Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People who work slow on purpose, so they don't get moved into other areas that are harder to locate......

Default People who work slow on purpose, so they don't get moved into other areas that are harder to locate......

Alright. We have 6 guys in the hardest parts of baton rouge, 3 of them stay at over 100 tickets. Right now, I'm at 99 tickets. I started my day with 136, and that's before they added some stuff, and two emergencies. So, I did about 42 tickets today. In Denham, they have four, and they're ADDING A GUY to denham. In denham, each one of the guys has under 50 tickets, and most of them NEVER have alot of stuff due on a single day, compared to us in BR.

These guys work slow on purpose, so they don't finish everything and then get obligated to come and try to help us out here in BR..Because everyone ****ing hates BR...One of our guys, I'm not saying any names but I think he's a punk, he actually told our top guy, 'put me in br and I'll quit.' Goddamnit, adaptation is one thing human beings are great at, and this guy is just a disgrace to the human race imho.... I don't even need the help, I pounded out 42 tickets today.... and tommarrow, I'm gonna get down to 69 tickets, hopefully. (Sitting at 99 right now, no drops on my route lol. I started the day at 136, aforementioned above, but 5-10 tickets get added periodically throughout the day as you all know.)

One of our guys, SITS AT OVER 200 TICKETS and still, nobody gives a shit about helping him. I wish we could get some of these Denham ****heads over here to help with Baton Rouge. Because when Spring/Summer hit, and the REAL DEAL HOLYFIELD type ticketloads start pouring in, I won't be suprised to see myself, or my colleages, sitting at over 300 tickets.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Default Re: People who work slow on purpose, so they don't get moved into other areas that are harder to locate......

that's it for my rants, I had a 42 ticket day that didn't involve a single drop, time to go get a beer.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Default Re: People who work slow on purpose, so they don't get moved into other areas that are harder to locate......

Bummer. Not much you can do about it, but do what you can do. I know it's frustrating. Maybe some peer pressure will work on them.

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    Alright. We have 6 guys in the hardest parts of baton rouge, 3 of them stay at over 100 tickets. Right now, I'm at 99 tickets. I started my day with 136, and that's before they added some stuff, and two emergencies. So, I did about 42 tickets today. In Denham, they have four, and they're ADDING A GUY to denham. In denham, each one of the guys has under 50 tickets, and most of them NEVER have alot of stuff due on a single day, compared to us in BR.

These guys work slow on purpose, so they don't finish everything and then get obligated to come and try to help us out here in BR..Because everyone ****ing hates BR...One of our guys, I'm not saying any names but I think he's a punk, he actually told our top guy, 'put me in br and I'll quit.' Goddamnit, adaptation is one thing human beings are great at, and this guy is just a disgrace to the human race imho.... I don't even need the help, I pounded out 42 tickets today.... and tommarrow, I'm gonna get down to 69 tickets, hopefully. (Sitting at 99 right now, no drops on my route lol. I started the day at 136, aforementioned above, but 5-10 tickets get added periodically throughout the day as you all know.)

One of our guys, SITS AT OVER 200 TICKETS and still, nobody gives a shit about helping him. I wish we could get some of these Denham ****heads over here to help with Baton Rouge. Because when Spring/Summer hit, and the REAL DEAL HOLYFIELD type ticketloads start pouring in, I won't be suprised to see myself, or my colleages, sitting at over 300 tickets.
    You need to stop looking at your fellow locator's and do your work and go home. If your Supervisor are not willing to help you out then you need to focus on your work and let them sink. That all you can do.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Paintcan View Post
    You need to stop looking at your fellow locator's and do your work and go home. If your Supervisor are not willing to help you out then you need to focus on your work and let them sink. That all you can do.
    It sounds like he is concentrating mostly on his route and merely questioning how his bosses are dividing up the crazy workload. I would too if I had that many tickets on a daily basis.

And in this industry, as with most others, it is fair to think that some people aren't giving their full effort so as to avoid having to work harder. Some people are just lazy pricks who think their employers should pay to do absolutely nothing.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    It sounds like he is concentrating mostly on his route and merely questioning how his bosses are dividing up the crazy workload. I would too if I had that many tickets on a daily basis.

And in this industry, as with most others, it is fair to think that some people aren't giving their full effort so as to avoid having to work harder. Some people are just lazy pricks who think their employers should pay to do absolutely nothing.
    Or, they are doing their tickets correctly, or they have more Project Tickets. Be careful b/4 you make accusations against your fellow locators. If they are consistently doing 50 tickets each per day, I don't see a problem with their production.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Or, they are doing their tickets correctly, or they have more Project Tickets. Be careful b/4 you make accusations against your fellow locators. If they are consistently doing 50 tickets each per day, I don't see a problem with their production.
    Good point. It's easy to look at the numbers at the end of the day and make assumptions on who's working harder than who.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

I hate to say, but some people just work faster then others. (not saying you are slow) We have one person here, just under 1 year, within 2 months on her own, she was hitting my numbers for production. I know I am not a real fast worker a lot of the time, but she was covering probably 3 times the area I was!!! (I got the city) Yes, her hit ratio was a LOT higher then mine, but it has come way down, and her production has gone up a bit. If she would just relax a it when she gets something big/high profile, she is fine. Me, I coasted a bit last year, (but kept my hits down) and am going to get my numbers up and KEEP my hits down. (no more stupid ones @ least!!)
    My point is, fast is good, good is good, fast AND good is great! Sounds like thats where you are.

Years of Experience

scap....those type of things really aggrevate me too!!!! hang in there....try to focus on making your area better than good and let the supervisor worry himself to death about all those other problems that you don't have to worry about when you go home at the end of the day!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Ticket loads have never bothered me, its the project tickets that some people never start nor finish and leave them sitting that end up in my load... Burns me up when theres no notes nor paint on the ground on a week old project that should be a normal locate and I have to cross through my 2 areas to get to these junk tickets clear across the county.
    Atheism-The belief that there was nothing and nothing hapened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self-replication bits which then turned into dinosaurs...makes perfect sense.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I know what you mean. I worked for a company that promise us help and it would never come. We were going through a cable re-build and were getting hammered on a daily basis. We asked for help the first two weeks and were always told, "sure, as soon as so and so frees up we'll send him up there and he'll be there for half the day." That never happened. After the second week we never asked again. The funny part was, when the re-build moved south to the other area, we were told, not asked to go help the other office. in the first week i completed my ticket load and would go south. I would kick out 20-25 tickets in a couple of hours and I would leave. I found out through a fellow locator that some of the people down there were only doing 20-25 tickets of comperable size to mine in a whole day. I convieniantly became busy enough not to be able to help out down there.

My Point is, I have no issues helping as long as I see people pulling their weight. When I drive by someones house and see their rig sitting in the drive way and I still have 5 tickets and an hour drive home to do...i'm a little pissed.

Years of Experience

Lightbulb Re: People who work slow on purpose, so they don't get moved into other areas that are harder to locate......

OK....
    You guys that are knocking out 40+ tickets per (8hr day) right?...Some questions for you...
    Cause I want to know how you're managing...

1.What type of tickets are you doing, updates, mainline runs/ no drops, fence installs?

I'm doing clusterf*ck townhomes and big houses, LOTS OF DROPS, crossings etc.
    Mostly for fiber installation so even if it is marked, its as good as CUT.
    I'm averaging 11-18 per day.

All locators should strive for the best of accuracy over "time constraints" reasonably of course,
    If it takes 5 minutes longer to find a hard plastic gas svc with no tracer then OK.
    Its better than costing the company
    a couple thousand $$ for a damage.

I once had a hit on a Gas Svc for a CATV drop, marked CORRECTLY, near the main, guess how deep it was?
    6".......
    NEVER ASSUME/ GUESS TO SAVE TIME, costs more $$$ than its worth.

2. How many utilities are you marking?

You guys doing 40-50+ tickets are marking maybe 2?
    I've got 5, CATV, PWR, PHONE, FIBER(2), GAS.

Production is great, It's part of out job. but there are many things that factor into it.
    My 2 cents.

Years of Experience

hey NB ....this was years ago when this was going on and at the time it was only a one or two way ticket depending on what area you worked .....phone and power was the major ones! it was ALL types of tickets all the above you mentioned. at that time in history the esketch system and drivecams had just come out and the locators across the state had come together and decided as a whole that they were going to let the tickets just get out of hand to break the system and in the end ......it did ...util eventually came to an end !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nb22x View Post
    OK....
    You guys that are knocking out 40+ tickets per (8hr day) right?...Some questions for you...
    Cause I want to know how you're managing...

1.What type of tickets are you doing, updates, mainline runs/ no drops, fence installs?

I'm doing clusterf*ck townhomes and big houses, LOTS OF DROPS, crossings etc.
    Mostly for fiber installation so even if it is marked, its as good as CUT.
    I'm averaging 11-18 per day.

All locators should strive for the best of accuracy over "time constraints" reasonably of course,
    If it takes 5 minutes longer to find a hard plastic gas svc with no tracer then OK.
    Its better than costing the company
    a couple thousand $$ for a damage.

I once had a hit on a Gas Svc for a CATV drop, marked CORRECTLY, near the main, guess how deep it was?
    6".......
    NEVER ASSUME/ GUESS TO SAVE TIME, costs more $$$ than its worth.

2. How many utilities are you marking?

You guys doing 40-50+ tickets are marking maybe 2?
    I've got 5, CATV, PWR, PHONE, FIBER(2), GAS.

Production is great, It's part of out job. but there are many things that factor into it.
    My 2 cents.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I set up the days work for the locators the day before. I pay attention to the number and type of tickets and distribute them into other locator's areas as needed. The one's that slow intentionally down their work find themselves neck deep in work.

Still some run into problems on a ticket(s), have vehicle, equipment or computer problems and will need help later in the day.

I find people who drag their heals cannot bring themselves to sit an extra 5 or 10 minutes on a job, the itch is move is too great. Plus they fear getting stuck on a hard job and having to stay after hours to finish so they 'hold' or 'pocket' tickets. This where they finish the job and go to the next without coding out the ticket. Often they allow these tickets to build up until they have a nice block of time. So they have time to sit on their butts and extra hour or two a day and not have to go help anybody.

The thing is these people are too lazy to take the effort to be deceptive well enough that when an experienced locator such as myself becomes a supervisor they get caught. I just pull up their completed tickets and then sort them by time completed, any irregularity shows right up. I only need GPS for a formal report for disciplinary action.

One of the locators I have, just got a rearranged group with people new to me, showed outward signs of holding / pocketing tickets. I did not pull his GPS, I pulled up and sorted by completed time his work. There were problems with the completion times when compared to the type work and type of ticket. As an example there were two update tickets that were clear and one service drop to a house taking 90 minutes marking one utility. Possible but unlikely and compared to the other irregularities looked more and more likely holding was being done. Now GPS arrival and departure times were checked against the reported completion times and many did not match. This locator was sitting on their butt the last hour or two each day while the others were working their butts off. When asked to work OT and help out the others, whose OT would not be needed if he had helped them, he always 'had plans'.

Rather than fire him for time sheet fraud, which can also be prosecuted as a felony in addition to the state will not pay unemployment benefits, he was given the longest suspension ever given out as a deterrent to everybody. So this month his paycheck will be over $1,800 dollars short not counting OT that was available. If this deterrent does not work in the future such action will result in much simpler action, they just get fired.

Of course there are those that only work at one pace, unless it means getting off say for a holiday weekend. These people seldom meet minimum production goals and if the work load drops to where layoffs are justified they go, I have one of those in my group. Does good work, no damages and passing audits but so are less experienced locators that have higher production. If the work load drops they get laid-off before the others that are out making the effort.

There is always a flip side to it as well. No one seems to talk about the guys who slow down to force others into helping do there work. Have two of them that always "help" each other all day long. They push tickets off and slow down projects so other locators are forced into covering their area. Sorry had to bitch about some of the d!%$ in my group.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast