Thread: Peak and Null

Default Peak and Null

I tend to lean towards peak with arrows with my Vivax locpro I suppose because bigger numbers make sense to me when I get closer to my target. So far it has been my friend but I know my locator can do more. Does anyone use peak to locate and confirm with null? Besides verification, is null used for any specific reason other than just being the invert to peak?

Default Re: Peak and Null

Quote Originally Posted by Gettinit View Post
    I tend to lean towards peak with arrows with my Vivax locpro I suppose because bigger numbers make sense to me when I get closer to my target. So far it has been my friend but I know my locator can do more. Does anyone use peak to locate and confirm with null? Besides verification, is null used for any specific reason other than just being the invert to peak?
    that is how i was taught and i locate in peak and verify in null(null with the arrows on 0 gain) i did a comparison with the rd 4k and the v loc pro the other day, rd in 819 gain below or at 30 perfect signal high milliamps. v lock same frq gain setting; v loc was off by 6 inches compared to my rd. i peak and null every mark i put down and constantly check for any kind of bend or trend of depth to know that i am still on my target line. you'd be surprised at how many time i have seen locators mis mark stuff assuming shit always runs perfectly straight. i have been locating 6 years and have only ever had 1 minor damage due to myself not being familar with subsite and fudged up prints.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    that is how i was taught and i locate in peak and verify in null(null with the arrows on 0 gain) i did a comparison with the rd 4k and the v loc pro the other day, rd in 819 gain below or at 30 perfect signal high milliamps. v lock same frq gain setting; v loc was off by 6 inches compared to my rd. i peak and null every mark i put down and constantly check for any kind of bend or trend of depth to know that i am still on my target line. you'd be surprised at how many time i have seen locators mis mark stuff assuming shit always runs perfectly straight. i have been locating 6 years and have only ever had 1 minor damage due to myself not being familar with subsite and fudged up prints.
    Do you know how to properly determine if you have a proper EM signal? A round field? If there is a true peak/null inverse?

I hear lots of locators making similar statements to yours and when it gets down to it, they really don't know what they think they know...

A few years ago I had a fiber locator on a rail corridor mark out his duct run in advance of a pile driving operation. We were there at the request of the pile driver to check the fiber guy's marks. My lead tech marked the fiber ducts 3 feet east of the fiber locator's marks. He swore we were wrong, that his RD was far superior to my guy's Metrotech, that he located his stuff on peak and then confirmed null, so he could not be wrong...I bet him lunch for myself, my tech and the rest of my crew if he was wrong, and I would buy his lunch and dinner for he and his wife if I was wrong...he called me a fool and took the bet. I had my soft dig crew bring the vac rig over and dig on both sets of marks...who do you think was right?

We were dead on, and fortunately saved his a$$, as the piles were set to be driven through three of his four ducts if the pile crew had relied on his marks.

We dug up 4 other locations and the fiber guy was wrong every time...

I have guys that have been locating for over 10 years without a single at-fault damage; more than 500,000 locates with zero hits, and then I have guys that are a little cocky and swear they know their stuff, but can't make six months without a hit, most of these guys don't make it past 1 year with that kind of attitude, then I cut them loose and they end up working for the world's largest locate company and buying cable for them...

Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post
    Do you know how to properly determine if you have a proper EM signal? A round field? If there is a true peak/null inverse?

I hear lots of locators making similar statements to yours and when it gets down to it, they really don't know what they think they know...

A few years ago I had a fiber locator on a rail corridor mark out his duct run in advance of a pile driving operation. We were there at the request of the pile driver to check the fiber guy's marks. My lead tech marked the fiber ducts 3 feet east of the fiber locator's marks. He swore we were wrong, that his RD was far superior to my guy's Metrotech, that he located his stuff on peak and then confirmed null, so he could not be wrong...I bet him lunch for myself, my tech and the rest of my crew if he was wrong, and I would buy his lunch and dinner for he and his wife if I was wrong...he called me a fool and took the bet. I had my soft dig crew bring the vac rig over and dig on both sets of marks...who do you think was right?

We were dead on, and fortunately saved his a$$, as the piles were set to be driven through three of his four ducts if the pile crew had relied on his marks.

I have guys that have been locating for over 10 years without a single at-fault damage; more than 500,000 locates with zero hits, and then I have guys that are a little cocky and swear they know their stuff, but can't make six months without a hit, most of these guys don't make it past 1 year with that kind of attitude, then I cut them loose and they end up working for the world's largest locate company and buying cable for them...
    I thought peak and null would be highest/lowest respectably? I wouldn't mind understanding how you managed to locate it better if the other guys locator was calibrated properly. The only other thing I know how to do is keep an eye on the mA signal. Thanks in advance.

Years of Experience

...........after that ......I'm just going to keep my mouth shut.....LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post

wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato