Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By daman1

Thread: Problems with marking paint in heavy rain

Years of Experience

Default Problems with marking paint in heavy rain

So I work in Oregon and it gets rainy, lately I've had a few jobs where the utilities to be marked are in a low spot and when it rains the ground over it basically becomes a river.

In situations like this the paint barely gets into the ground at all and mostly washes away after an hour of heavy rain. This is solvent based marking paint from rustoluem.

Sometimes the location is over an hours drive away and it's hard to just come back and remark it when it isn't raining.

How do you deal with such a situation?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Problems with marking paint in heavy rain

If it's raining I have never found a solution to putting down paint while it is raining. Sure I add flags but flags get pulled out or even moved. All my employers said don't mark while it was raining and we either waited for the rain to stop or shut down for the day.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    So I work in Oregon and it gets rainy, lately I've had a few jobs where the utilities to be marked are in a low spot and when it rains the ground over it basically becomes a river.

In situations like this the paint barely gets into the ground at all and mostly washes away after an hour of heavy rain. This is solvent based marking paint from rustoluem.

Sometimes the location is over an hours drive away and it's hard to just come back and remark it when it isn't raining.

How do you deal with such a situation?
    There is no solution that I've found. My only advice if they're pushing you to get the locate done and the weather makes it impossible. Put a mark down and get a picture of it before it washes away. As many pics as it takes. Bill the ticket so when they get there and need remarks they have to call it in and you have another 48hrs for the rain to stop.

Its a rude trick but sometimes they wont get off your case to mark when the weather conditions dont allow it.
    It always goes back to the 811 locator motto. Cover your ass.
    UULC likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    There is no solution that I've found. My only advice if they're pushing you to get the locate done and the weather makes it impossible. Put a mark down and get a picture of it before it washes away. As many pics as it takes. Bill the ticket so when they get there and need remarks they have to call it in and you have another 48hrs for the rain to stop.

Its a rude trick but sometimes they wont get off your case to mark when the weather conditions dont allow it.
    It always goes back to the 811 locator motto. Cover your ass.
    In deference to the idiot management wonks who say they could get a trained monkey to do our work.

CYA
    coverurass.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	CoverUrAss.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	1547

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    In deference to the idiot management wonks who say they could get a trained monkey to do our work.

CYA
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1547Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1547
    Lol.......
    They know it's true for them so they assume it's true for the producers as well.

Years of Experience

everyone has a responsibility and a job to do . Our part of the response is to use temp marks or flags or stakes to mark the area . So I have used flags and offsets on power poles/sidewalks/roadways for rainy days and of course my pictures. You guys that call in tickets also have a response , you call in a ticket by law and if you do not see what you need to see when you get there you call in a ticket again. Sorry , that is the way it is .Everyone has a responsibility and a job to do .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato