Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OneVision bought by Utiliquest?

Years of Experience

Default OneVision bought by Utiliquest?

There may be another thread on this but I didn't see it

BUT.. Word on the street is that Utiliquest bought OneVision out and when Columbia Gas of VA got wind of it they said "We don't want UQ to mark our facilities." and gave them a 90 day notice of contract termination..

Anyone hear otherwise?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: OneVision bought by Utiliquest?

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTracK View Post
    There may be another thread on this but I didn't see it

BUT.. Word on the street is that Utiliquest bought OneVision out and when Columbia Gas of VA got wind of it they said "We don't want UQ to mark our facilities." and gave them a 90 day notice of contract termination..

Anyone hear otherwise?
    Not heard, but their buying One Vision would only prompt Columbia Gas to just shop out the contract to a firm that Utiliquest / Dycom did not own.

One Vision was marking Union Gas out around Newport New Va. but S&N Locating picked up that contract just recently. That I know for sure because I was part of the convoy that delivered new S&N trucks to that office.

Years of Experience

Say it ain't so!! Utiliquest will ruin that contract!
    Big mistake on John Cook's part!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by montecarloss View Post
    Say it ain't so!! Utiliquest will ruin that contract!
    Big mistake on John Cook's part!
    Maybe not a mistake, but a shrewd move.

Decades ago there was an after market auto parts supplier, Moon I think it was.

They had a casual workplace and where wanted employees worked flex time. It was a profitable business and some people made the owner an offer to buy him out. He accepted something like $3,000,000 ( decades ago so adjust for inflation).

The new owners immediately began to "fix" all the problems this successful company had.

Two or three years later the founder came back to the now failing company and bought it back for $1,000,000.

So sell you locate firm / office / territory to a competitor that you think will run it into the ground. Come back a few years later, buy back the company for less than it sold for and approach all your old clients announcing you are back and everything will be even better than it used to be.

If the rumor is true than maybe not such a big mistake after all.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I havn't dealt with John alot, but when I have delt with him I have been impressed. If he is selling, I definately wouldn't state it as a mistake. If so, I would love to make mistakes like that.

As a buisness owner, He could probably tell you about all the in's and Out's of the daily operation and how much it wears on one's soul. And all that effort will be second guessed and criticize by people who don't see everything.

Good for John (If in deed he is selling) Hopefully with all the money he gets from this "Mistake" he can wallow in his own misery on his nice Yacht.

Just sayin

Mke

Years of Experience

Utiliquest didn't buy out One Vision, they bought the remainder of the contract. Columbia Gas is fine with Utiliquest taking the contract and is ensuring that all of the current One Vision locators get transferred to Utiliquest.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by L0cat0r View Post
    Utiliquest didn't buy out One Vision, they bought the remainder of the contract. Columbia Gas is fine with Utiliquest taking the contract and is ensuring that all of the current One Vision locators get transferred to Utiliquest.
    It would have to be that Columbia found Utiliquest acceptable if Utiliquest bought the contract and not the firm One Vision.

The contract is an agreement between two entities and cannot be sold unless the remaining entity accepts the new purchaser. In short the contract is not a negotiable instrument (can be freely bought and sold) unless this is stated in the terms of the contract. This is becasue it is an agreement between two entitys' (corporations are entitys' like people) and non-selling entity has no agreement with the new purchaser.

Years of Experience

Just to put some thoughts out there and maybe clear up a few things.

Is it possible to just buy a contract?

In some cases yes and in many cases no.

To just walk in and buy a contract the contract must be worded so it is a negotiable instrument. That is to say it can be sold without the other signing party of the contract giving permission to sell the contract.

Here we have service provider contracts and part of the bidding process is that the bidder be acceptable to the utility client. My estimate is that most of these contracts are not negotiable instruments.

Still it is possible to sell the contract if the utility client approves of the sale.

There is a way to do an end run around the client's approveal of the sale of a contract and that is to buy the service frim that holds the contract. The obvious is to buy the entire firm nationwide but just buying part of the firm will also do.

Many firms are actually a collection of legally different firms. BigLocates may operate in many states but it is not uncommon to create separate subsidiary firms in different areas. There can be a BigLocates that is the parent company and they can hold the stock of BigLocates of Virginia, BigLocates of East and so on. They can then sell of the operation in one area and the rest of the firm is intact. The contract in this example is held by BigLocates of Virginia and anybody who buys this get the contract because the service contract was signed by BigLocates of Virginia which despite the sale still exists, they only sold the stock.

So HugeLocates Inc buys BigLocates of Virginia but you see the trucks all marked as HugeLocates. Because BigLocates of Virginia has registered with the state as "trading as HugeLocates".

While the above example allows the effective sale of the contract often the utility client can end the contract. An "out" clause is common and either party can often just give formal notice that they are ending the contract, usually with a 90 day or more notice.

Sounds complex but when broken down into components is pretty simple to understand.

Years of Experience

From what I have heard Columbia Gas of Virginia WILL NOT have Utiliquest mark there facilities. They pulled the contract back and had Utiliquest banned (if that's a good word to use) from locating in Fredericksburg,Virginia back in 2005-06. So its hard to think that CGVA would go back to Utiliquest after all they did to get them out of Fredericksburg!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by montecarloss View Post
    From what I have heard Columbia Gas of Virginia WILL NOT have Utiliquest mark there facilities. They pulled the contract back and had Utiliquest banned (if that's a good word to use) from locating in Fredericksburg,Virginia back in 2005-06. So its hard to think that CGVA would go back to Utiliquest after all they did to get them out of Fredericksburg!
    Utiliquest already has the CGV contract everywhere in VA except what One Vision has. Yes they WERE run out of VA, but are now back. It is already official, Utiliquest is getting the contract from One Vision. One Vision filed for bankruptcy but the company and its assets are not being bought by Utiliquest. I don't know exactly how the contract transfer worked, whether it was bought or handed over.

Years of Experience

God, I just love the VINE.

Okay, this is for all you matter-of-fact, know the scoop, ace reporters here. Here is the REAL scoop.
    1. Did not get bought out by Utiliquest.
    2. Did not get run out of Virginia
    3. Did not sell the contract (ProLoc is correct - contract prohibits sale of contract)
    4. OVUS is filing for reorganization through the Federal courts here in Atlanta
    5. Never located for Union Gas ProLoc, not sure who Union Gas is?
    6. OVUS will not work for public utulities going forward - only the private side will provide locating
    7. After 28+ years in the industry I am moving on to a new adventure

My next goal is to help certify locating skills and try to organize the actual locators. NULCA is for owners and does nothing for the techs, and there is no other organization out there doing a damn thing for the workers. You guys and ladies deserve more pay, less stress, and more respect, and I will be working on a process to make that happen. OVUS changed the way locating was done in Virginia and that's a fact, but change needs to come as to how techs are treated and paid, and that will be my next great adventure.
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience

Oh, and yes, Utiliquest will be taking over the CG of Virginia contracts (Fredericksburg, Chester, and Suffolk). Thurman has been in direct contact with me and we are working to transition the contract by April 30.

And those, my friends, are the cold hard facts..........
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Way to nip in in the bud John.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Kudos John. This still doesn't dispell any rumors we may or may not make up in the future. Just Kidding.

I'm glad to hear about your new endevour. Please keep us informed. I keep trying to get to a State Law meeting, unfortunately they got me working too much to do so.

I've also been to a couple of "Training" classes and wasn't thrilled with the way they are handled. Most training classes are given credit for attendance and not for proven knowlege. Hopefully yours will be different.

Let us know if there is anything us west coasters can do.

Mke

Way to just throw it out there John. Best of Luck to you in the future, you will be missed in Virginia!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast