Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pissed

Years of Experience

Default Pissed

Why is it when you have hard locate and can't seem to find everything you call your Sup. He says to do the best you can he is to busy to help and then sends someone else ( a FNG) to help. WTF step up and do your damn job you lazy a**!! And the training classes are useless!!! I guess that's why we have had so many major damages! I'm really considering going to USIC.
    Sorry had to vent!!!
    Last edited by S&N locator; August 25th, 2012 at 01:15 PM.

Default Re: Pissed

i'd be certain usic would be no different.

USIC is no different if not worse.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by S&N locator View Post
    Why is it when you have hard locate and can't seem to find everything you call your Sup. He says to do the best you can he is to busy to help and then sends someone else ( a FNG) to help. WTF step up and do your damn job you lazy a**!! And the training classes are useless!!! I guess that's why we have had so many major damages! I'm really considering going to USIC.
    Sorry had to vent!!!
    S&N procedure is that your supervisor is not allowed to send another locator to help with a difficult locate unless he / she is unable to come to the site. It is preferable to ask for an extension on the ticket, something that is limited by Virginia government, rather than sending another locator.

Years of Experience

Sorry had to vent!!!
    Art S&N every damage is reviewed in a conference call and I have particpated in a number of them. (Yes, I am a supervisor at S&N) The bulk of all damages I have seen come from the locator simply choosing not to do their job right. for examples;

The Verizon contract requires adding 25' around the perimeter of the area specified by the ticket. Too many times the locator does just the area of the ticket, sees plant just outside the area of the ticket and does not tone it thinking it will not enter the area of the ticket.

Too many times a locator reads the print ( we all know not to rely on those prints) and does not look around the area to verify what the print shows and lines do not get marked.

Hook up at one point and try to mark everything off the one signle, not opening other peds to see if all the lines really ran through the ped and were interconnected.

Simply not walk the ticket area and visually look around missing plant not shown on the drawings or that the drawings showed further away.

Many problems come from a subculture among locators, those that think they know better than their teachers and bosses. For example you want to hook up and tone at the lowest frequency that gives you a good signal to limit bleed off. Far too many locators tell the noobies to ignore their teachers and supervisors, to connect at a high frequency and that they will be able to read everything without making additional hook ups. Thing is the noobies do not have the experience to recognize that they are following a bleed off signal, mark that and leave the correct line unmarked.

Failure to sweep.

Most damages come from locators that do not follow the procedures taught in class and as instructed by their supervisors in the field.

I am giving these examples not to say S&N is great but for the noobies to read and understand what to do and not do.

Many of those greener pastures you are looking at you can expect to be fired for even a single damage. Often the question is not how many damages you have but the cost of the damage. Five services, ok - one $20,000 damage (even after years of damage free service) and out the door.

It is a rare locator who does not get damages, especially early in their career, as we learn from our mistakes.
    I have had my share of damages and learned from each one which is why on later years I went for years at a time without a damage and marking a whole lot of tickets.

Years of Experience

Haha I thought you were talking about usic.
    Grass isn't always greener on the otherside.

Years of Experience

All of this still doesn't explain why when you call to get help from your Sup. He will not come out to help ( I think he doesn't want to because he doesnt want to get the cut also and look bad)

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Why is it when you have a hard locate and can't seem to find everything you call your Sup [and he] says to do the best you can (he is to busy to help) and then sends someone else (a FNG) to help?
    S&N procedure is that your supervisor is not allowed to send another locator to help with a difficult locate unless he/she is unable to come to the site. It is preferable to ask for an extension on the ticket.
    All of this still doesn't explain why [you try] to get help from your Sup he will not come out to help (I think he doesn't want to because he doesnt want to get the cut also and look bad).
    Hey Pissed - Welcome to the Cable Vine. Your S&N supervisor will never have the mentality of worrying about being charged with a damage. His worries are far beyond that thinking. With rare exception, first line sups know far less about locating than the FNGs (Wingfoot kinda likes the term FNGs vs. NFGs!) that gets sent to help you.

May I make a suggestion? Get hooked up with a veteran S&N locator with 3 to 5 years experience in locating on your team that can be your mentor. Choose one that both of you will bond together quickly. A 3 to 5 year locator still kinda/sorta locates by the book and teaches how to use the basics correctly. WARNING! DO NOT make your first line supervisor your mentor! A supervisor does not have the time to mentor; nor possesses the patience, experience and knowledge to be a good mentor. Sups make you mark the scope of the ticket plus 25 to 30 feet - YUCK!

For a noob, an 8 year plus veteran locator would be a very poor choice for a mentor. These senior locators are scary sombitches to watch locate because of all the shortcuts used to get the job done. These senior locators already know the basics of locating the noobs have yet to master. Senior locators know when to fall back to the basics when the scary shortcuts don't work (something the noobs wouldn't recognize). Also, the downtime exercised by the senior locators between tickets (wink, wink) would send the wrong message to the noobs.

Call on the senior locators when you get stumped on a difficult job. But please, don't call, "Wolf!" on every job. Use 'em - Don't abuse 'em!

So, Wingfoot's sermon in a sentence, "Get a mentor and leave the boss alone!"

--------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

Sups make you mark the scope of the ticket plus 25 to 30 feet - YUCK!

Contract requirement. We have actually had damages where the excavator dug beyond the limits of the ticket but within the 25' extra area required by Verizon. In these cases they are in violation of State requirements but we are not in compliance with our contract with our Verizon. So Verizon charges us with the damage and we have to pay the costs of repairs while the excavator is fined by the state.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

So, Wingfoot's sermon in a sentence, "Get a mentor and leave the boss alone!"

In general it is a good idea to find a mentor but, the main subject is a locate where the locator has problems getting it done. In these cases at S&N the locator MUST contact their supervisor who is required to go to the scene and assist the locator. In these cases the locator is prohibited from calling upon another locator to come to the scene, they must contact their supervisor.

The supervisor can only send another locator to help if they cannot get to the scene. A supervisor who simply does not go to the scene and just sends other locators all the time has a short career here.

Most supervisors came up through the ranks and are experienced locators. My area manager was first a locator and then a supervisor. S&N is not the kind of place where you get a management job at those levels just because you have management experience in a non-related industry. In short most of our officers did not come from West Point, they are mustangs.

Years of Experience

All of this still doesn't explain why when you call to get help from your Sup. He will not come out to help ( I think he doesn't want to because he doesnt want to get the cut also and look bad)
    That requires direct knowledge which you have, not I.

when you really need help, send your request for help to your supervisor in an email. this way you have some sort of paper trail documentation that you asked. Try that first, then the next time you need help and get blown off by your sup. send another email request and cc the dm and trainer.... that will get your sup off his ass.

Years of Experience
    too many

Cant say I like the way that company thinks. Call your sup and nobody else? I know at USIC we work our way up the ranks from a FNG to locator to lead tech and when possible Sup. I like what Wing says about calling a Tenured tech . Ive been around and I am a lead . I dont mind at all when a new guy calls. Im one who will go there with a new guy. Granted I may Piss and moan about it but I do it. Not only does it show a FNG something It tests me as well...Cant say a sup is the answerer for all things.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinnella View Post
    Cant say I like the way that company thinks. Call your sup and nobody else? I know at USIC we work our way up the ranks from a FNG to locator to lead tech and when possible Sup. I like what Wing says about calling a Tenured tech . Ive been around and I am a lead . I dont mind at all when a new guy calls. Im one who will go there with a new guy. Granted I may Piss and moan about it but I do it. Not only does it show a FNG something It tests me as well...Cant say a sup is the answerer for all things.
    This procedure comes from a very good reason. A senior tech, very experianced, needed help when he dropped a rectangular hand hole lid into the hole. He called a nearby relativly inexperianced tech. They got the lid out and talked about the job. A few days later a second ticket came for the site and the less experainced tech got it. The experianced tech had trouble with the locate and the second tech thought he could do no better so he left it as he found it with no new marks. $500,000+ damage.

The experianced tech was toning a duct run that dropped to 21' deep and his 810 could not pick it up. Mistake, left it that way without advising supervisor that job was coded out as completed and not everything marked.

The second tech came to the scene a few days later and thought that since an experianced tech could not find it he could do no better and just used the first techs marks. First mistake was failing to try and tone as his vivax could tone that run perfectly where the 810 could not. Second mistake was to leave that duct run unmarked without advising his supervisor.

So here a supervisor can send another tech to help but only if they absolutly cannot get there. It frees up a tech for production and keeps the supervisor doing their job working with the locators that need some additional knowledge.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Art S&N every damage is reviewed in a conference call and I have particpated in a number of them. (Yes, I am a supervisor at S&N) The bulk of all damages I have seen come from the locator simply choosing not to do their job right. for examples;

The Verizon contract requires adding 25' around the perimeter of the area specified by the ticket. Too many times the locator does just the area of the ticket, sees plant just outside the area of the ticket and does not tone it thinking it will not enter the area of the ticket.

Too many times a locator reads the print ( we all know not to rely on those prints) and does not look around the area to verify what the print shows and lines do not get marked.

Hook up at one point and try to mark everything off the one signle, not opening other peds to see if all the lines really ran through the ped and were interconnected.

Simply not walk the ticket area and visually look around missing plant not shown on the drawings or that the drawings showed further away.

Many problems come from a subculture among locators, those that think they know better than their teachers and bosses. For example you want to hook up and tone at the lowest frequency that gives you a good signal to limit bleed off. Far too many locators tell the noobies to ignore their teachers and supervisors, to connect at a high frequency and that they will be able to read everything without making additional hook ups. Thing is the noobies do not have the experience to recognize that they are following a bleed off signal, mark that and leave the correct line unmarked.

Failure to sweep.

Most damages come from locators that do not follow the procedures taught in class and as instructed by their supervisors in the field.

I am giving these examples not to say S&N is great but for the noobies to read and understand what to do and not do.

Many of those greener pastures you are looking at you can expect to be fired for even a single damage. Often the question is not how many damages you have but the cost of the damage. Five services, ok - one $20,000 damage (even after years of damage free service) and out the door.

It is a rare locator who does not get damages, especially early in their career, as we learn from our mistakes.
    I have had my share of damages and learned from each one which is why on later years I went for years at a time without a damage and marking a whole lot of tickets.
    Agree with you on every point, PL. My only point speaks more as to why the at-fault mistake happened. An overwhelmed locator is much more likely to have an at-fault. Newbies are even more susceptible to this as they are more apt to get overwhelmed. I've often said that if you followed every step to perform a proper locate as spelled out in the manuals and by the Sup, you'd barely get anything done. There are a lot of big and little things you can do to become more efficient without taking on more risk. That's what experience gives you. There are exceptions but as a general rule, and given the proper amount of time, there is almost no reason an experienced locator should get an at-fault other than occasional human error.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast