Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New USIC Trucks

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: New USIC Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Pro Loc is correct. Our contracts require a site visit on every ticket, no matter the circumstances. Currently our Sup allows us to clear tickets without the visit if we just located the same address earlier that day. However, anyone with any sense will now go back to that address and re-take pictures.

There is a plan currently being talked up between trusted locators that will show management how worthless their GPS scheme is going to be. Stay tuned.
    This is a dangerous path. Document that they misspent lots of money and lost production profits and the only thing they are likely to do is flush you down the memory hole.

Many years ago there was a study, I have since lost it, that found managers kept failed programs and procedures working for years. This was because if they stopped or changed them it would be an admission of making a mistake and put their own employment in jeopardy so they covered up their failures. Office politics are seldom productive.

Years of Experience

I am sorry, in my last reply to sprayandpray I was too brief and almost to the point of being rude. Being rude is of course unheard of on the 'vine and I do not wish to start a trend.

You are doing what you are doing becasue you are a good employee. You know that if the firm is making more profits your job is more secure, better for everybody. The thing is this tends to backfire becasue the managers above you are not as good at their jobs as you are. If they were there would not be such problems.

I have been in the same situation and the answer I get is "we can't change this" becasue they put money into it, one program millions, and they cannot explain to stockholders why millions of dollars were spent on a program that was then shut down. Oh they can explain it but the explanation includes their own mistakes and or incompetence.

For being a good employee about these things and making suggestions I was later admonished by a supervisor about "your problems with corporate America". So I can personally tell you that the path to hell is truly lined with good intentions.

Unless your managers have shown a record of being receptive to criticism this is a path to hell.

Last edited by sling'n paint; March 5th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sling'n paint View Post
    Im not worried about GPS on the truck but when they track me my location will not match my current location 90% of the time.

I dont see it as cheating the company because I am working on tickets its just not the one that I will be billing at that time.
    Unfortunately this will get you into trouble in such a situation.

Think you only have to tell answer a question raised by your foreman? If that were the case things would be easy as long as your foreman is decent at their job.

Almost everybody in management will have access to the gps tracking. The computers also allow them access to your tickets and completed ticket load in real time. This will be the manager of your shop and his / her assistants. The regional VP and his / her assistants and God only knows who in the national corporate office. If your firm is owned by a holding company then they also can have access to all that data.

If you are thinking that a regional VP will not be looking at your tickets then you are wrong. The regional VP will want to monitor their DMs and evaluate their work. But they have no direct access to how the daily operation is being run except your gps and your ticket records.

So what this will result in is everybody looking over your shoulder trying to find something to complain about.

So three weeks later, if not the same day, you can expect to get grilled as why the gps showed you were at a different location than what your completed tickets recorded. No matter what you tell them, if you can remember exactly what happened that day, they will consider you in the wrong.

GPS is going to save on gasoline (if route audits are done properly) but will wash in increased drive time and lost revenue due to locators trying to comply and the start-up is some serious coin. I can't justify it...

Hey Pro, appreciate the concern and agree about Mgmt covering their own asses. However, the word thru the grapevine is our 1st several layers of Managers were against the GPS. Hopefully it will turn out like the idea to buy all our gasoline at Shell stations because they offered a 2 cent per gallon discount. The 'genius' who thought that up failed to check and find out that Shell normally charged 8 to 10 cents higher than most other companies.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

When SBC still had their locates in house there was a damage. I believe it was a high profile fiber. The locator said he had been there and marked it, I think it was a relocate ticket. The upper bosses pulled the GPS on his truck and found he never was there and he was fired. I believe it is written into the contracts for a positive response and that our company must physically go to each locate. Also company policy to bill out the ticket while onsite and it you complete it to bill it out fully when there. If you are billing out tickets while at different location you would open yourself up for dismissal ammunition if they are looking to get rid of you.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Buy gas at shell. I always thought that by the shear volume of gas bought by fleets that they just set up contracts to buy the gasoline at a set rate for the year with a +/- built in.

i heard from another locator his supervisor was looking forward to gps to be able to see where his locators were. hopefully this also helps him when he tracks them to see that his ticket loading sucks and he has people criss crossing each other. i have had to have the guy i worked next to at times call our supervisor and have him trade tickets. He would give the guy like one or two tickets in his northern section and times have me come over and help. i would get two tickets in north and one or two in south, so when i found this out i would have the guy call and get tickets traded so i would do all north and he all south.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    Buy gas at shell. I always thought that by the shear volume of gas bought by fleets that they just set up contracts to buy the gasoline at a set rate for the year with a +/- built in.

i heard from another locator his supervisor was looking forward to gps to be able to see where his locators were. hopefully this also helps him when he tracks them to see that his ticket loading sucks and he has people criss crossing each other. i have had to have the guy i worked next to at times call our supervisor and have him trade tickets. He would give the guy like one or two tickets in his northern section and times have me come over and help. i would get two tickets in north and one or two in south, so when i found this out i would have the guy call and get tickets traded so i would do all north and he all south.
    That gps solution to poor selection of tickets to assign is dependent on the software allowing the display of tracking of two or more trucks at the same time. Even if it has that capability it is then dependent on the foreman actually using that capability.

Try this - - - Setup a dedicated e-mail account for work only. Tell you foreman that there is a lot of meeting the other locators in the field because you keep getting into the same area, even houses next door to each other. Tell him that when he needs to send a locator into your area to let you know. That you will select the number of tickets needed and e-mail him the ticket numbers. Tell him you need to know where they are coming from, and who they are, so that you can select tickets closest to their route and suited to their ability. That when you have e-mailed the tickets you will give him a call back so he can read them. This is dependent on your laptop having a wireless card.

This saves the foreman the time he would be using to try and select tickets so he / she would be receptive to the idea. This also makes for a better selection resulting in higher productivity making the foreman look better. I have done this and it works well for everybody.

Years of Experience

Are the supervisors getting GPS installed?

Banned

Numbers on the back of trucks and gps , tells employees there is no trust.

Does it matter that your employees don't trust you?
    YES, it matters very much. The two biggest reasons why it matters are related - PERFORMANCE and Profits.

I guarantee you that you will not get top performance out of any employee who does not trust you. If they don't trust you to make the best decisions AND trust you to look out for their best interests - they feel they have to do it themselves. The time they spend doing that, or thinking about how to do it, takes away from their production, their quality, and their creativity.

Okay, be a Type A, or a 9,1 on the GRID. You may be able to push performance levels up, but you can't keep them there. Without the employees' trust you won't get that spark of creativity from them that is so important. They won't innovate that one little idea that could have kept you ahead of your competitor.

Let's face it. The performance of your employees reflects heavily on your own performance. After all, Management is the ability to get things done through others. If you can't get top performance from your employees, how can you prove to your boss that you are a great manager?

If your employees don't trust you, you probably aren't going to trust them too much. You will end up spending your time, and you are short of that already, checking up on them. That time could be better spent elsewhere, couldn't it?

Profits:
    We just documented the time wasted by both the manager and the employees because of lack of trust. You can measure the cost of those wasted hours, but the bigger cost is lost innovation and creativity. Profits are not made by doing a job well. They are made by DOING IT BETTER.

Ask Them:
    One of the simplest ways to get an answer is to ask direct questions. You probably have someone in your group whom you trust. Don't ask them how they feel, instead ask them how the group feels. Don't try and isolate comments about specific individuals. Concentrate instead on group impressions. You will be surprised at what you can learn.

Listen to Them:
    When you ask an employee a question, really listen to their answer. It's almost like reading between the lines. If they start to tell you something and then stop, that is a pretty good example that they don't completely trust you.

Be Less Formal:
    Get out of your office. Management by Walking Around (MBWO) really does work. Not only are people more apt to approach you in "their territory," but you will hear and see things that never make it into the reports that come into your office. Besides, when your employees see you walking around, they begin to see you as a person, not just as "the boss." It's a lot easier to mistrust "the boss" than to mistrust an individual.

Summary:
    Trust is earned. It takes time to earn the trust of your employees, but you can be part of the top third, part of the group of managers whose employees trust them, part of the group that is maximizing performance and profits. Show them that they can trust you to look out for their best interests, and it is surprising how quickly they will begin to trust your ability to make good decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Are the supervisors getting GPS installed?
    Yes

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    There is a plan that will show management how worthless their GPS scheme is going to be. Stay tuned.
    Many years ago there was a study that found managers kept failed programs and procedures working for years. If they stopped or changed them, it would be an admission of making a mistake. It put their own employment in jeopardy so they covered up their failures. Office politics are seldom productive.
    WoW! Hey Pro - How true! I've seen "office politics" in action in my past jobs. That's how the Japanese sucked the manufacturing base out of the USA during the 1980s.

I see it every day in our elected, non-representing, 2-Party A-holes in Washington DC - My best examples of mistakes kept alive: 13th Amendment, 16th Amendment, War Powers Act, Social Security, foreign aid, United Nations, CIA, Warren Commission, LBJ's "Great Society," gun control Legislation, Anti-Terrorism Bill, NAFTA, GATT, 9/11 Commission, Patriot Act, Homeland Security, behemoth international bank bailouts, Stimulus Packages, the bullshit "War on Terror" and many, many more..........

When an idea doesn't work, instead of admitting a mistake and killing the project, these dumb asses in both the private and public sectors throw more money at it and make it BIGGER!

----------------------------------------------------------

Wing , it's kind of like my wife and her diet(s). When she gets tired of actually dieting she has to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe to make it look like her butt got smaller!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Got to put my 2 cents in. I run a 5 county route, apx. 5000 square miles. Right now I have been getting updates on a hiway project for 6 months apx. 10 tickets. They all are clear. I don't waist time driving out of my way and paint an OK every time. That is counter productive. GPS tracking will destroy my effecancy and productivity. ER is another problem. Knowing a location is clear 100 miles away is taken care of with a phone call, ie: water service in front, utility in rear. Going off route here is very counter productive.
    (Is there a spell check on this?)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast