Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mke

Thread: Questions to ask a locator salesperson.

Years of Experience

Default Questions to ask a locator salesperson.

What are some of the locator salesperson that comes around trying to sale his or her equipment. I previously saw an artical in the underground focas that touched base on this topic and I was just wondering what might be some of the other questions are out there.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Questions to ask a locator salesperson.

I read the same article. And was in the position of looking for new equipment. The one thing that put me off on that article was that it was written by two guys who work for RD. That doesn't take away from what they were stating, but they could easily ask questions that put their equipment in better light. For example, most of the questions they ask in that article excludes any single frequency locators. (i.e. the 810)

I think the first question should be product support. Does the equipment have a local option for repair or does it need to be shipped off? Do you get a loaner if the equipment breaks down? Stuff like that. Its not a matter of "If" the equipment will falter, its a matter of "when". You need to have a plan for when that happens. I've worked with the same 810 for 6 years. I know when she's not acting right and then I send her off to get calibrated (getting harder and harder to find parts). With new equipment, you don't have the luxury of knowing how its going to act up and typically you need a quick turn around or at least a shop that can loan you one while yours is out.

The second question is if you can demo the equipment. I'm not sure about you guys, but If i'm in charge of finding equipment, I want one that I have had in my paws before. There was one company that would not let me demo equipment, but the other big boys had no problem lending me equipment for a week or so. I still got my hands on the one I wasn't allowed to demo, but that was only by the good graces of an upstanding member of this board, who let me borrow one for a month.

The Article did have some good questions like the one about sensitivity, voltage capabilities, and accessories. You should have a pretty good concept of what you are looking for before you talk to a sales rep, so the questions you come up with should be taylored for the specific concerns you have.

One of the concerns I had was the ability to find marker balls. Not all locators can do that.

Mke
    Boss Man likes this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Questions to ask a locator salesperson.

I see your point about working for RD but also like you said there was lots of good stuff in that artical. The one and most important thing that I always do is bring in the equipment for a one on one with the rep. and let them show the equipment and how the works. And always leave a demo for a week or 2 so the locators can go out and try it for themselves. I have the final say in what the locators use, but only after it has full approval from the locators that will be useing it. I outfit all my locators with 3 pieces of electronic locators and want to have something that they will all use. Sure they all have their goto locator but incase they need something else they can try it. I have one other question also about the question Does your locator have Current Direction? The pipes and cables that you are trying to trace are usually near other pipes and cables, and frequently bundled up with them for at least part of their path. Ask your salesperson whether their equipment can apply a signal to your target so that the locator displays whether the current is flowing away from the transmitter (this is the one that you want) or towards the transmitter (these are the ones that you do not want). Simple arrows on the display can give you confidence that you are locating the correct pipe or cable, helping you to eliminate wasted time following faulty trails, thereby increasing your efficiency and reducing your costs.
    What if you extend your ground over another line and cause bleed off. Or how does it konw what line to target. Can you hook up the leads wrong (Red on ground and black on Target line?