Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Railroads...?

Years of Experience

Question Railroads...?

Has anyone here located at or near a rail station/ yard or railway owned property?
    If so what was your experience and how was it?
    Was there anything interesting or special about it?
    I'm just curious.
    Thanks.
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Railroads...?

Yes, yes, and yes =)

I've also done light rail stations and yards as well.

How was it? Well, i've done it serveral times and sometimes it wasn't bad, sometimes it sucked.

I'm kinda curious where you are going with this? did you experience something there and are curious if someone else ran into the same thing?

Getting used to the rails is going to be the biggest obsticle. If your utilities are in the right position, you can use the rails to your advantage. The wires connecting the rail for signals are a big pain in the ass cause they usually run shallow with the rails. The good thing about that is you can typically see where they are welded to the rail and can guess how they get back to the signal box.

The other thing that sucks for rail is the FO cables that are bored near the track easement. We had one that was down 13' and within 5' of the track. Williams put a tone on it and was 3' off. Came back and they were 18" off. I tried with my 810 and a fishtape and got within about a foot. but the rail kept pulling the tone. We even shoved a sonde down one of the spare conduits and they were off a foot as well. I know a foot is typically acceptable, but we were trying to pot hole it to get visible confirmation. Water table was at 9. We finally got it though.

I had more issues with the electric from the ligh rail trains. They ran the primary in the middle of the two sets of tracks, and its big power. You have to battle between the elec, comm and rails all the way down. Hook-up points are few and far between as well.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

mke

I treat my locates in a rail yard (usually have one/week due to oil field expansion for Hess and Enbridge and another for a switch yard in the city) as though I were locating in a substation. Consider a rail yard as one huge grounding field for switch terminals, supplied power, customer owned communications, etc. With that much plant, not to mention the rails, things can get disturbingly bad.

I try and bring everything from the ouside in and never connect to the shield of the phone cables serving or passing through the yard.

For copper cables I pull out my butt-set, cut down a vacant pair, connect to the correct side (either office or field), unbond the cables from the peds inside the yard, locate on 815, put everything back the way it was, scotchlock the cut down pair and move on.

For a fiber I have no choice but to connect to the shield of course, but still work from the outside in. Fortunately the FOC's that parallel our tracks here are off the RR R/W and I have not had problems there, but even the ones that are bored under the tracks have located superbly moving the transmitter further away to a Coyote not near the rails. Have had super good results doing this for years.

Years of Experience

very difficult !!! have to use a low frequency on everything you hook up to ! walking away from the tracks is ok but parallel is difficult
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I think it depends on what you are locating. Are you locating something leading into the station? A private line for the rail station? Lines running with the rr tracks? There are a ton of ways to locate lines, it depends on what you are looking for, we need more information to continue.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I haven't had any technical experiences on railroad property that differ from anywhere else when it comes to the actual locate. However, I am cautious about railroad workers. You can walk across the tracks or along the tracks if you are just out for a stroll. Nobody says a thing. It is different if you are working on railroad property, you better have ALL your gear on. That includes safety glasses. I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods but that is the story i've been told around here.

If I pull up to do a locate and I see RR workers. I'll come back later. I don't want to deal with them.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

I dont have any experience locating rr's.
    (and from some previous posts, I dont want any! )
    i was just curious about how it is...
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I haven't had any technical experiences on railroad property that differ from anywhere else when it comes to the actual locate. However, I am cautious about railroad workers. You can walk across the tracks or along the tracks if you are just out for a stroll. Nobody says a thing. It is different if you are working on railroad property, you better have ALL your gear on. That includes safety glasses. I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods but that is the story i've been told around here.

If I pull up to do a locate and I see RR workers. I'll come back later. I don't want to deal with them.
    It's like that nation wide, the railroads are federally regulated and the F.R.A. can show up at anytime and start handing out fines for non-compliance. Even the guys that do the maintenance of way work have to comply to RR safety, including hearing protection within 100 yards of a locomotive. If you are not a direct RR employee the worst that could happen is being told to return when you have the proper safety equipment.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    It's like that nation wide, the railroads are federally regulated and the F.R.A. can show up at anytime and start handing out fines for non-compliance. Even the guys that do the maintenance of way work have to comply to RR safety, including hearing protection within 100 yards of a locomotive. If you are not a direct RR employee the worst that could happen is being told to return when you have the proper safety equipment.
    Actually, the worst that can happen is they can fine you. I forget what the price is, but it is to the individual and not the company they work for. Most the time they just flex their muscles, but they can levy fines.

It has changed, but a few years ago, BNSF and UP had requirements about Vest Color. One required most workers to wear orange vests, and one required the safety Yellow vest. I had my balls busted for wearing the wrong color vest. I will tell you not to wear a Red Safety vest, that will get you more attention then anything.

Mke

Years of Experience

hey Mke....I don't think I have ever seen a red one ???
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Actually, the worst that can happen is they can fine you. I forget what the price is, but it is to the individual and not the company they work for. Most the time they just flex their muscles, but they can levy fines.

It has changed, but a few years ago, BNSF and UP had requirements about Vest Color. One required most workers to wear orange vests, and one required the safety Yellow vest. I had my balls busted for wearing the wrong color vest. I will tell you not to wear a Red Safety vest, that will get you more attention then anything.

Mke
    If you are not employed by the RR or a direct RR contractor the F.R.A. can't fine you, they can make idle threats, they are a regulatory board for the RR only.

And BNSF still requires orange safety vests and UP yellow ones, at least here in the midwest, though BNSF is far more anal about it.

Years of Experience
    17 years

An actual Metro RR safety public service tv ad from Melbourne Australia.
    Beats the he!! out of our boring ones......

Last edited by daman1; April 17th, 2014 at 09:48 PM.
    EricB likes this.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

That was a great video.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    That was a great video.
    Gotta hand it to those Aussies. Who else could do a public safety message fun?

DO NOT TRESPASS ON RR PROPERTY OR ROW's UNLESS YOU HAVE ATTENDED OR PASSED THAT SPECIFIC RR's FRA REQUIRED YEARLY SAFETY TRAINING COURSE AND HAVE CURRENT ID CARD ON YOUR BODY AND FRA MANUAL IN YOUR TRUCK OR ANOTHER CREWS TRUCK ONSITE, PLUS REQUIRED PPE!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't say much about this right now guy's because malicious prosecutions, accusations and lawsuits are flying all over the place around me about this right now. I was almost arrested twice (once in the East River Tunnel by TSA) and injured once (which I could not report) locating fiber on RR property. I staged and started a fiber locating contract for a bunch of inexperienced morons who stumbled on a nationwide F/O contract only because the F/O carrier knew the guy who was running the operation was transparent, easily moldable and had little knowledge about u/g construction. Even the lady who owned the company admitted to me she didn't know which end of a locator you held! Think they recently sold it to a company with deeper pockets to pay the OSHA, FRA and court fines that's coming their way...... It's prolly going to be one of OSHA's largest cases of blatant disregard for safety when they knew what they were doing was against the law. I personally told them as soon as I seen the maps before we started the contract we need training from ALL the RR's the fiber traveled down. And I'm sure the fiber optic carrier is not going to be happy when their included in the complaints too.......

Oh well, prolly said too much already.....he-he
    BUT DO NOT ENTER RR PROPERTY WITHOUT CHECKING IN AND CHECKING OUT. THE ONLY PLACES YOU ARE ALLOWED TO MARK AS A LOCATOR ARE AT PUBLIC STREET AND PED CROSSINGS......EVEN THEN LEGALLY YOU MAY NOT BE ALLOWED TO MARK WITHIN 25' OF RAILS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast