Thread: Out of Franchise

Default Out of Franchise

Well, it's started in the DFW area with a bang. Verizon has started running their VIOS (Fiber to the premises) in the ATT areas. So far it is just going into the high $ neighborhoods that border existing Verizon areas.

Of course, the fun part is we have to locate the existing ATT along with TW cable, electric and gas.

I can't believe what the utility easements are going to look like in the future - just show up at an address and write "Hand Dig".
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

We will have paint grenades coming up in the near future. Or land mine based devices, like the Bouncing Betty's. You step on it it blast up about 4 ft into air and deploys paint grenades which cover the entire yard with multiple colors of paint, then all you have to do is leave your hand dig only flag and leave!
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Years of Experience
    30+

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Well, it's started in the DFW area with a bang. Verizon has started running their VIOS (Fiber to the premises) in the ATT areas. So far it is just going into the high $ neighborhoods that border existing Verizon areas.

Of course, the fun part is we have to locate the existing ATT along with TW cable, electric and gas.

I can't believe what the utility easements are going to look like in the future - just show up at an address and write "Hand Dig".
    Sprayandpray: Get ready. If you have not been working OT then it will be coming. Here in the Tampa area, VZ came in and they were hitting every utility in the ground. The contractor comes in and put 50 to a 100 Hispanics in a neighborhood and they can install 10,000' a day. Your company I hope is ramped up for this. We have crews that can do that in a day and then you have 6-10 crews in an area and you are trying to keep up.

It was never ending. We ended up forming a project team (FTTP) with a total of 30 locators. The problem is that when VZ hits enough utilities, the city or county will shut them down until they get the work caught up. If this is not happening now it will.

Yeah we have already been thru that about 2-3 years ago. Now they are expanding out into ATT's coverage areas. SM&P would not form Project crews, they just leave it to individual to beg for help every day and tell us "Help is on the way" year after year.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Yeah we have already been thru that about 2-3 years ago. Now they are expanding out into ATT's coverage areas. SM&P would not form Project crews, they just leave it to individual to beg for help every day and tell us "Help is on the way" year after year.

Spray:

The company I work for had to set up a new division.

BELL Canada (division of US BELL) came into Alberta and ran fiber to EVERY Government office, school, university, etc. So, in one move they took over a HUGE chunk of business. We have guys in our office that locate pretty much Bell all day and I am pretty sure do so in most of Alberta if not all of Alberta.