Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New USIC Trucks

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: New USIC Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by JRLocator View Post
    Got to put my 2 cents in. I run a 5 county route, apx. 5000 square miles. Right now I have been getting updates on a hiway project for 6 months apx. 10 tickets. They all are clear. I don't waist time driving out of my way and paint an OK every time. That is counter productive. GPS tracking will destroy my effecancy and productivity. ER is another problem. Knowing a location is clear 100 miles away is taken care of with a phone call, ie: water service in front, utility in rear. Going off route here is very counter productive.
    (Is there a spell check on this?)
    Sometimes you just have to do what they tell you to do then listen to them complain because profits decrease. Since you now cannot do all the work in 40 hours at least you start making overtime.

Personally I always made the effort to finish my work without overtime or to minimize overtime. If the company puts in a set of rules and procedures which I have to follow or get fired then I follow those rules and procedures. If I have to start making extra money rather than be profitable then the money just goes into my bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by flagsrme View Post
    USIC put gps in our trucks last week during a team meet.
    Hey Flags, did they put the unit on your truck or laptop? There is a new option in the Employee section of My USIC that lists GPS. Does anyone know what this is for?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

If you don't have GPS yet, you will soon. I personally don't care if I'm tracked. It's their truck, gas, and insurance. Although I think the tonneau(sp) cover is a very bad idea.. Also, the GPS will catch those who are dicking the dog. I have not, and will not change how I do my job. GPS is not going to affect it either, so I actually welcome it. Just make sure you have good locator notes, just in case something is red flagged. I've even come to start noting bathroom breaks.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    If you don't have GPS yet, you will soon. I personally don't care if I'm tracked. It's their truck, gas, and insurance. Although I think the tonneau(sp) cover is a very bad idea.. Also, the GPS will catch those who are dicking the dog. I have not, and will not change how I do my job. GPS is not going to affect it either, so I actually welcome it. Just make sure you have good locator notes, just in case something is red flagged. I've even come to start noting bathroom breaks.

You are asking them to take the word of your notes over their data. I believe you will find that if called in they will already have made up their minds and it will matter not one bit what your notes say.

Rather than document bathroom breaks I carry a large size soda cup and pee into it. Just put a large map or something over your lap so as to not frighten the women or horses. Also do not dump it in front of peoples houses. And a big thing is if you have to transport it to where you can dump it without spilling it then set it in the cup holder. The biggest thing is do not get the cup of pee in the cup holder mixed up with your cup of soda!

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

the new gps page is for supervisors, dm and other upper management to log on and check their locators. From an ealrier post it was stated hey were installing them on trucks.

I keep a pickle jar in my truck for that purpose because the cup could get knocked out or forget which one is pee. The pickle jar doesn't help on those days when you have to find a place to sit down. In the winter no corn fields to hide in.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    the new gps page is for supervisors, dm and other upper management to log on and check their locators. From an ealrier post it was stated hey were installing them on trucks.

I keep a pickle jar in my truck for that purpose because the cup could get knocked out or forget which one is pee. The pickle jar doesn't help on those days when you have to find a place to sit down. In the winter no corn fields to hide in.
    I know one thing that is going to come up that they had not planned on, divorce lawyers.

The gps keeps a tracking of the movements of the truck and with it the employee. It is common for divorce lawyers to subpoena work records to determine that the spouse was not at work as they had claimed. Or at least I believe this is a common practice.

I wonder how many bosses have thought that their spouse can use the gps tracking in the company truck to nail them in divorce court?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post

Consider also the place of gps in office politics and knives in the back.

Anybody with access to the gps tracking system has access to their employees tracking data. But the thing about access is it tends to grow as passwords are discovered and passed around. Expect manages to have access to other managers tracking data and in most firms the managers, from foreman to office manager to district manager, drive the company vehicle after hours.

So if one foreman does not like another foreman he / she could use the data to get the other foreman fired. For that matter the foreman can take down the general manger for their shop. The shop manager can use it to get rid of a foreman they do not like or to create an opening so they can hire a buddy.

The gps data shows you were parked in front of a bar during working hours for three hours, that you were driving 72 mph in a 50mph zone, that you were parked overnight at another employee's home (sexual relations between managers and employees is usually a forbidden and a firing offense).

The gps system can make the managers just as vulnerable as the locators.

Do most of you guys piss in cups/glass jars/gatorade bottles etc. etc. or do you only do it when it's an absolute emergency and there are NO other options????

I ask because if you guys are that scared of GPS and Management where you can't even use the toilet like normal human beings then someone needs a SERIOUS talking to.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Do most of you guys piss in cups/glass jars/gatorade bottles etc. etc. or do you only do it when it's an absolute emergency and there are NO other options????

I ask because if you guys are that scared of GPS and Management where you can't even use the toilet like normal human beings then someone needs a SERIOUS talking to.
    Who needs the talking too? Management or locators?

As for the pee cup I use it when I need it. Also not to waste time driving to a toilet, keeps production up. When you think about it it keeps someone from asking you why gps showed you drove two miles to a site where there was no job. So it is this or keeping a daily log of times and places you pee.

To answer, that would be management that needs the talking to.

Now granted I have used a gatorade bottle once or twice but if ANYONE ever gave me a hard time or bullshit as to why a GPS unit put me out while I had to use the bathroom, oh yeah, you can bet there would be a FIGHT about it.

I am not, nor would I EVER treat anyone, like an animal. NO ONE should ever dictate when one can use the bathroom or ask IGNORANT questions about a GPS unit in relation to said bathroom break.

You guys/gals have the RIGHT to be treated like human beings. If your company doesn't do this, and you are afraid of getting in trouble over it, find a LABOR LAWYER because that my friends is BULLSHIT!!!

The only real problem I have is the double speak.
    Now that people are being watched, yes, the bad habbits will either have to stop, or be found out. But that also opens up the window for what everyone else is saying. You are forcing your employees to shrink the only margin you have for profit. It may never be written, but it has been spoken. "The tenured techs know what shortcuts they can take." How is that true if everything we do is black and white and nothing to do with individual decision making.As for GPS, go ahead, prove how long it actually takes when you do things by the book. Honestly, I don't see how a tenured tech should any faster than an employee with 1 year in the field (though that is tenured by our company standards.) I still have to perform my job the same way.

If I don't drive back to a jobsite, I risk my data not adding up. If I do drive back to a jobsite, I risk low productivity. Either way, I just wish it wouldn't be such a mis-used tool of management. I only say that because I know of 2 supervisors who spoke with locators (not so kindly either) regarding how long it takes to perform a locate that they themselves have never done, but clearly think the locator took too long. I myself have been questioned on locates and times. I just wish more upper management would take your advice with the MBWA approach

(sorry for the rant, that's what happens when you don't read the post until 3 more pages of been put up...and this is a subject that bothers me greatly. I see a need to monitor your employees, but now from a different county, or state for that matter)

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Hey Flags, did they put the unit on your truck or laptop? There is a new option in the Employee section of My USIC that lists GPS. Does anyone know what this is for?
    The units are in the trucks. The new gps option in My USIC is a internet link for the supervisor to track the trucks.

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

The new trucks look retarded, hands down.

And all of you can GUARANTEE that supervisors and DMs will NOT have any form of GPS on their vehicles, as they ARE management.

I have been tracked by GPS numerous times. I purposely went out of my way several times for emergencies and rush tickets just to prove that "following the rules" makes all of the production "goals" go right out the damn window.

Reasons like this is why I want to get out of location so freaking bad. I DESPISE my job with a passion. I cannot trust my supervisor or any of the other middle and upper management any longer. But what can I do about it? Not a damn thing. I'm stick in a pissy job where no one trusts you, and treats you like a criminal or someone that is on house arrest.

When the GPS get put in my truck this time around, I will say a few choice words, drive the truck to my house, remove all of my personally owned equipment and then call the boss and tell him to find his truck with the stupid GPS and come get it off my property, as it can be considered a vehicle that is "trespassing" or I will have it towed at their expense. I have done this before, and burnt many bridges this way, but I don't really care anymore. Noone trusts me, so why should I trust them?
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Years of Experience
    15+

all comp trucks get it is what i heard

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by locator_smbk View Post
    The new trucks look retarded, hands down.

And all of you can GUARANTEE that supervisors and DMs will NOT have any form of GPS on their vehicles, as they ARE management.

I have been tracked by GPS numerous times. I purposely went out of my way several times for emergencies and rush tickets just to prove that "following the rules" makes all of the production "goals" go right out the damn window.

Reasons like this is why I want to get out of location so freaking bad. I DESPISE my job with a passion. I cannot trust my supervisor or any of the other middle and upper management any longer. But what can I do about it? Not a damn thing. I'm stick in a pissy job where no one trusts you, and treats you like a criminal or someone that is on house arrest.

When the GPS get put in my truck this time around, I will say a few choice words, drive the truck to my house, remove all of my personally owned equipment and then call the boss and tell him to find his truck with the stupid GPS and come get it off my property, as it can be considered a vehicle that is "trespassing" or I will have it towed at their expense. I have done this before, and burnt many bridges this way, but I don't really care anymore. Noone trusts me, so why should I trust them?
    so...... how do you really feel? j/k

Fortunately (knock on wood) I havn't worked for a company that used GPS to monitor its employees. I usually left right before they started.

As for leaving locating......... I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I made enough money it made it very difficult to find a job that would pay me what I was currently being paid, but at the same time the job sucked imensely. I didn't have time to go to school and change career paths, to get a better job. Talk about a catch 22.

Hope it all works out for you.

mke

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast