Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overworked and underpaid

Years of Experience

Default Overworked and underpaid

Today I worked 13.5 hours. I haven't had less than 12 hours each day for the last 4 weeks. When I logged out tonight I had 66 tickets in my bucket. 6 of which are past due. Now that might not be a lot to some of you urban people but I live in a rural area. I am covering 2098 square miles spread out over 4 counties. I keep hearing I am going to get some help but it hasnt happened. I am so flippin burnt out. I haven't been able to eat supper with my family for a month. When I took this job back in 2011 I was told this job was all about being able to see my family on a regular basis. Well I say horse****. I need a little help. Does somebody on here want to take some of my tickets for me so maybe I can see my kids before bedtime?

Default Re: Overworked and underpaid

I could probably do half of them for you while sitting in my truck.

Years of Experience

Hey, no problem I'll take a few dozen off your hands, send em over!!!! Just kidding...

Years of Experience
    30+

locatethis

Don't ya have enough work? I can give ya some of my late tickets.

Years of Experience

We don't do anyone any favors by doing any more than what's required. Whether it's 13 tickets per 8 hours worked or "X" locates per hour, the only thing we do is make the parent company more rich by doing more with less. Maybe it's pride, integrity, stupidity, or fear of job loss (or a combination of all) that has us doing far more than what's required, but they make money when we hit our basic goals. By doing way more than what's required we're only making them that much more extra money.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Wink Re: Overworked and underpaid

Wait till it gets busy then ask
    Last edited by sagedog; April 1st, 2012 at 08:10 PM.

Well if you happen to run out call me. I have another 70 you can have, with 25 of them past due. If you are waiting for the company to help you it could be along wait! They do not care!!!

Years of Experience

I feel ya. When it takes me 35 mins min. To do a ticket and get 5 more after closing out one. It's def a losing battle and it's only April.

Years of Experience

just clock out and go home after 8 hours.

Years of Experience

I agree with Kaine. Put in the 8 hours and go. They can't tell you when to go home, they can only ask you to put in some overtime. I hate the fact that they make it sound like these are YOUR tickets. Remember, you are doing them a service by working here, not the other way around. I will tell you that my time with the devil is going to be very short lived soon. I can't wait for the day when I can tell them to find someone else to do this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    I agree with Kaine. Put in the 8 hours and go. They can't tell you when to go home, they can only ask you to put in some overtime. I hate the fact that they make it sound like these are YOUR tickets. Remember, you are doing them a service by working here, not the other way around. I will tell you that my time with the devil is going to be very short lived soon. I can't wait for the day when I can tell them to find someone else to do this.
    Like many myths this has a kernel of truth. "They can't make you work OT" or "They can't tell you to stay longer than 8 hours".
    Well, nobody, even the government, can tell you not to rob a bank because you can still rob a bank as we see in the news many people do. But if you rob the bank there are negative consequences.

So they can't make you work OT but if you don't they do not have to keep you in their employment, they can fire you. Especially in this industry where with most firms we singed a paper stating we are aware that OT may be required of us.

Federal law does not restrict use to an 8 hour work day so as far as the feds are concerned we can be required to work OT.

Some of us may live in states where local laws say an employer cannot make you work OT but you had better check that out real thoroughly if someone tells you this is so.

So anybody reading this thread needs to think twice before refusing to follow an order to work OT. Not only can you expect to be fired but you might not qualify for unemployment depending on the rules for your area.

On a tangent note;
    If you turn down OT a lot and you ask for a raise saying you NEED the money your boss well tell you you turned down
    OT so you only want more money, if you NEEDED money you would have worked the OT. Also it is a common opinion among bosses that it is fine if someone who turns down a lot of OT quits because when they are needed the most they are not there. Just an opportunity to try and hire someone they can count on.

Years of Experience

True Pro, but when it comes down to mismanagement, there is ALWAYS a case for that. Just because there are x amount of tickets not being run doesn't always mean that someone else in charge can't roll up the sleeves for a day or two.
    Also, beating your work horse all the time does not make it work harder. In the employee handbook, it does not say anything about them firing you because you CANNOT work OT. My Son is less than a year old, if they ask me to work OT Friday at 3 pm, to come in Saturday, most of the time I CANNOT. My wife works weekends, and I would be losing money to find a babysitter. If I am fired because I won't leave a child at home, then I would take being fired over anything
    I don't want to be unemployed either, but when work is putting stress on your family life, which is more important? Jobs are out there, and when it comes right down to it, a quality job is better than a quantity job. I worked two jobs and went to school. One was a 40+ hr a week job, the other 15 hrs. School took up basically the rest of my time, other than 4 hrs a night rest. I am now almost 40. There is no way for me to do that again, plugging a family in for school, and trying to do this job.
    If you aren't happy working this much, find a new line of employment. If it doesn't pay as much as this job, are you willing to cut back on the things you have to take a pay cut?
    I am looking at it as the devil's advocate here Pro, only because life goes on with or without employment in this field.

Years of Experience

Oh, and just to put it out there, I have not signed a document about overtime at all.

Years of Experience

True Pro, but when it comes down to mismanagement, there is ALWAYS a case for that. Just because there are x amount of tickets not being run doesn't always mean that someone else in charge can't roll up the sleeves for a day or two.
    Also, beating your work horse all the time does not make it work harder. In the employee handbook, it does not say anything about them firing you because you CANNOT work OT. My Son is less than a year old, if they ask me to work OT Friday at 3 pm, to come in Saturday, most of the time I CANNOT. My wife works weekends, and I would be losing money to find a babysitter. If I am fired because I won't leave a child at home, then I would take being fired over anything
    I don't want to be unemployed either, but when work is putting stress on your family life, which is more important? Jobs are out there, and when it comes right down to it, a quality job is better than a quantity job. I worked two jobs and went to school. One was a 40+ hr a week job, the other 15 hrs. School took up basically the rest of my time, other than 4 hrs a night rest. I am now almost 40. There is no way for me to do that again, plugging a family in for school, and trying to do this job.
    If you aren't happy working this much, find a new line of employment. If it doesn't pay as much as this job, are you willing to cut back on the things you have to take a pay cut?
    I am looking at it as the devil's advocate here Pro, only because life goes on with or without employment in this field.
    You are making the point very well, work OT or accept being fired.
    I hear a lot "they can't make us work OT" and when questioned those who state it fail to understand they may lose their job for refusing to work.

Years of Experience

Oh, and just to put it out there, I have not signed a document about overtime at all.
    Most companies have a separate document we sign, I have not worked for one that has not had this documet. We sign it when we first sign on and sometimes it is part of the job application. Many people forget they signed it.

A similar form of notice is often in the employee hand book of which many read only partially or not at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast