Thread: Paint Nozzle Freezing

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Paint Nozzle Freezing

I know this has been discussed before about cans freezing in the back of the truck but what about nozzle's? I am new to locating in the extremely cold, freezing and snow. We had our first snow monday and tuesday. I put my cans on the floor board of the truck. I had my wand and a can of paint in it. The tip kept clogging and I would have to pull out the Leatherman to clear it. Is this the was it will be all winter long?

Thanks,

Default Re: Paint Nozzle Freezing

It sounds like the paint can wasn't shaken up well before use. With the extreme cold, you will need to shake the paint prior to using each time, just to make sure it is distributed well. If it is really cold, you may find that you will have to change out paint cans during the locate to keep the paint flowing. It would be best, if you have not already done so, to store extra paint in your house so it doesn't have to thaw out every day and then just keep what you will be using for the day in the front of the cab. Hope that helps.

Years of Experience
    30+

Thanks, Gypsylgirl

This is my first winter out of Florida and a new experience. Painting snow just don't seem right. Done it in a lot of rain but never snow.

Ahhh UULC... welcome to the seasonal changes! Another tip for you while painting snow is to either stomp the snow down before or after you paint as it puts in in closer contact with the ground and when (yes... it will eventually) it melts there is still possibly some residue of the paint on the ground. Otherwise if it is just an inch or so, clear the snow away with your foot prior to painting. Flags are even more valuable this time of year, however make sure you are getting really good photos of your locates with "permanent" objects for references at right angles. This will help if there is a damage and the contractor tries to state it wasn't marked properly as the winter can pose more difficulty in that area also.

Years of Experience

Solvent based paint will prevent the nozzle from freezing as well. Make sure your shop orders it next paint order . as Gypsy said any thing to get marks on the ground or pavment and good pics. Contractors love to use the the snow to their advantage wiping out marks. Otherwise happy shoe'n .

Years of Experience

I agree. Water based paint is useless in the winter and solvent based paint isn't much better. The only thing I could add is that if the paint you are using has the "extended spray" tips on them is to get a toe nail clipper in your truck and clip the tips before use. These tips are made to make a can of paint last longer by restricting the amount of paint coming out but in the extreme cold all they do is freeze up mid locate.

I keep a milk crate on the passenger side floor boards and keep 1 1/2 cases up front at all times. The paint closest to the heat vent will unfreeze fairly quick on your ride into work.

4Q2
    Years of Experience

Good Stuff gypsygirl. Also, I call the contractor after marking the site, especially if I know he is going to dig on my marks and there is conflict..........but I have good relationships with MOST contractors in my area. In the winter it is a little slower, so there is time to call.

Years of Experience
    17 years

You gotta keep the paint warm (and yourself too). I used to take a case inside with me at night so I'd be ready for my first job the next morning. Once it's down around zero, the water-based stuff will freeze in a matter of minutes. Oil based is only a little better. That's why it's such a pain if you're not allowed to keep your truck running during a locate.
    If it's snowing while your painting, your marks can be buried before you even drive off. Pics are even more important. I've called many a contractor and advised him to get out there and take a look at my work. Especially if you're expecting more snow before they dig. There's no such thing as too many pics. I've even had the quality contractors ask me to send them pics for reference in an e-mail.

If the ground starts to freeze, your ground rod makes a handy tool for poking thru so you can get your flags in there good and deep.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    If the ground starts to freeze, your ground rod makes a handy tool for poking thru so you can get your flags in there good and deep.
    Most guys on our crew use cordless drills to put flags in. It is a royal pain in the a$$ but I hate pounding in flags so the cordless drill is my favorite tool all winter.

4Q2
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Most guys on our crew use cordless drills to put flags in. It is a royal pain in the a$$ but I hate pounding in flags so the cordless drill is my favorite tool all winter.
    A cordless drill with an old long masonry bit makes a good ground rod when the ground is frozen. Just clip onto the bit.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Yup, I usually save that for the hard freeze though. One less thing to carry. Hard freeze probably happens pretty early in WI. Get an 18" long 3/8" masonry bit. Cost is about 5 or 6 bucks. Your back will thank you.
    Last edited by daman1; December 1st, 2011 at 09:21 PM.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I guess great minds think alike, Eh 4Q2

I've heard someone either has, or is in the works of making a portable can warmer for the winter months, like a 6 pack. Maybe I heard it here, probably. Has anyone ever used one of these, are they any good? All good stuff here, we do the same, cut the tips and keep a mixed case of paints on the passenger floorboard. What sux is those long jobs where you keep having to go back to the truck for warm cans cause they freeze sooo fast. It would be sweet if they had a paint stick warmer that would keep the cans warm, like thermal or something along those lines.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Yup, I usually save that for the hard freeze though. One less thing to carry. Hard freeze probably happens pretty early in WI. Get an 18" long 3/8" masonry bit. Cost is about 5 or 6 bucks. Your back will thank you.
    Yeah this one reminds me , years ago one of the gas stakers actually drilled through their own gas line while drilling holes to put in flags on a line they had just marked.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt