Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Question for anyone who knows. . .

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Question for anyone who knows. . .

    From what I understand USIC has collective bargaining in some states. What is the name of the union that represents the locators in those states? How could anyone interested go about getting them to look into helping other parts of the company to unionize? I would really like for my state to be able to have collective bargaining rights to keep USIC from continuing to screws us. Any and all responses concerning this matter is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member locator00566's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Better Place
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    You would then be getting screwed by USIC and the union. Save your money! Find another job.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    You would then be getting screwed by USIC and the union. Save your money! Find another job.
    Personal experience?

  4. #4
    Senior Member locator00566's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Better Place
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    yes

  5. #5
    Mke
    Mke is offline
    Senior Member Mke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Republic of Washington
    Posts
    1,536
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    34
    Rep Power
    77

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    Typically the union will be the local IBEW chapter. I wouldn't suggest cold calling the union to become a locator though..... Its not like the electricians where there is a call out book or what have you.

    Mke

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Typically the union will be the local IBEW chapter. I wouldn't suggest cold calling the union to become a locator though..... Its not like the electricians where there is a call out book or what have you.

    Mke
    Thanks Mike. Is there anyway to get them working with us or at least TALKING to us w/o having to get a bunch of people's names (jobs) put on the chopping blocks? I'm really worried about repercussions from usic.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    BTW I am a veteran locator. I've been doing this work for a loooong time. . .

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by locatingguy09 View Post
    BTW I am a veteran locator. I've been doing this work for a loooong time. . .
    To Mike

  9. #9
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,908
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    LOL...dude....that was funny !!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    You would then be getting screwed by USIC and the union. Save your money! Find another job.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  10. #10
    Senior Member locator_smbk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Posts
    205
    Years of Experience
    too many
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    USIC in North Carolina is under the Communications Workers of America, CWA Local. I know CWA3681 is one of them.
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

    - or -

    "It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."


    Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

  11. #11
    Senior Member Turk182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Posts
    311
    Years of Experience
    4
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by locatingguy09 View Post
    Thanks Mike. Is there anyway to get them working with us or at least TALKING to us w/o having to get a bunch of people's names (jobs) put on the chopping blocks? I'm really worried about repercussions from usic.
    You can't be fired for trying to organize.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    48
    Years of Experience
    12
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    You can't be fired for trying to organize.
    Well...if they are smart they won't call it that. You will get fired for something else. Trust me they will find something to fire you over. Honestly, it is in the best interest for them from dealing with the union. Trust me though locator00556 is right on. You are sadly mistaken if you think the union is the answer. I have worked next to lazy ass locators who made more than me because of the union. I have had to pay dues that when to fund political campaigns I was strongly against. I have had to fight to get representation for normal union things like contract renewal because lets be honest, they really don't give much care about the locators. If you want to know what unions are about follow the money trail. Locators are a very small group to be represented. They will take your money but then you are on your own. If you are that unhappy find a different job. There is a need for good locators all over the place. I know everyone is afraid of change but after years with a shady company that still does everything dishonest I took the leap and my life is incredibly better. I can actually look people in the eyes when I hire them and know I telling them the truth when I say that you will be proud to work for us. No union can make a company give you that. If you can't sleep at night because of where you work then it is time for a change. Time is all you have and then one day you find out you have less of it than you think. A guy named Randy once told me that.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Turk182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Posts
    311
    Years of Experience
    4
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by digger1214 View Post
    Well...if they are smart they won't call it that. You will get fired for something else. Trust me they will find something to fire you over. Honestly, it is in the best interest for them from dealing with the union. Trust me though locator00556 is right on. You are sadly mistaken if you think the union is the answer. I have worked next to lazy ass locators who made more than me because of the union. I have had to pay dues that when to fund political campaigns I was strongly against. I have had to fight to get representation for normal union things like contract renewal because lets be honest, they really don't give much care about the locators. If you want to know what unions are about follow the money trail. Locators are a very small group to be represented. They will take your money but then you are on your own. If you are that unhappy find a different job. There is a need for good locators all over the place. I know everyone is afraid of change but after years with a shady company that still does everything dishonest I took the leap and my life is incredibly better. I can actually look people in the eyes when I hire them and know I telling them the truth when I say that you will be proud to work for us. No union can make a company give you that. If you can't sleep at night because of where you work then it is time for a change. Time is all you have and then one day you find out you have less of it than you think. A guy named Randy once told me that.
    They better document it well, otherwise they are leaving themselves wide open for a wrongful termination suit.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    48
    Years of Experience
    12
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    They better document it well, otherwise they are leaving themselves wide open for a wrongful termination suit.
    I am guessing you live in a world of optimism. Do you know how hard it is to prove that. If a company is looking to fire you they can document lots of things. Not to mention that most lawyers will laugh at you when you call them. They don't have time to mess with a small time locator position. This is from personal experience. I am not making this up. If the company wants you gone they will find a way and make it look legit. I guess you can always prove me wrong. More power to you if you can.

  15. #15
    Premium Member daman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Off the deep end
    Posts
    1,121
    Years of Experience
    17 years
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: Question for anyone who knows. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by digger1214 View Post
    I am guessing you live in a world of optimism. Do you know how hard it is to prove that. If a company is looking to fire you they can document lots of things. Not to mention that most lawyers will laugh at you when you call them. They don't have time to mess with a small time locator position. This is from personal experience. I am not making this up. If the company wants you gone they will find a way and make it look legit. I guess you can always prove me wrong. More power to you if you can.
    You're right. In any state that's “employment at will.” you can be fired for any reason or for no reason at all. As long as they just don't give an explanation it's usually legit. There are exceptions though depending on the circumstances.


    http://resources.lawinfo.com/en/lega...o-reason-.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •