Thread: Not sure on what to expect......

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Not sure on what to expect......

So, I got this E-mail, and wasn't sure exactly what to think. here is an excerpt...

"The Metropolitan Utilities Coordinating Council (MUCC) is providing a panel discussion from Connective Solutions Incorporated, Locating Incorporated and Stake Center Locating. If you donít know how the locating process works (or why it is so important), this is your opportunity to come and hear how their companies work. Send any questions you would like to ask to Gary Hyatt who is compiling a list Ė his contact info is in the flyer."

So some of the Basics.... the MUCC is the local agency that is part of the OUNC (one-call system).

The three companies that are listed are the three contract locating companies in the area.

My question is...... Is the MUCC putting these companies out there like a sacrificial lamb? I know it states to submit questions in advance, but these get togethers are usually a back slapping session between the utilities, and a couple of the bigger contractors in the area. Do you think this gathering and q&a session is a good idea?

In the past week, what I have witnessed from these three companies....

CSI- missed a Meet on Site time, when he did come out, he did not have a working Ring clamp so he couldn't locate the FO duct. and had to call in a lead to come with a working ringclamp.

LI- came 5hrs after the ticket was do to successfully mark the wrong area.

Stake Center- Did not show up to mark a duct and cable that was successfully hit two previous times for the same job within the past 3 months.

Again, Good idea, or Bad?

mke

Default Re: Not sure on what to expect......

Mke,
    Does sound like a back slapping session to me, i would hope that you go to it. maybe bring them down a peg or too

Years of Experience
    30+

Mke,
    I have been a member of GTUG (Greater Tampa Utility Group) which is part of FUCC (Florida Utilities Coordinating Council) for many years now. GTUG is the local area group. There are (in Florida) groups in each major county in the state. FUCC is the state group. At the local level, you have all the big utilities, government, engineering firms, oil company's and anyone with a vested interest on what happens in the area as part of that group. Locating Company's have always been invited to this group and all groups all over the state. This would include, road projects, VZ FioS project, new gas and oil pipeline projects and here in Florida the new High Speed Rail project. At this level, everything is discussed as to the impact to ALL facility owners within this area. At the local level is where the discussion of Utility Coordination is discussed. Sometime it can be a Bitch session i.e. when the Verizon (VZ) FioS project started up with NO coordination with all the facility owners and VZ was hell bent on installing millions of feet of foc.

VZ damaged a lot of infrastructure in our county and the locating firms and government entities could not keep up with the amount of locate requested. So GTUG which VZ is a member of, worked together using utility coordination to minimize damage to all facility owners. It took a while but things started to smooth out after a while. So that gives you an idea of what happens at the local level.

At the state level, FUCC works on issues that involve the whole state. I am not sure where your group, Metropolitan Utilities Coordinating Council (MUCC) is in. At the local or state level. If it is the local level, it could be just as you described, no shows, past due's, missed meets and not having the right equipment to complete the locate. It could be a growing problem and they are looking for answers to reduce damages to their facilities. It could be a specific project, which would mean just better coordination with all involved.

If this is a state group, then there could be a widespread problem and they are looking for answers. We, in the Damage Prevention Field, should be striving to prevent damages. You prevent damages through coordination with all involved.
    So back to your question. Good idea or bad idea. I am not sure which side of the fence you are on, locating or facility owner, but either way I would submit my questions and if at all possible, get involved in coming up with solutions to the problems.

So I hope this helps you out in your question. Just a little background on me, I am a member in 6 local UCC (Utility Coordination Council) groups and a member of our state group FUCC for about 10 years. Do they work in solving problems and keeping you updated, I believe so.

Sorry for the long and rambling post.

Sounds like it will be fun to watch !!!!!! CHINESE FIRE DRILL!!!!!!

Years of Experience

it 's more like a back stabbing session to me! the locating companies are getting set up to answer open -end questions with closed - end answers.......not a good idea unless all they want to do is put faces with phone numbers???? it's one thing to sit down together eat a meal and discuss future utility business it 's another to get into heated debates that locating companies can not win!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato