Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Now Hiring Northern Indiana Gas/power Contract

Default Re: Now Hiring Northern Indiana Gas/power Contract

First of all let me just say, I am not here to ATTACK, or "sling mud" on OVUS or any of it's employees, or even NIPSCO for that matter. I am sure that OVUS has plenty of excellent employees, otherwise they would not exist right? NIPSCO obviously contracted them for a reason. I am simply here to express my opinion as I am free to do so. If anyone takes offense to MY opinion then that is their own problem. Maybe I need to re-word some things. I guess "rejects" may have been too harsh of a way to put it, but my point was, I know of a few techs that had bad reputations for not following proper safety/quality procedures who were picked up by OVUS. I just hope that they do not continue those same habits, or someone could end up seriously hurt or killed. USIC very clearly, and very regularly states to us their policies on safety and quality, and if a tech chooses not to follow those policies, they are not the only ones who are at risk. Furthermore, I am not underestimating anyone, let alone NIPSCO. I never said NIPSCO was a bad company. The only reason why I am happy they are no longer our responsibility, is simply for the fact that we only have to focus on 2 utilities now instead of 4. Like I said, I am sure OVUS has plenty of quality employees, and I was simply wishing them good luck in taking on a contract for a company and an area they are completely new to. This is a very busy area, and sometimes hard to keep up with. Maybe I am just ignorant and don't know enough, but it seems to me that it should take at LEAST 6 months for a new company to become sufficiently acclimated and trained in a new area, before a complete takeover of responsiblity. It just seemed to me like they rushed into to this very quickly, thats all. Once again, all of this is my OPINION. Not USIC's opinion, or it's managements opinion. Just mine. I am not criticizing anyone, it's just an OPINION. But since everyone on this thread seems to get so defensive, and aggresive, I will refrain from posting to it any further. Once again, good luck OVUS.

Speaking from experience USICtech those who you call 'rejects' might very well be good locators. Believe me, you can be called names and talked about by supervisors and management EVEN if you ARE a good locator. If they have a personal problem with someone they will sling mud to make that locator look bad out of spite and it doesn't have jack to do with the locator's skill level.

As far as OVUS goes, their motto is 'One Utility' so they don't have to worry about a 4 way locate in 5 to 10 minutes on site. Their concept alone will ensure a good level of success add skilled experienced techs and and that level increases.

As far as USIC's safety/quality procedures go? We ALL know that those are ONLY window dressing and out in the field it's a DIFFERENT story. It's 'Do more Do More DO MORE!'. Those procedures get the back seat treatment to PRODUCTION and INCOME GENERATION (Until a damage occurs then those who TOLD you to 'Do More' can't be found to back you up). Then and ONLY then is when those procedures get put in the driver's seat.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by boozerr View Post
    Wow OVUS1! You have destroyed NIPSCO in 2 days! haha
    Are you guys looking at PA at all? I am hearing that there are a few contracts around PA that are in rough shape right now.
    We are looking boozer. Gotten some good feedback so far and hope to have some positive news before the end of this year.

Shock and Awe baby, Shock and Awe!
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Give them Hell John, the forum (well, most of us anyways) are behind you.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

ifindit, I'm just trying to get everybody home to enjoy some barbecue and potato salad this weekend!

My wife and I are flying up to Indiana tomorrow to ride in the Crown Point 4th of July parade this weekend. We'll have two OVUS vehicles and IUPPS (One Call Center) is sending their folks and a van to participate as well. Good chance for some of those well wishers to come out and be a part of the fun and for some of those "hell wishers" to come out and throw a tomato or two at us!

Be safe, live long, and locate forever!
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience

Wow. This thread just dropped off the face of the earth(or laptop screen). I was just curious how the new contracts are going for OneVision now that you are a few months in. We are losing the gas and electric in our state and just can't imagine someone coming in a taking over without knowing any of the plant.

Well hopefully all is going well for you,

GB

Years of Experience
    25yrs

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Wow. This thread just dropped off the face of the earth(or laptop screen). I was just curious how the new contracts are going for OneVision now that you are a few months in.

Good question. Must be too busy doing one-ways.

Years of Experience
    16 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by haze View Post
    Good question. Must be too busy doing one-ways.
    1 and 2 ways, gas and electric, get your facts straight, but yes still busy,

Last edited by sling'n paint; March 5th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Well, One Eye lasted longer then i thought they would, but NIPSCO is back with USIC.

Years of Experience

hey dracula .....where you been dude????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Details?

Years of Experience

they lost that contract already? lol time to get out of the gas contracts... if my company ever gets a gas contract ill leave next day
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    they lost that contract already? lol time to get out of the gas contracts... if my company ever gets a gas contract ill leave next day
    \
    Don't seat the prospect of marking gas as like any utility you get the hang of it.

Old gas in a city environment can be a real pain with old cast iron pipes many of which may now be abandoned. Plus there are in many metal gas line insulating joints but if the drawings are proper they will show where these joints are.

Modern distribution gas is almost all plastic pipe with a tracer wire buried in the trench. This works well enough if properly installed.

Some contractors are really poor in how they handle the tracer wire. When the reel runs out of wire in the middle of a run some just twist the end of the new wire to the old one and put on an electrical wire not connector. With no protection from ground water these corrode and you lose the signal at that point. Equally bad is when back filled the weight of the dirt will often pull these connections apart.

A real pain are the homeowners who see this tracer wire sticking up out of the ground next to their meter. They tend to bury these wires so a garden trowel is part of the tool kit of any locator marking gas. Worse yet are homeowners who think them not important and cut them off, you have to dig deeper. Finally there are contractors who build a patio around the meter and cover the tracer wire with concrete.

Still the above problems can be overcome.

The thing to remember about tracer wire is it is just laid into the trench and not attached to the gas pipe. So you can get the gas pipe on one side of the trench and the tracer wire on the other side of the trench. In my experience this means the marks over the wire can have the gas pipe up to two feet away. You you have to put a dot or line over the signal and then a set of marks one foot to two feet away from the center mark. Annoys the living heck out of contractors that want to power dig rather than hand dig but it is the only way to keep them alive and you damage free.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Speaking from experience USICtech those who you call 'rejects' might very well be good locators. Believe me, you can be called names and talked about by supervisors and management EVEN if you ARE a good locator. If they have a personal problem with someone they will sling mud to make that locator look bad out of spite and it doesn't have jack to do with the locator's skill level.

As far as OVUS goes, their motto is 'One Utility' so they don't have to worry about a 4 way locate in 5 to 10 minutes on site. Their concept alone will ensure a good level of success add skilled experienced techs and and that level increases.

As far as USIC's safety/quality procedures go? We ALL know that those are ONLY window dressing and out in the field it's a DIFFERENT story. It's 'Do more Do More DO MORE!'. Those procedures get the back seat treatment to PRODUCTION and INCOME GENERATION (Until a damage occurs then those who TOLD you to 'Do More' can't be found to back you up). Then and ONLY then is when those procedures get put in the driver's seat.

I have also seen this problem before. When a new company takes over a contract and they do not already have an office in the area they fail to get the cream of the crop when it comes to locators. Those goof offs and foul up who know they will not be kept are among the first to apply with the new firm. It is just a problem inherent in the industry. In a start up operation I told my fellow workers, many of whom had a poor work history, that they were in resurrection city for locators. Here they could recreate themselves and shed their past. The problem of course is good habits can be hard to develop and easy to break and bad habits are easy to develop and hard to break. Most of these guys did not last too long, got fired. But they held the fort until noobies could be brought in a trained.

I have to disagree that marking just one utility is all that much easier. I have been where I marked five utilities and found that this gave me a great advantage. See I had drawing for all 5 utilities and this really helped me sort out what signal was what.

When I marked 5 utilities I averaged 13 tickets for an eight hour day which is the same as marking 65 single utility tickets.

As you noted there is the problem when some manger sends out the signal to do more, quality falls and damages go up.

I have heard some utility owners people say that they do not like firms that locate multiple utilities. They believe that "their" utility is given less attention over another. The real truth is what you noted above, some mangers push to do more forcing the locator to skip marking some things.

Now I did have a conversation with a locator whose firm picked up an additional utility so they went from marking three to marking four. The office manager called him in and advises him his production had fallen. The locator said no as his records showed that his production had risen. Before picking up that 4th utility he was getting X number of charges per hour for marked utilities. After picking up the 4th utility his charges per hour were now higher. The manage said yes, but the gross number of tickets was lower than when he was only doing 3 utilities. So while this locator was working to his best and making the company more money per hour the manager said that was not enough. This is a variation on what you commented on.

When picking up an additional utility it is almost inevitable that even if productivity increases there will be the need to put out more locators along with more trucks and equipment. Managers that should know better do not work these numbers in advance and redo their budgets prior to computing the results of their bid.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast