Thread: overtime

Angry overtime

The company I work for wants to pay us $200 for being oncall for a week. We won't get our hourly rate or any other compensation no matter how many after hrs tickets we do. Given the amount of emergency tickets this area gets I'll be lucky to average minimum wage for the week. Is this even legal?

Years of Experience

Default Re: overtime

Quote Originally Posted by locatorfornow View Post
    The company I work for wants to pay us $200 for being oncall for a week. We won't get our hourly rate or any other compensation no matter how many after hrs tickets we do. Given the amount of emergency tickets this area gets I'll be lucky to average minimum wage for the week. Is this even legal?
    That sounds shadier than anything I have heard yet this year. But it doesn't surprise me. Should you pay for your own fuel too? Asshats, everyone of 'em.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I don't know if it is legal or not. Seems to me that if you get called out then you are on the clock and you get paid for that and if it runs into overtime, then that is just the way it is. I would call the labor office and tell them to see what they think.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locatorfornow View Post
    No, this is not legal. You are an hourly paid employee and anything over 40 hours must by federal law be paid at time and a half. Even though the pay for this is under a different expense column in the company books they cannot separate you from the cumulative hours worked at this same firm.

They are fully aware that what they propose is illegal and are counting on nobody filing a complaint. Just smile and meekly go along with it, then file the complaint. They are blatantly guilty and the employees must be paid three times the amount they were cheated out of plus all legal costs.

Whoever thought that one up is a complete idiot and the firm would best protect themselves by getting rid of them.

Years of Experience

I would do it for a week,then file a complaint depending on how many call outs I get. TOTALLY illegal, I don't care what state you are in. Check into the business credentials as well. A well known company doing this probably meAns they are going under soon, and just do not want to pay for the OT. 200 could be one nights worth of work.

I plan on filing a complaint. I also plan on finding another job ASAP. I'd rather not work for a company that does this and it'll probably only get worse from here.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    I would do it for a week,then file a complaint depending on how many call outs I get. TOTALLY illegal, I don't care what state you are in. Check into the business credentials as well. A well known company doing this probably meAns they are going under soon, and just do not want to pay for the OT. 200 could be one nights worth of work.
    Don't think they are so hard up they are doing this trying to keep the doors open. Never make the mistake of underestimating greed.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I completely agree, they definitly know this is completely illegal and are counting on riding out the length of time they think they can get away with it, hoping that if anyone actually does file a complaint, it takes a year or longer in legal dispute before they actually have to pay out anything.

It's all part of thier business model, guaranteed.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng