my sup, he says some people in an office reviewing e-sketch's of tickets said one of my sketches looked
    "gaudy"and that I painted too many lines...
    It was a townhouse clusterfck of lines back there, and I marked every single one of them for a primary replacement.
    I don't have 20 min to make a Picasso sketch, I have about 2.
    hmm... would they rather me not mark some lines and get a damage?...
    One ped fed about 40 hses.
    I swear these people in the office who have never been to the field before, just need something to comment on so they can feel somewhat useful...

So, The VP of safety for my company calls me and says that I set the drive-cam off 17 times in one week.
    was I doing anything wrong? no.
    It was re-programmed to go off when you hit a small speed bump or turn at a "normal" speed.
    He said he would rather have me go ALL THE WAY AROUND the bump to avoid setting the camera off....
    WHAT THE F*ck kind of nonsense is that?
    Another useless office cow in a suit.

Ok. by the end of this year I will have grossed $65k/yr.
    We have an incentive pay/ profit sharing program, base pay+tix/hr.+OT+lineal foot marked/min.+%'age of ticket $$$. and some other factors.
    Which is pretty nice.
    Now it is getting cut 75%, that shorts me almost $7000/yr.
    They say they are losing too much money....how do you loose money on a PROFIT-SHARING program? bullshit.
    Its called spending too much on dumb shit like the aforementioned drive-cam, e-sketch, gps, etc..

I have 88 tix in my box. Its the end of October.
    I have a 5 mile long RxR project, 6 pwr primary replacements, and a sewer svc renovation that covers literally a whole town, 500 hses.
    Tix in other ppl's areas, Plus all my normal shit. drops, etc.
    And no help.

Damage prevention is an important profession in public safety, it's time we are treated as such instead of taken for granted.

<End Rant>
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: RANT and VENT COMBO...

Quote Originally Posted by Nb22x View Post
    <Deep breath>
    WHAT THE F*ck!!!

So, The VP of safety for my company calls me and says that I set the drive-cam off 17 times in one week.
    was I doing anything wrong? no.
    It was re-programmed to go off when you hit a small speed bump or turn at a "normal" speed.
    He said he would rather have me go ALL THE WAY AROUND the bump to avoid setting the camera off....
    WHAT THE F*ck kind of nonsense is that?
    Another useless office cow in a suit.

<SNIP>
    This is a money issue, not a safety issue. First off as you mentioned the factory settings where the camera only went off on an impact or high G force event were reset so low they go off constantly. What they did was convert the camera / microphone into a spy device to allow them to constantly look at and listen too their employees.

The first problem they ran into was that they were having management review the captures off the camera and this took so long they had no time for any other work. Plus the more images / sound the longer it took to download from the camera. Download time by a supervisor was eliminated when new cameras came out that had built in cell phones that automatically uploaded the data. To get their managers and supervisors back to management duties they outsourced the data review to a service company. When you consider the cost for the entire company the spy camera program costs at around a million dollars a year to operate.

So the safety director wants less camera trips not becasue of a safety issue but because the company has to pay to have those camera uploads reviewed and a report generated.

Reminds me of what a coworker from the Philippines told me. When he was a child they used to catch monkeys with coconuts. They put a hole into the coconut just big enough for a monkey to stick it's paw into. They put rice into the coconut and set it out for the monkey. They monkeys sticks it's paw into the coconut and grabs a fist full of rice. Now they run up and grab the monkey that cannot get away because of the heavy coconut. All the monkey has to do to escape is take it's paw out but becasue it's paw is curled up in a fist it cannot pull it's paw put of the coconut. Then monkey only need let go of the rice but the monkey is too greedy to let go of the rice and is caught.

All they have to do to reduce costs is convert it from a spy camera into a real safety device by raising the trip settings but the monkeys are too greedy to let go of the rice.

Does it make since now that you understand you are dealing with a greedy monkey and not a useless office cow in a suit?
    UULC, daman1, Nb22x and 1 others like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    This is a money issue, not a safety issue. First off as you mentioned the factory settings where the camera only went off on an impact or high G force event were reset so low they go off constantly. What they did was convert the camera / microphone into a spy device to allow them to constantly look at and listen too their employees.

The first problem they ran into was that they were having management review the captures off the camera and this took so long they had no time for any other work. Plus the more images / sound the longer it took to download from the camera. Download time by a supervisor was eliminated when new cameras came out that had built in cell phones that automatically uploaded the data. To get their managers and supervisors back to management duties they outsourced the data review to a service company. When you consider the cost for the entire company the spy camera program costs at around a million dollars a year to operate.

So the safety director wants less camera trips not becasue of a safety issue but because the company has to pay to have those camera uploads reviewed and a report generated.

Reminds me of what a coworker from the Philippines told me. When he was a child they used to catch monkeys with coconuts. They put a hole into the coconut just big enough for a monkey to stick it's paw into. They put rice into the coconut and set it out for the monkey. They monkeys sticks it's paw into the coconut and grabs a fist full of rice. Now they run up and grab the monkey that cannot get away because of the heavy coconut. All the monkey has to do to escape is take it's paw out but becasue it's paw is curled up in a fist it cannot pull it's paw put of the coconut. Then monkey only need let go of the rice but the monkey is too greedy to let go of the rice and is caught.

All they have to do to reduce costs is convert it from a spy camera into a real safety device by raising the trip settings but the monkeys are too greedy to let go of the rice.

Does it make since now that you understand you are dealing with a greedy monkey and not a useless office cow in a suit?
    I always thought there was some kind of monkey business going on around here.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Nb22x View Post
    <Deep breath>

<SNIP>
    Ok. by the end of this year I will have grossed $65k/yr.
    We have an incentive pay/ profit sharing program, base pay+tix/hr.+OT+lineal foot marked/min.+%'age of ticket $$$. and some other factors.
    Which is pretty nice.
    Now it is getting cut 75%, that shorts me almost $7000/yr.
    They say they are losing too much money....how do you loose money on a PROFIT-SHARING program? bullshit.
    Its called spending too much on dumb shit like the aforementioned drive-cam, e-sketch, gps, etc..
    <SNIP>
    What you are explaining has been standard operations at the Big Name Locating firms for decades.

So you are on PFP, Pay For Performance. The more you produce per hour the higher your hourly wage either by gross amount or by added p3erformace bonus.
    A locator in the field has a baseline expense, costs so much a hour to put you out there. Once you work enough to cover your base costs profit starts. As your hourly production goes up the percentage profit you produce riases sharply. PFP gives you part of that extra profit and the lion's share goes to the company. Still it is enough that the employee is satisfied with the pay.

PFP is incentive pay that boosts production and profit. But the office worker does not understand how PFP really works and thinks of this as only overhead independent of greater profits. Reducing or eliminating this incentive does not affect the poor worker who will not produce more regardless of incentive, they just do the minimum they can get away with and go home. Removing the incentive is a pay cut for their best and most profitable workers punishing them while not affecting the unprofitable or less profitable workers.

What happens next is the most productive and profitable have lost the incentive the work extra hard and are now motivated to work at a lower level. So production drops and OT goes up. Also more personnel are needed to get the work done and they need be equipped with trucks, laptops and locating equipment increasing overhead more than the 'savings' in the reduced pay.

They are counting on their top producers to keep working at the same high level and this does not happen. You can expect to be threatened with termination if you don't but if they fire all their top producers they are left with the mediocre and poor locators. Now they need you more than ever.

Thinking about that greedy monkey about now?

Years of Experience

Sad but true Pro. The good ole days are gone. Most of the new hires are in their early twenties and they seem to think they have a great job when getting hired by a utility locating company. After they settle down, mature, and realize the full understanding of what the business is really like, it's not such a great job anymore. They finally realize after a few years how undervalued and under appreciated they really are. The problem is, if they, (me) stay too long, they, (I) start to feel as if their, (I am) stuck in the business, (ie vacation time, pay teter tottering on can they go somewhere else and get what their getting now). All we can do is get on the vine and rant and rave a little. That is our future.
    phoenix827 and second notice like this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

The Pay for performance cycle is an interesting one. I've noticed it myself.

Management decides to boost profits by offering PFP. The locator, wanting to make more money, works harder so they benefit from the PFP. Management sees that profits are going up but some of the increased profits are going to the locators. Management says "screw that" and they take PFP away from the locator. Profits then decline.

Later, management decides to boost profits by offering PFP.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

I have heard that STS /Utiliquest uses these. WHAT the &%!!! are they hoping to accomplish with these cameras? I'm used to having GPS, but A/V cameras in the truck is going too far. IF , better yet, when this happens at the company I work for, I'm gone! I would rather dig ditches in sub-Saharan Africa than have these greedy, monkey ass corporate whores look over my shoulder all day. And "NO", I'm not doing anything "wrong"......most times. This just feels wrong and seems like an invasion of privacy. Is every employee at this company subject to this or are "office" personnel exempt? I probably know the answer, and I can guarantee that the "office" personnel steal more office supplies, time, and resources from the company than do those out in the field paying the GD bills for the company!

UNBELIEVABLE!
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by second notice View Post
    I have heard that STS /Utiliquest uses these. WHAT the &%!!! are they hoping to accomplish with these cameras? I'm used to having GPS, but A/V cameras in the truck is going too far. IF , better yet, when this happens at the company I work for, I'm gone! I would rather dig ditches in sub-Saharan Africa than have these greedy, monkey ass corporate whores look over my shoulder all day. And "NO", I'm not doing anything "wrong"......most times. This just feels wrong and seems like an invasion of privacy. Is every employee at this company subject to this or are "office" personnel exempt? I probably know the answer, and I can guarantee that the "office" personnel steal more office supplies, time, and resources from the company than do those out in the field paying the GD bills for the company!

UNBELIEVABLE!
    From what I have observed Utiliquest has the idea that cultivating and maintaining good employees can be replaced by technology. This is a hands on business and that idea does not work here, in fact it is counter productive. They have spent millions of dollars on gadgets and service company fees for those gadgets, none of which makes any money for them. If they had invested that money in their locators, the only employee that produces income for the company, they would be riding high right now.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by second notice View Post

UNBELIEVABLE!
    It occurred to me to hide a webcam in the manger's office and hear the screaming when he found out he was on the lens side of a camera.
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    It occurred to me to hide a webcam in the manger's office and hear the screaming when he found out he was on the lens side of a camera.
    image_22184.jpg
    Search results for: 'camera'

Years of Experience
    na

I knew a guy that would hot rod the utiliquest truck - laugh and talk crap to the DM as the cam was activated... He was a trip and no longer with em...

I had the same guy show up with duplicate tickets on this road project I had and just sleep in the truck as I had most the locating done by the time he got there... Of course he was a floater and they typically don't give a crap anyway...

I always wanted to be a floater when jockeying around transferring or with a new company... Never could land that luxury...
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    I knew a guy that would hot rod the utiliquest truck - laugh and talk crap to the DM as the cam was activated....
    Like stomping on the gas when you come up to one of those "your speed is" signs?

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix827 View Post
    Like stomping on the gas when you come up to one of those "your speed is" signs?
    I know right !!! F-em if they cant take a joke...
    phoenix827 likes this.