Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New USIC Trucks

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: New USIC Trucks

I have thought about going back to college and finsih a degree or get a new one but you are right with the hours you have to leave open incase it gets real busy or cover oncall doesn't leave a lot of time o get school in. I have been looking into online classes. I am not sure how other regions are but I have been seeing a lot of tenure techs leaving from anywhere to competitors to just getting out of locating. Just seems not a lot of happy campers out there, and i wonder if the upper managemnet has a clue.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    I have thought about going back to college and finsih a degree or get a new one but you are right with the hours you have to leave open incase it gets real busy or cover oncall doesn't leave a lot of time o get school in. I have been looking into online classes. I am not sure how other regions are but I have been seeing a lot of tenure techs leaving from anywhere to competitors to just getting out of locating. Just seems not a lot of happy campers out there, and i wonder if the upper managemnet has a clue.
    Getting a degree is not a bad idea.

There used to be back in the 1980s a job advancement technique called Job Hopping. The idea was to circumvent the slow advancement available if you stayed with one employer where you had to wait for someone to die or retire and create an opening.

What people did was use their current experience to get a higher rated job with another firm. For example they took a foreman's job with another firm, stayed for 6 months and then took a general foreman's job with another firm. They changed jobs at least once a year and a few years down the the road they had a position that would have taken 15 years or more staying with one employer.

Many of these locate firms are owned and operated by other corporations that place great value on a degree. This is usually becasue the people that make this decision have a degree themselves and did not rise up through the ranks.

So you use your degree and experience with your current firm to be a foreman with another locate firm. Now you instantly have "management experience" which makes you a candidate for be a manager, at least a foreman, in any other field. As a former locator you could be a foreman for any company that installs utilities, I have seen this done.

So I think making the effort to get that degree is worth it. Depending on the credits you have and the field they are in consider getting a certification as an interim goal to getting the degree.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I'm surprised to see the toneau covers. I thought they were not getting any of these due to not having enough room for all the manhole equipment. I do like those better than your normal camper shell because of the increased vision but the loss of room would be hard to get used to.
    yeah especially since we cant open the driver side of the tops anymore

Years of Experience

I have told them for years to put the gps on me I dont care I have wanted it on me so then there will be no questions on what or where as far as the trucks I like the extended cab bout time as far as the flat bed that is a big no how are we supposed to get all the crap in there and if we cant work out of the drivers side that really cuts out room for primary supplies they need to rethink this one before they put them all out in the field if not i am snatching off my camper off the yoda

By the way, the guys that have been put into the new trucks down here are calling them "butterflies" or "bat wings". I prefer "Batwings" , as that more accurately reflects most of upper mgmt's thinking process - "Batty"! As far as the GPS - the company line is "It will improve efficiency"???
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    By the way, the guys that have been put into the new trucks down here are calling them "butterflies" or "bat wings". I prefer "Batwings" , as that more accurately reflects most of upper mgmt's thinking process - "Batty"! As far as the GPS - the company line is "It will improve efficiency"???
    Dude, you don't have your babble fish in you ear? Get with technology!.

"It will improve efficiency"??? translates to "we are only going to put it in a little bit".

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator_smbk View Post
    The new trucks look retarded, hands down.

And all of you can GUARANTEE that supervisors and DMs will NOT have any form of GPS on their vehicles, as they ARE management.

I have been tracked by GPS numerous times. I purposely went out of my way several times for emergencies and rush tickets just to prove that "following the rules" makes all of the production "goals" go right out the damn window.

Reasons like this is why I want to get out of location so freaking bad. I DESPISE my job with a passion. I cannot trust my supervisor or any of the other middle and upper management any longer. But what can I do about it? Not a damn thing. I'm stick in a pissy job where no one trusts you, and treats you like a criminal or someone that is on house arrest.

When the GPS get put in my truck this time around, I will say a few choice words, drive the truck to my house, remove all of my personally owned equipment and then call the boss and tell him to find his truck with the stupid GPS and come get it off my property, as it can be considered a vehicle that is "trespassing" or I will have it towed at their expense. I have done this before, and burnt many bridges this way, but I don't really care anymore. Noone trusts me, so why should I trust them?
    It is likely that the foremen, shop supervisors and DMs will have gps on their vehicles. This is a matter of corporate bureaucracy making the decisions. The decision is not made at the foreman, office manager or district manager, regional VP level. It is made at the main corporate level office and the decision is to budget money to put gps tracking on corporate owned vehicles which means the entire corporate fleet. So you can expect the district managers, officer managers and foremen to all have gps tracking on their vehicles.

In some firms these managers use personal vehicles and are reimbursed so they cannot have gps trackers put onto these vehicles.

Has anyone shopped here before?
    http://www.thejammerstore.com/

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Has anyone shopped here before?
    http://www.thejammerstore.com/
    No, but portable jammers for gps are available. You can get a portable one and the more powerful they are the shorter the battery life. But even these can use a 12v cigarette lighter adapter.

I was wondering who here had the naughty mind that would come up with this.

I had heard that tin-foil over the antenna worked?

Years of Experience

I had heard that tin-foil over the antenna worked?
    If you wrap your head with the tin-foil it will stop those voices.

Years of Experience

http://www.lmtruck.com/lmt100/L&MT_Top_100.pdf

In this report dated May 2009 it showed USIC having 3,950 vehicles in their fleet. Figure out the cost the device and installation you have your immediate costs. Then there is the service fee to track all those vehicles and access that data monthly, times12 and you have your yearly cost. dd to it the cost of maintenance and spares.

Hardwired GPS trackers that can report their position seem to run between $200 and $300 each. Just as a wild number let say you can get the tracker and installation for $200 and put them in 3,900 of those vehicles. That would be $780,000.00 just to put them in the vehicles.

Lest say the monthly fee would be just $20 a month. ( Seems to run closer to $30 a month for a 12 month contract. That would be $78,000 a month or $936,000 a year. So the first year would cost $1,716,000 and after that it would be $936,000 a year plus maintenance.

Gps installation is a very expense proposition and the return it can give in our case is very small. As pointed out it puts employees in the position to cut productivity just to cya.

If gps is needed to track bad employees then track them, not the entire fleet. Just buy several portable gps trackers for each shop. When an employee is suspect bring in their truck for a tune up and swap them into a spare. Then swap trucks back once the gps has been installed.

It is kind of hard to blame management spending far to much money on a losing idea like putting gps on the entire fleet. The GPS service providers and equipment vendors have a real hard line sell going on. They promise lowered overtime, increased efficiency, decreased fuel costs and enhanced male virility. They post testimonials from their customers.

The thing about GPS is that in an industry like package pickup and delivery it can indeed be useful. You know which truck is in the best position to take a pickup order that just came in. As we have discussed about locating the opposite would happen as locators are forced to adopt a cya stance or lose their jobs.

GPS employee tracking has a place in the locating industry but simply equipping an entire fleet with GPS tracking is spending millions of dollars just to reduce profits.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    http://www.lmtruck.com/lmt100/L&MT_Top_100.pdf

In this report dated May 2009 it showed USIC having 3,950 vehicles in their fleet. Figure out the cost the device and installation you have your immediate costs. Then there is the service fee to track all those vehicles and access that data monthly, times12 and you have your yearly cost. dd to it the cost of maintenance and spares.

Hardwired GPS trackers that can report their position seem to run between $200 and $300 each. Just as a wild number let say you can get the tracker and installation for $200 and put them in 3,900 of those vehicles. That would be $780,000.00 just to put them in the vehicles.

Lest say the monthly fee would be just $20 a month. ( Seems to run closer to $30 a month for a 12 month contract. That would be $78,000 a month or $936,000 a year. So the first year would cost $1,716,000 and after that it would be $936,000 a year plus maintenance.

Gps installation is a very expense proposition and the return it can give in our case is very small. As pointed out it puts employees in the position to cut productivity just to cya.

If gps is needed to track bad employees then track them, not the entire fleet. Just buy several portable gps trackers for each shop. When an employee is suspect bring in their truck for a tune up and swap them into a spare. Then swap trucks back once the gps has been installed.

It is kind of hard to blame management spending far to much money on a losing idea like putting gps on the entire fleet. The GPS service providers and equipment vendors have a real hard line sell going on. They promise lowered overtime, increased efficiency, decreased fuel costs and enhanced male virility. They post testimonials from their customers.

The thing about GPS is that in an industry like package pickup and delivery it can indeed be useful. You know which truck is in the best position to take a pickup order that just came in. As we have discussed about locating the opposite would happen as locators are forced to adopt a cya stance or lose their jobs.

GPS employee tracking has a place in the locating industry but simply equipping an entire fleet with GPS tracking is spending millions of dollars just to reduce profits.
    Great assesment.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 6feetunder View Post
    Great assesment.
    Thank you 6 foot down

There is a lot of ball parking in my estimates but I think if I did anything was to underestimate the costs.

I estimated 1,700,000 to start the first year and about $900,000 yearly and it could be anywhere from half that to twice that. I honestly do not think it would cost any less but I consider the possibility.

One factor I did not include was additional man hours paid to management workers. A real time tracking and evaluation of 3,900 vehicles is beyond the hours in the day for current management staff. In the long run to make actual use of all that data they would have to hire more people just to log in and read the the tracking data.

I also did not compare grs tracking of the trucks to gps tracking of the company cell phone. All modern cell phones are gps capable. Since the phones are needed for daily use there is no additional cost, they are already in inventory. There is only the monthly fee for the tracking. But I do not have a college degree so there must be something wrong with that idea.

I have a dream scenario. Sitting in a shop meeting and all the people are there and one of the corporate bigwigs is explaining the gps system. I stand up and ask the question:

Well it cost around a $1,000,000 to buy the gps hardware for the trucks.. (I hold my company phone up) But these cell phones everyone of us carries are already paid for and have gps tracking chip that only needs to be turned on. So all these phones cost is the monthly tracking firm fee. Why are those trucks gps worth spending a $1,000,000 dollars on when we already have that equipment in our phones?

I do not think there is a real answer to that question anyone would be willing to make. I just have a wicked mind.

Best Buy has jammers for $59.95

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast