Thread: Premier has a hell of a marketing division...

Default Premier has a hell of a marketing division...

Over the last 1-2 years, Premier has taken two contracts off of us, and has picked up half a dozen others in my area alone. When this was brought up to management, it was said that they will not take another of our contracts.

What management fails to realize, is that when our current contracts expire, how can we competively bid against a company thats already locating 5-6 other utilities in the areas where we only locate 2? I have a feeling Premier is going to become the only game in town in the next couple of years, at least in Pennsylvania that is......And I really don't want to have to go work for a different company because CLS is forced to cease operations in PA for lack of contracts.

Damn I wish USIC would get off their ass, and start trying to pick up some new contracts. Sometimes I wonder if we even have a marketing division?

I think I recall Mike Stayton saying in an e-mail that the priority was hanging onto our current customers, and providing them with a quality service, and if they wanted to go with a lower bidder then so be it. Problem is, these utility companies primary concern is price, not quality....... Damages don't cost them a dime, it either gets billed to the locating company, or the contractor. And when a locating company underbids their competition by $5-$10 a ticket, who's going to get the contract?

Wake up USIC!!!! Lets see a little more aggressiveness obtaining new contracts, OK? I so wish I could get the ear of someone high up in management at this company, there are many, many things I would like to point out about the "pennywise, pound foolish" methods of operation. As I've mentioned before I want to see my company excell, not go down the tubes, but unfortunately I have no option but to stand by and watch it happen....

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Premier has a hell of a marketing division...

I so wish I could get the ear of someone high up in management at this company, there are many, many things I would like to point out about the "pennywise, pound foolish" methods of operation.
    You can bet that this post will be read by the people you are trying to reach. You might as well go ahead and finish saying what you've got to say.

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    Over the last 1-2 years, Premier has taken two contracts off of us, and has picked up half a dozen others in my area alone. When this was brought up to management, it was said that they will not take another of our contracts.

What management fails to realize, is that when our current contracts expire, how can we competively bid against a company thats already locating 5-6 other utilities in the areas where we only locate 2? I have a feeling Premier is going to become the only game in town in the next couple of years, at least in Pennsylvania that is......And I really don't want to have to go work for a different company because CLS is forced to cease operations in PA for lack of contracts.

Damn I wish USIC would get off their ass, and start trying to pick up some new contracts. Sometimes I wonder if we even have a marketing division?

I think I recall Mike Stayton saying in an e-mail that the priority was hanging onto our current customers, and providing them with a quality service, and if they wanted to go with a lower bidder then so be it. Problem is, these utility companies primary concern is price, not quality....... Damages don't cost them a dime, it either gets billed to the locating company, or the contractor. And when a locating company underbids their competition by $5-$10 a ticket, who's going to get the contract?

Wake up USIC!!!! Lets see a little more aggressiveness obtaining new contracts, OK? I so wish I could get the ear of someone high up in management at this company, there are many, many things I would like to point out about the "pennywise, pound foolish" methods of operation. As I've mentioned before I want to see my company excell, not go down the tubes, but unfortunately I have no option but to stand by and watch it happen....

I am aware F#cked, I mean flat rate are the way contracts are going now... Thats whats keeping us in contracts... Fixed pricing is disappearing...So management has to sweat time, and not knowing the bottom line....

Squeeze squeeze squeeze...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    You can bet that this post will be read by the people you are trying to reach. You might as well go ahead and finish saying what you've got to say.
    Boy that's no joke! I logged on yesterday and there were 33 users, 5 members and 28 guests...and like 18 of them were all viewing the "USIC Handbook" thread!

Can anyone else picture an ongoing conference call with the RM's and DM's going through the site? Kinda funny!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

The above statement is probably true but at what price do you cease to make a profit. ATT used to be a huge profit generator but with all of the new Damage Rules and the amount of damage paybacks, hhow profitable are they now.
    This reminds me of the 2 Aggies that started their own firewood business. After the 1st month they sat down and figured out they had lost money because every cord they sold for $90.00 actually cost $100.00 to cut , deliver and stack. Their solution? They decided they needed to cut more wood!
    All I'm saying, and it's been said on this site many times b/4, bidding wars between the Locate companies only help the Utilities - the Locators will always come out on the short end.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

This is where density becomes a HUGE issue. If you can take 4,5,6,or more at one locate, then you don't need to charge as much for each. You can give that discount for each of the customers, and in turn make money still. I'm not saying to undercut yourself, but be cautious.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

[quote=2RUDE;17358]

Before the buy out this was Utiliquest's philosiphy. They would not cut throat just to get the contract. I loved that way of doing thing, At the time. those $800.00 bonuses were great. you went to work feeling like you made a diffrence. You went to work feeling important that you were part of the team. the president of the company would come down to our small office and take us out to dinner and hand out bonus checks like he was throwing money away. I loved that company. I wanted to retire from that company. There was not a thing I would not have done for them.
    They are no longer in business. they got bought out, but they would have eventually gone belly up. Because for how ever good we were, we were living a fantasy. Truthe was CLS was underbidding us in every way. we maintained one contract because we were good at what we did and the company was pleased. until they relised they could get the job done cheaper. Of course the damages were going to increase because with the cut throat mentallity also come the conveyer belt locating. the locators were paid less, worked harder, and stressed out to the max. This does not matter to the utility's all they cared about was the bottom line. So we got sold out and not only did they buy us out they destroyed the best operating system known to locating. I hear your plea for better marketing but becareful what you ask for.........you might just get it..........
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

Years of Experience

[QUOTE=NINJA;17422]
    Be careful what you ask for.........you just might get it..........
    Hey NINJA - That is good advise for any endeavor. Especially in the locating industry.

----------------------------------------

[QUOTE=NINJA;17422]

Before the buy out this was Utiliquest's philosiphy. They would not cut throat just to get the contract. I loved that way of doing thing, At the time. those $800.00 bonuses were great. you went to work feeling like you made a diffrence. You went to work feeling important that you were part of the team. the president of the company would come down to our small office and take us out to dinner and hand out bonus checks like he was throwing money away. I loved that company. I wanted to retire from that company. There was not a thing I would not have done for them.
    They are no longer in business. they got bought out, but they would have eventually gone belly up. Because for how ever good we were, we were living a fantasy. Truthe was CLS was underbidding us in every way. we maintained one contract because we were good at what we did and the company was pleased. until they relised they could get the job done cheaper. Of course the damages were going to increase because with the cut throat mentallity also come the conveyer belt locating. the locators were paid less, worked harder, and stressed out to the max. This does not matter to the utility's all they cared about was the bottom line. So we got sold out and not only did they buy us out they destroyed the best operating system known to locating. I hear your plea for better marketing but becareful what you ask for.........you might just get it..........

You're right....... I've come to the conclusion that regardless of what happens, it's out of my hands, and resigned myself to the fact that in the next couple of years when Premier has all the contracts, I'll probably be working for them......Right?

Years of Experience

[quote=2RUDE;17431]
    Quote Originally Posted by NINJA View Post

You're right....... I've come to the conclusion that regardless of what happens, it's out of my hands, and resigned myself to the fact that in the next couple of years when Premier has all the contracts, I'll probably be working for them......Right?
    By George I think you got it.............

Years of Experience

Premier cant hold a contract in NJ for long i think they lost 2 rather quick... i think right now they have a water contract in the south nj

Jersey is a different world. It seems not many companies can stay there for the duration. CLS was there for a while with Utiliquest. Now it's Premier, ECSM and another (I think).

Premier was a good company to work for but DON'T piss off the Long Island cronies, you WILL loose your job. They also have a horrible turn over rate, with firing and quitting. They will not hesitate to throw locators under the bus for damages (their investigations don't usually go far past it being the locators fault). Oh and when you do piss Long Island off, your GPS gets looked at consantly, you get phone calls all day long from the office about ignorant bullshit and basically they are getting ready to fire you but lie to you and say it's the 'client' who doesn't want you locating their utilities.

Years of Experience

Premier was a good company to work for but DON'T piss off the Long Island cronies, you WILL loose your job. They also have a horrible turn over rate, with firing and quitting. They will not hesitate to throw locators under the bus for damages (their investigations don't usually go far past it being the locators fault). Oh and when you do piss Long Island off, your GPS gets looked at consantly, you get phone calls all day long from the office about ignorant bullshit and basically they are getting ready to fire you but lie to you and say it's the 'client' who doesn't want you locating their utilities.[/quote]

"just like all the other companies out there" welcome to the wonderful workd of locating.....................