Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Our trucks should have....

  1. #1
    Senior Member Nb22x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    America
    Posts
    121
    Years of Experience
    7
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Our trucks should have....

    EMERGENCY LIGHTS!
    DON'T YOU THINK?
    RED AND WHITE LIKE FIRE/ EMS?

    To use when going to emergencies,
    I can't stand it when I have a serious emergency and I'm stuck in traffic!
    We can also use them to go through red lights, it will save time to not worry about traffic.
    lol, I know it's just a pipe dream but it's fun to think about!

  2. #2
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,515
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    Call Before You Dig, It's The Law!

    So we should have guns and badges.

  3. #3
    Mke
    Mke is offline
    Senior Member Mke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Republic of Washington
    Posts
    1,542
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    34
    Rep Power
    78

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    At least guns =)


    I actually requested a full size light bar for my truck with directional lights for the times we are working on the busy roads. They work great and are visible.

    I didn't like those magnetic lights you had to toss on the roof everytime you needed it. They were barely visible, unless it was dark out.

    mke

  4. #4
    Senior Member locatethis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    238
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    I came to the conclusion that in my area it wouldn't matter what type of advanced warning strob, lights , flashers, flares. It still wouldn't help! Not in South Florida. When I need to get off the road, onto a sidewalk or a grass shoulder. I start slowing down about a half mile with my strob flashers and hand gestures! And they still ride up on your ass and blow there horns.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,515
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    Quote Originally Posted by locatethis View Post
    I came to the conclusion that in my area it wouldn't matter what type of advanced warning strob, lights , flashers, flares. It still wouldn't help! Not in South Florida. When I need to get off the road, onto a sidewalk or a grass shoulder. I start slowing down about a half mile with my strob flashers and hand gestures! And they still ride up on your ass and blow there horns.
    Same thing here. I was also asked if I worked in the street yesterday due to the safety vest I was wearing and I remember thinking it did not slow down any of the cars that have hit me over the years. None real bad the worst of the three times being bruised ribs.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nunyabusyknees
    Posts
    63
    Years of Experience
    4
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    4 wheel drive
    a driver that's paid fairly
    the equipment we need to complete our jobs
    a built in coffee maker

  7. #7
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,515
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDodds View Post
    4 wheel drive
    a driver that's paid fairly
    the equipment we need to complete our jobs
    a built in coffee maker
    I think for most areas equipping the entire fleet with four wheel drive would be an expense greater than the benefit.

    A less expensive alternative on a rear wheel drive truck is a limited slip differential. This option costs relatively little and does not add to the weight of the vehicle and is considerably less expensive to maintain. A drive could get such a vehicle out of muddy areas where a conventional differential would leave it spinning wheels.

    The four wheel drive adds a transfer case to the transmission plus the drive train for the front wheels, an expensive option. Plus the added weight increases fuel costs so the expensive option keeps costing. Also there is much more maintenance for a four wheel drive, again long term cost.

    Still I think any office in an area where snow fall occurs should have a couple and kept in the fleet as spares. Then when winter snowfall occurs and the crews are sent home the oncall can cover the area emergencies and be able to get to them. This gives the company the needed equipment and keeps costs minimal. The vehicles with limited slip would also perform much better in areas subject to snow on the ground.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,515
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    The first thing our trucks should have is.....


    TRUCKS!

    Let me explain.

    In recent years it has become popular among management to purchase small economy cars instead of trucks for what they think are good reasons when facts they are not aware of make the purchase a very bad and overly expensive decision. Often these decisions are not make be people with much if at all any locate experience so they purchase the wrong vehicles.

    First thing is the truck was designed and built as an industrial work vehicle.
    In recent decades they have been fancied up for people wanting something nice that will also serve as an everyday driver but underneath the added fluff is still an industrial vehicle. They are built to take the beating of going over curbs and across unpaved construction areas or fields. They are made to started in the morning and driven all day long without stop. They are built though to withstand tough use.

    The small economy car was built as cheap transportation in non-commercial use. It was designed and built to start in the morning, drive to work and park there 9 to 10 hours and then be driven home, park and usually to stay off until it repeats the cycle next morning. For locating the car starts in the morning and becasue we have to keep the computer running, AC on all the time in summer or laptop overheats and shuts down, the flashing lights on when working in the street. Well many times the engines is running 10 to 14 hours a day. If we are working at peoples yards all day we are starting the engine 20 to 30 times a day which is way more wear and tear than commuter use.
    Plus we drive all the time, we have high mileage.

    Most commuter cars run around 15,000 miles a year, our industrial use cars drive 30,000 to 40,000 miles a year. A two year old commuter car has 30,000 miles where a two year old locate car has 60,000 miles. That 60,000 miles does not equate to 4 year of use due to the extra run time on the engines and systems and rough physical use. That two year old locate care is the equivalent of at least 5 years old and I estimate it is effectively 6 years old at least.

    These cheap cars are not cheap, they cost us way more than a pickup truck. Every time they fail we lose man hours that does not show up on the spread sheet becasue nobody makes a downtime due to vehicle failure report. (I worked at one non-locate firm that did this. The fleet guy make himself the darling of upper management by cutting out cost of the night shift that did the preventative maintenance. The other managers created a downtime report on their own showing all the labor lost due to breakdowns, things changed back) When the car breaks down the locator is stopped from producing income and is still drawing pay. Now there are tow fees plus the cost of ferrying a car to him. Which means one person drives the replacement car to the locator accompanied by anther car and driver to take him / her back. Just replacing the failed vehicle in the field costs at least an extra $100 dollars that does not show up in the cost of repairs. As these vehicles age their breakdowns accelerate and that means a larger inventory of spare vehicles is needed. Since the cars breakdown more often a larger inventory of spares is needed than if trucks were purchased.

    The trucks are rear wheel drive with a solid rear axle and the cheap little cars of today are all front wheel drive. While initial cost is less than the truck, and gas mileage better, the front wheel drives are more complex, have more parts that require much more maintenance (rear axle requires changing gear oil once in a blue moon and replace a seal if it should leak), much more expensive to work on. Plus the cost of transmission work on a front wheel drive is more expensive due to the basic design difference to a rear wheel drive.

    So the first thing our trucks should have is .... a truck.

  9. #9
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,111
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    177

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    I agree with what he said !!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    The first thing our trucks should have is.....


    TRUCKS!

    Let me explain.

    In recent years it has become popular among management to purchase small economy cars instead of trucks for what they think are good reasons when facts they are not aware of make the purchase a very bad and overly expensive decision. Often these decisions are not make be people with much if at all any locate experience so they purchase the wrong vehicles.

    First thing is the truck was designed and built as an industrial work vehicle.
    In recent decades they have been fancied up for people wanting something nice that will also serve as an everyday driver but underneath the added fluff is still an industrial vehicle. They are built to take the beating of going over curbs and across unpaved construction areas or fields. They are made to started in the morning and driven all day long without stop. They are built though to withstand tough use.

    The small economy car was built as cheap transportation in non-commercial use. It was designed and built to start in the morning, drive to work and park there 9 to 10 hours and then be driven home, park and usually to stay off until it repeats the cycle next morning. For locating the car starts in the morning and becasue we have to keep the computer running, AC on all the time in summer or laptop overheats and shuts down, the flashing lights on when working in the street. Well many times the engines is running 10 to 14 hours a day. If we are working at peoples yards all day we are starting the engine 20 to 30 times a day which is way more wear and tear than commuter use.
    Plus we drive all the time, we have high mileage.

    Most commuter cars run around 15,000 miles a year, our industrial use cars drive 30,000 to 40,000 miles a year. A two year old commuter car has 30,000 miles where a two year old locate car has 60,000 miles. That 60,000 miles does not equate to 4 year of use due to the extra run time on the engines and systems and rough physical use. That two year old locate care is the equivalent of at least 5 years old and I estimate it is effectively 6 years old at least.

    These cheap cars are not cheap, they cost us way more than a pickup truck. Every time they fail we lose man hours that does not show up on the spread sheet becasue nobody makes a downtime due to vehicle failure report. (I worked at one non-locate firm that did this. The fleet guy make himself the darling of upper management by cutting out cost of the night shift that did the preventative maintenance. The other managers created a downtime report on their own showing all the labor lost due to breakdowns, things changed back) When the car breaks down the locator is stopped from producing income and is still drawing pay. Now there are tow fees plus the cost of ferrying a car to him. Which means one person drives the replacement car to the locator accompanied by anther car and driver to take him / her back. Just replacing the failed vehicle in the field costs at least an extra $100 dollars that does not show up in the cost of repairs. As these vehicles age their breakdowns accelerate and that means a larger inventory of spare vehicles is needed. Since the cars breakdown more often a larger inventory of spares is needed than if trucks were purchased.

    The trucks are rear wheel drive with a solid rear axle and the cheap little cars of today are all front wheel drive. While initial cost is less than the truck, and gas mileage better, the front wheel drives are more complex, have more parts that require much more maintenance (rear axle requires changing gear oil once in a blue moon and replace a seal if it should leak), much more expensive to work on. Plus the cost of transmission work on a front wheel drive is more expensive due to the basic design difference to a rear wheel drive.

    So the first thing our trucks should have is .... a truck.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  10. #10
    Wag
    Wag is offline
    Member Wag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    32
    Years of Experience
    8
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    I like that idea of a built-in coffee maker! But wouldn't that also require a somewhat unwieldy addition of a built-in porta-let?

  11. #11
    Senior Member sauroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Under Heaven's Skies
    Posts
    182
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    Built in racks and movable shelves in the trucks. Equipment gets banged up too easily, and the jarring on bumpy roads can destroy a receiver.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    Spotlights!!!..the ones that can be found on most police vehicles that I can aim and light up an entire x-box or SLC on those late night call out emergencies.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    19
    Years of Experience
    20+
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    Quote Originally Posted by Nb22x View Post
    EMERGENCY LIGHTS!
    DON'T YOU THINK?
    RED AND WHITE LIKE FIRE/ EMS?

    To use when going to emergencies,
    I can't stand it when I have a serious emergency and I'm stuck in traffic!
    We can also use them to go through red lights, it will save time to not worry about traffic.
    lol, I know it's just a pipe dream but it's fun to think about!
    Back in my CLS days, we actually had white and yellow strobes put in our trucks. The strobes would trigger the street lights if you were running with them on. The local police told us they were illegal for us to have, but we won that fight.

  14. #14
    Senior Member sauroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Under Heaven's Skies
    Posts
    182
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Our trucks should have....

    Portable toilets. You never know until you have to go.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
A 'Rook Media' Website