Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive Advice Needed

Default Positive Advice Needed

I'm at a loss:

Supervisor is yelling production, locator is in new area and has no maps, doesn't know her way around this area yet, is also being used as a floater involving a lot of drive time, is having to find hole in the wall stores to find maps she is paying for out of pocket, having little to no luck, trying to be as productive and accurate as possible, not a newbie, super still screaming at her for more production. Sarcasm, hatefulness, "your problem", "fix your map problem", etc. She's been in this business with outstanding appraisals for over 12 years.

Now the questions:

1. How does she prove herself a good and loyal employee without being given a chance at the starting gate?

2. How does she win her super over?

3. How does she make production?

Please don't think I am complaining. I'm not. I'm genuinely concerned about her. She wants to make it in this company but is not being given a chance. I know some of you are supers and owners and I would really like some good advice for her. She doesn't know about the vine.

Default Re: Positive Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by LocatingLarry View Post

I'm at a loss:

Supervisor is yelling production, locator is in new area and has no maps, doesn't know her way around this area yet, is also being used as a floater involving a lot of drive time, is having to find hole in the wall stores to find maps she is paying for out of pocket, having little to no luck, trying to be as productive and accurate as possible, not a newbie, super still screaming at her for more production. Sarcasm, hatefulness, "your problem", "fix your map problem", etc. She's been in this business with outstanding appraisals for over 12 years.

Now the questions:

1. How does she prove herself a good and loyal employee without being given a chance at the starting gate?

Please don't think I am complaining. I'm not. I'm genuinely concerned about her. She wants to make it in this company but is not being given a chance. I know some of you are supers and owners and I would really like some good advice for her. She doesn't know about the vine.
    Larry,

1. She needs to hang tough and stick with what got her to this point. If she has experience, it should work for her in due time. Someone get her a copy of Microsoft Streets & Trips, now!

2. Sups who yell, scream and threaten are done, or will soon be. I would kick any asshat who yelled or threatened me into the next county, no joke. NO amount of money is worth diminishing one's self respect. If you are a DM who condones this nonsense, shame on you. You're a coward, and a third rate manager. Go to Mexico and yell at farm workers all day if they'll have you....

Sups and DM's who manage well, and support the folks who generate revenue, have productive staffs. Period

3. Production will come, if the support is there. I repeat. Production will come if the support is there...

Good luck and God Bless to you both, we are pulling for you!

She has Microsoft Streets and Trips already. It's out of date and doesn't have the newest streets on it. She's called me at home many times to get me to use MapQuest on my laptop to help her. Some of them I can, and some of them I can't even find. Sad thing is, she is REALLY trying and has never had a problem with a super before and doesn't know how to handle it. I've tried to help her best I know how, but she keeps running into bring walls. She transferred from another area in the same company to our area about a month ago. She's been in 7 different counties so far. How can she learn her area and be productive if she's running from county to county and trying to find her own maps.

Years of Experience
    30+

LL, just for some info, I found google maps to be far superior to map quest or anything else.

The sup should be helping her along. He should be riding with her to give her inside info. If the sup is not, she should be talking to the DM. As a sup, I would nuture her along. Understanding is due at this point. If in 3-4 months, she did not pick it up then that would be the time to take it to the next step.

This same girl was doing highest production numbers at her last site and she had been there for about 4 years. She's fully capable - I've seen copies of her appraisals. I'D HIRE HER! Great attitude, team player, doesn't complain (unlike me), I just dont' get it. Her super has only been in his position for about 2 months and complains about how he's gonna quit, he hates his job, blah, blah, blah,.....

Years of Experience
    30+

It is time for him to go. She should not have to put up with sh%t!

Her super has only been in his position for about 2 months and complains about how he's gonna quit, he hates his job, blah, blah, blah,.....
    Bingo!!! Asshat alert!! Some people can't lead. For real. In my experience, it's usually the upwardly mobile locator. Or the "Lead tech", that make the worst sups...

In some contract locating companies, the sup operates a lot like a pimp if you think about it. I live for the day that this "business model" withers and dies. Long overdue IMHO......

I agree with you about her super, but I can't tell her that. And, how could you fix it if no one knows? The DM, I've heard from others, is just as bad, and the Lead Locator is the worst. Who watching the watchers? That's how they are getting by with it. He could literally ruin her 12 year career with his bad attitude and no one would even know about it. Talk about ethics! She's a single mom with a little girl and trying her best to make ends meet for her small family. She took this transfer to get away from her environment for her child's benefit. So, not only is she trying for her, but also for her daughter. And now she is stuck.

I don't know what co. she works for but her best bet is to demand that her Supervisor follow her for a day or so and then advise her , in writing , of her perceived shortcomings, and give her a detailed plan for improvement. If he refuses this, or if the plan is obviously flawed, then she goes to her Human Resources Dept.. If they have anything in writing from the Sup that could be construed as prejudiced, in the least little bit, they more than likely will have him back off. It worked for me - I was told after the ride-along that I was doing a lot better than what my Sup thought and was left alone after that.

Good Luck.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I don't know what co. she works for but her best bet is to demand that her Supervisor follow her for a day or so and then advise her , in writing , of her perceived shortcomings, and give her a detailed plan for improvement. If he refuses this, or if the plan is obviously flawed, then she goes to her Human Resources Dept.. If they have anything in writing from the Sup that could be construed as prejudiced, in the least little bit, they more than likely will have him back off. It worked for me - I was told after the ride-along that I was doing a lot better than what my Sup thought and was left alone after that.

Good Luck.
    Couldn't say it better, Spray. Best thing to do when an "asshat" (love that one BTW) manager starts spewing "Fix It!" demands without guidance is to throw it back at them.

If she goes to him and says "I've tried everything I know & can't seem to get it going, what kind of guidance or instruction can you provide?" Then he is on the hook for fixing the problem. Also, make sure she asks for help in email form so it is documented.

Then if he does not provide the proper tools for a solution & contunues to put it back on her, she then takes that documentation through the proper channels HR, DM etc.

There is nothing wrong with saying "I don't know how to do what you're asking, can you provide some direction?" He then either gives her the tools to fix it or shows himself as incompetent.
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

You guys are the best!!! I'll keep you informed on her progress.

And by the way, how many of you have to buy your own unreimbursed maps and shovels?

Years of Experience

I'm at a loss:

Now the questions:

1 be a good and loyal employee takes time...one day at a time
    2 be a good and loyal employee takes time...one day at a time
    3 do one ticket at a time have no damages.....then one day at a time!!!!
    this is my opinion only!!!!

Years of Experience

good posts up there guys....lots of good advice!!!!

Years of Experience

Show up everyday do all you can do and dont have an excuse for everything just tell it like it is and leave it at that as long as you know you are giving 100% thats all that matters

Agree with all the above postings... but the big thing would be to have her communicate via email to have the documentation! Document.. document ... document... best way to cya in locating AND in situations like this... I really feel for her... sounds like sup has a "problem" with her. (Maybe he's one of those guys that doesn't like "females in the field"!... those type are jerks anyway.. been there, done that)... Best of luck to her.. Keep us posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast