Thread: Private Locators

Cool Private Locators

Hi cable vine users. I wanted to start a thread for private locators to share things about their experiences, equipment, suggestions, and everything else about the day in a life of... I will post when i am not using my phone. I am looking forward to hearing you all.

Default Re: Private Locators

# 1 Rule: Have a good no liablity contract.(Meaning: not responsible for utilities not marked). Make every client sign before starting any job.

Agreed, no need for bankruptcy. I always try to get drawings areas i locate. Contact engineering firms, surveyors, etc. Sometimes it is very time intinsive doing so. Keep a great drawing library. Make sketches, sometimes pictures do no justice.

As most of us know, drawings are not always great, but it does give us an idea of what is suppose to be there.

In terms of equipment for private locators, I have always said that the bleed off effect for private guys is actually *desirable*. Why? Because it increases your awareness of what is in the ground. More so than an instrument that attempts to use a noise canceling algorithm in the firmware of the reciever. I love hooking up on one utility and getting 4 other signals, helping me greatly to deduce what is what and where it's going.

Years of Experience

Private locating is quite enjoyable. Never skimp the details. You are the last wall of defense in your career line in most cases. I also prefer to look at as-builds/utility drawings after I am done with the locate, or if I am having trouble with a harder utility like an 'inserted gas main/svcs' for example. I do not appreciate a pre bias view of whats in the ground before I start a job....I should be hooking to everything and sweeping to find unknowns - If the print shows you something you didn't already find I consider it a bad thing (unless of course its non-conductive material)

Years of Experience

Oh yeah - and nothing like keeping extremely clean marks, nicely stacked, showing all pipe bends / angle points and looking back at a job well done!

I require the customer to sign documentation that basically states locating is not an exact science and I'm not liable for anything that's not marked.. ESPECIALLY for blind searches.

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    I require the customer to sign documentation that basically states locating is not an exact science and I'm not liable for anything that's not marked.. ESPECIALLY for blind searches.
    This is key to a successful private locating company