Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new word of the day

Default new word of the day

i was watching a youtube video tonight of two guys playing a computer game called "rock of ages" which is a game that has the ancient charater Sispyhus. in order to broaden my mind i typed Sisyphus into wikipedia and realized that he is the guy from old mythology that was punished in death with the job of rolling a boulder uphill for all eternity only to watch it roll back down before he reached the end. it says this...

"The word "sisyphean" means "endless and unavailing, as labor or a task""

and also...

" Albert Camus, in his 1942 essay The Myth of Sisyphus, saw Sisyphus as personifying the absurdity of human life, but Camus concludes "one must imagine Sisyphus happy" as "The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.""

as a locator, i feel i can relate to Sisyphus because no matter how fast i go, there are always more locates. no matter how much time i spend at a job, there is always the chance i might have missed that crazy service that comes from 2 blocks over.... ya know what i mean? : ) But, like Camus says its almost like i'm a glutton for punishment, the daily struggle is very satisfying, just so long as a make a little progress.
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech

Default Re: new word of the day

If you are nihilistic, like me, then this is a reasonable reaction to the Myth.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Interesting subject. I have recently been questioning my very existence and whether what I'm doing in life is fulfilling to me. I'm concluding it is not. I feel like the person told to move a pile of rocks from one side of the yard to the other only to be told to move the rocks back again after I am done. Of course, I have to keep moving them.

I do the locates but get no satisfaction from it any more. I used to but not for a long time now. Is that Sisyphusian?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Interesting subject. I have recently been questioning my very existence and whether what I'm doing in life is fulfilling to me. I'm concluding it is not. I feel like the person told to move a pile of rocks from one side of the yard to the other only to be told to move the rocks back again after I am done. Of course, I have to keep moving them.

I do the locates but get no satisfaction from it any more. I used to but not for a long time now. Is that Sisyphusian?

That sounds a little like the "Cool Hand Luke of Life" syndrome...

I turned 50 today... Decided to do the usual go out in the woods again to cut and split more wood- killing time waiting for pops to heal from the hip surgery and trying to decide on whether to get a local ho-hum job until attending cdl school in August or go off to truck driving school with a major carrier and hitting the highway indefinitely for the year to reimburse the carrier for the training ???

Its still nice to think a different road lies ahead after the 18yrs of locating.

Anyway I strained my frikin back after the first 10 whacks with spike and sledge. Tryed to walk it off and that didnt work so now laying on the couch with the eighty year old folks and pissed. It makes one realize whatever path is next at 50 wont include a laborious option. Plan A B C still needs to be maintaining the clean driving record, a cdl , and some form of "trucking around"... Just look around - its all about a cdl and driving. I see a lot of places I d like to relocate or visit but wothout the ties to bind I know I would get bored and want to relocate again.

I saw this pbs program where there are independent insured drivers with box trucks,Sprinters, or standard trucks with trailers that manage special deliveries cross country. It was quite interesting they have agents that broker loads just as if they were independent truckers but without the big rig. I was trying to research this area of specialty moving and thought it may be more rewarding than the major truck hauling work.

Anyway, still contemplating the second half of lifes adventure sort of speak.

It definitely will include change. I need more material to snicker about when Im 80 and restricted to the rocker. Thats all that really matters.

HA!
    Last edited by UTILQ1; March 9th, 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

There is also a show called shipping wars which is facilitated by a web site called Uship.com. They pickup and haul stuff all over the country using just a pickup truck and a trailer to a big rig.

Apparently my cousins husband is one of the shippers. I forget his name at the moment. He's the one with the big rig who has the same demeanor as Barry from Storage Wars.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I may have just found that fulfilling job I've been looking for

Sign Dancer

I feel like the person told to move a pile of rocks from one side of the yard to the other only to be told to move the rocks back again after I am done
    That is a great analogy of every update and reflag I have had.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I have seen that show "shipping wars" a few times. I think the big rig guy is named Ron, He has that big mustache. The little Texas chick is cute.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; March 11th, 2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: sentence was cut off.

Years of Experience

The more I come to this site, the more I think that something must be wrong with me. 15 years in and I still love the locating bizz. I wouldn't want to do anything else.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I may have just found that fulfilling job I've been looking for

Sign Dancer
    My experience with local contractors make me an ideal candidate for "cat herder". At least you can shoot cats.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    There is also a show called shipping wars which is facilitated by a web site called Uship.com. They pickup and haul stuff all over the country using just a pickup truck and a trailer to a big rig.
    I have seen that show "shipping wars" a few times. The little Texas chick is cute.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Speaking of stupid TV shows, whats up with all these new shows about every thing from gold mining to exterminating!
    When the hell are they going to have LOCATOR REALITIES !!!!! A reality show about a guy that locates from the big city to rural farm country. WOW , now that would be riveting TV

i actually took my sony handicam with me to work for like 2 weeks, but it just wasn't practical. not that much excitement since the whole point is to avoid catastrophe as a locator.... also it was made known to me that it would be a licencing issue since i don't own the company ya know what i mean?
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

With as much driving around as we do you'd think we would see something worth filming. I used to carry my camcorder with me so I could catch that once in a lifetime video. Well, I got nothing. I think the only thing to catch on video are some of the crappy yards we go into. The occasional dog. Weeds. dilapidated swing sets. people smoking on the back porch.

Real exciting.

And I would always like places with pets.

I loved to talk with the dogs and cats and even get a horse to act up on occasion.

I would always get upset when a homeowner came out to interrupt bonding with the creatures.

I am more of a creature person probably why i located for so long...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast