Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for anyone who knows. . .

Default Question for anyone who knows. . .

From what I understand USIC has collective bargaining in some states. What is the name of the union that represents the locators in those states? How could anyone interested go about getting them to look into helping other parts of the company to unionize? I would really like for my state to be able to have collective bargaining rights to keep USIC from continuing to screws us. Any and all responses concerning this matter is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

You would then be getting screwed by USIC and the union. Save your money! Find another job.

Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    You would then be getting screwed by USIC and the union. Save your money! Find another job.
    Personal experience?

yes

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Typically the union will be the local IBEW chapter. I wouldn't suggest cold calling the union to become a locator though..... Its not like the electricians where there is a call out book or what have you.

Mke

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Typically the union will be the local IBEW chapter. I wouldn't suggest cold calling the union to become a locator though..... Its not like the electricians where there is a call out book or what have you.

Mke
    Thanks Mike. Is there anyway to get them working with us or at least TALKING to us w/o having to get a bunch of people's names (jobs) put on the chopping blocks? I'm really worried about repercussions from usic.

BTW I am a veteran locator. I've been doing this work for a loooong time. . .

Quote Originally Posted by locatingguy09 View Post
    BTW I am a veteran locator. I've been doing this work for a loooong time. . .
    To Mike

Years of Experience

LOL...dude....that was funny !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

USIC in North Carolina is under the Communications Workers of America, CWA Local. I know CWA3681 is one of them.
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locatingguy09 View Post
    Thanks Mike. Is there anyway to get them working with us or at least TALKING to us w/o having to get a bunch of people's names (jobs) put on the chopping blocks? I'm really worried about repercussions from usic.
    You can't be fired for trying to organize.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    You can't be fired for trying to organize.
    Well...if they are smart they won't call it that. You will get fired for something else. Trust me they will find something to fire you over. Honestly, it is in the best interest for them from dealing with the union. Trust me though locator00556 is right on. You are sadly mistaken if you think the union is the answer. I have worked next to lazy ass locators who made more than me because of the union. I have had to pay dues that when to fund political campaigns I was strongly against. I have had to fight to get representation for normal union things like contract renewal because lets be honest, they really don't give much care about the locators. If you want to know what unions are about follow the money trail. Locators are a very small group to be represented. They will take your money but then you are on your own. If you are that unhappy find a different job. There is a need for good locators all over the place. I know everyone is afraid of change but after years with a shady company that still does everything dishonest I took the leap and my life is incredibly better. I can actually look people in the eyes when I hire them and know I telling them the truth when I say that you will be proud to work for us. No union can make a company give you that. If you can't sleep at night because of where you work then it is time for a change. Time is all you have and then one day you find out you have less of it than you think. A guy named Randy once told me that.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by digger1214 View Post
    Well...if they are smart they won't call it that. You will get fired for something else. Trust me they will find something to fire you over. Honestly, it is in the best interest for them from dealing with the union. Trust me though locator00556 is right on. You are sadly mistaken if you think the union is the answer. I have worked next to lazy ass locators who made more than me because of the union. I have had to pay dues that when to fund political campaigns I was strongly against. I have had to fight to get representation for normal union things like contract renewal because lets be honest, they really don't give much care about the locators. If you want to know what unions are about follow the money trail. Locators are a very small group to be represented. They will take your money but then you are on your own. If you are that unhappy find a different job. There is a need for good locators all over the place. I know everyone is afraid of change but after years with a shady company that still does everything dishonest I took the leap and my life is incredibly better. I can actually look people in the eyes when I hire them and know I telling them the truth when I say that you will be proud to work for us. No union can make a company give you that. If you can't sleep at night because of where you work then it is time for a change. Time is all you have and then one day you find out you have less of it than you think. A guy named Randy once told me that.
    They better document it well, otherwise they are leaving themselves wide open for a wrongful termination suit.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    They better document it well, otherwise they are leaving themselves wide open for a wrongful termination suit.
    I am guessing you live in a world of optimism. Do you know how hard it is to prove that. If a company is looking to fire you they can document lots of things. Not to mention that most lawyers will laugh at you when you call them. They don't have time to mess with a small time locator position. This is from personal experience. I am not making this up. If the company wants you gone they will find a way and make it look legit. I guess you can always prove me wrong. More power to you if you can.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by digger1214 View Post
    I am guessing you live in a world of optimism. Do you know how hard it is to prove that. If a company is looking to fire you they can document lots of things. Not to mention that most lawyers will laugh at you when you call them. They don't have time to mess with a small time locator position. This is from personal experience. I am not making this up. If the company wants you gone they will find a way and make it look legit. I guess you can always prove me wrong. More power to you if you can.
    You're right. In any state that's “employment at will.” you can be fired for any reason or for no reason at all. As long as they just don't give an explanation it's usually legit. There are exceptions though depending on the circumstances.

http://resources.lawinfo.com/en/lega...o-reason-.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast