Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Railroads...?

Default Re: Railroads...?

FRA can't do much, your right...... but don't tell OSHA.....you'll learn real quick it's not a small town in Wisconsin!

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    If you are not employed by the RR or a direct RR contractor the F.R.A. can't fine you, they can make idle threats, they are a regulatory board for the RR only.

And BNSF still requires orange safety vests and UP yellow ones, at least here in the midwest, though BNSF is far more anal about it.

It is a federal felony crime to trespass on railroad property no matter who you are unless you are a current safety card holding road worker for the RR you are working on. Even a guy walking his dog down the tracks is committing a felony crime and here in the NYC area, I have seen RR police and TSA put trespassers in their car and mostly take names and issue warnings.... unless a person is caught stealing RR iron or vandalism. RR re-certification for road workers must be completed once a year for each individual RR you will be working on. There they will tell you everything you need to know including the correct color vest to wear. Like highway work, it's usually the opposite color of the traffic control devices used on their property.... since most RR's use yellow safety tape instead of orange cones or barrels to mark hazards, an orange vest is usually required, but some RR'S HERE REQUIRE YELLOW, JUST HAVE TO KNOW.
    Also, it is VERY important if you go to a RR job to find the Watchman, funny kind of guys who have a lot of power and can ban you for life instantly, and tell him exactly the steps your taking to do your locate. They don't like you to cross the tracks too much and when you do, your supposed to make eye contact with them and get an OK nod, most importantly when you cross you look at them, not for trains. The rules go on and on but there are definitely old school union protecall that MUST be followed...... my employer used to get around this by telling me to go mark RR's projects after 4pm, after the safety guys left. This way, they didn't have to get me the safety cards I needed that my former employer and other reputable locate contractors had to figure in their bid on these RR contracts......
    The lowlife's that put my life in jeopardy were ranchers. Locators were treated like farm animals (low pay, minimum benefits, no paid holidays, on duty 24/7) just another herd for them to raise breed and sell off.........

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I haven't had any technical experiences on railroad property that differ from anywhere else when it comes to the actual locate. However, I am cautious about railroad workers. You can walk across the tracks or along the tracks if you are just out for a stroll. Nobody says a thing. It is different if you are working on railroad property, you better have ALL your gear on. That includes safety glasses. I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods but that is the story i've been told around here.

If I pull up to do a locate and I see RR workers. I'll come back later. I don't want to deal with them.

Bump! Have some great information to share with you all about this subject and gaining job classification of locators on NJ prevailing rate jobs pertaining to safety and rate of pay.....time for NJ to pass legislation to recognize locator safety is as important as any other trade on a project and locators deserve equal certified pay..... certain jobs may require a professionally trained locator as all other professions on the job are required to be from professional labor forces.

I will have more on this in one week as I am involved with a DOL injury hearing now...

****ing Dumb-Ass Chumps.... CLO didn't even understand his own Employment Contract they made me sign, ha-ha!! Felony GTA charges, DISMISSED....... uh-oh, that's gonna be a hard-a$$ lesson for a newly acquired company to overcome, your RM in a whole lotta shit now, too...... NJTransit, Amtrak and a couple other RR's not too happy wit your client now either, Slappy! Wave bye-bye.....

Well, Yahoo's been patiently waiting for some action around here,,,,,, and I'm not one to have anyone leave disappointed! But, I am a Gentlemen and a guest in someone else's house..... and in litigation. So, It's prolly best if I contact Steve first and give him some time to respond too. I'm sure he is very busy! I most definitely do not want to break his ground rules and I'm not here to kick a dead company either....... I really am here to get locators respect, safety, recognition and protection on Federal/State funded projects and equal pay. Move forward, remember history, but forgive the past! So stay tuned for a very interesting ride this summer, if it's OK with the house?

Years of Experience
    17 years

This may be a reason they don't like people on the tracks. I spent a lot of time playing on railroad trestles as a kid. Throwing empty bottles off them as a teen. Never had to run from a train though. I was lucky. Not as lucky as these two though..............

Two Indiana women survive being run over by train | Mail Online

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12