Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New USIC Trucks

Default New USIC Trucks

Got a sneak-peek at 'em today. Not sure how I feel about the graphics...the USIC looks photoshopped on the truck, and the red stripe reminds me of a fire marshall's truck. At least they did away with those single strobe lights and upgraded to rotating halogen beacons...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hpim1165.jpg   hpim1166.jpg   hpim1173.jpg   hpim1174.jpg  

Years of Experience

Default Re: New USIC Trucks

I'm surprised to see the toneau covers. I thought they were not getting any of these due to not having enough room for all the manhole equipment. I do like those better than your normal camper shell because of the increased vision but the loss of room would be hard to get used to.

Years of Experience

Any logo has to be better than the Nascar-like group of stickers I currently have on my truck. I drive an extended cab Ranger with the toneau covers and I love it, though like Goldenboy said it's a tight fit with all of the manhole equipment. Any time I need to get into a manhole I spend an extra 20 minutes just loading/unloading my manhole gear. I also think these trucks are a bit more professional looking that the ones with the camper shells.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I'm surprised to see the toneau covers. I thought they were not getting any of these due to not having enough room for all the manhole equipment. I do like those better than your normal camper shell because of the increased vision but the loss of room would be hard to get used to.

I am also surprised, I thought they were getting rid of those covers. I do not like them. Dealt with a couple here in the district and it was difficult to get things out. Just makes me take extra care of the truck assigned to me now.
    GOD BLESS THE USA & the Damage Prevention Techs that are the heartbeat of the Utility industry.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    OPINIONS ARE LIKE A-HOLES EVERYONE HAS ONE.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Do they come with the new GPS or our they going to use the laptops or phones to track people now?

I want my topper with all the manhole equipment paint flags and supplies where do I put my pump hose tie it on the roof
    "BOHICA" Bend Over Here It Comes Agin

I like the added vis, but it's going to be a tight fit, not to mention awkward lifting positions needed for some supplies. I see some minor back issues coming out of this. Love the extended cab! Finally, I can remove my knees from my teeth!!!!!

I don't particularly care for the company logo now. It doesn't seem to go with the scheme at all. Almost looks temporary???
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

those dont look bad i would have to tint that rear window probably limo black
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Last edited by sling'n paint; March 5th, 2010 at 07:44 PM.

Years of Experience

They have been getting 6 cylinders for years now. I was told they went to the extended cabs because they couldn't even get rid of the standard cabs. There just isn't a market for a standard cab small truck.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    They have been getting 6 cylinders for years now. I was told they went to the extended cabs because they couldn't even get rid of the standard cabs. There just isn't a market for a standard cab small truck.
    The 4 cylinder engine in the Ford Ranger is very good, really decent pickup for a 4 cylinder. Those that have complained of the four cylinder and want the six like it for hitting the gas and accelerating fast. I remember the guy that complained of the 4 cylinder preference the loudest got a speeding ticket in the 4 cylinder.

I have no problems with the Ford Ranger 4 cylinder.

For locating the extended cab is the way to go. The extra space is needed in winter to keep locate equipment and paint from freezing. Cold locate equipment equals dead batteries.

There is another important factor with the extended cabs, employees over 6 feet tall. Back pain is a problem for tall employees in the small pickups that do not have extended cabs.

Many firms no longer keep any four wheel drive in inventory for the oncall man. These transfer cases and extra drive gear adds a lot of expense and long term maintenance cost. I was wondering if any fleets out there have tried vehicles with limited slip rear differentials as an in between measure. Certainly not a full replacement for 4WD but as I recall when I first thought of it the Dodge Dakota option for this cost $180.

Last edited by sling'n paint; March 5th, 2010 at 07:44 PM.

I'm in a Tacoma right now so I have no hope of seeing a new truck for a while, my mileage is barely over 70k so they'll probably keep me in my truck as long as they can. It's a 4cyl, and it does alright for the most part but it's tough to get out into traffic sometimes.

I agree, it's going to be rough getting everything in the back with the flat cover, but I think it's do-able. Then again, our group has shared pumps that we keep at a storage facility so I don't have to lug one around.

Nextel? Verizon? We use AT&T down here...

I have always thought of 'Sanford and Son' when I see one of those Tacomas drive past. They always look like the rear end is getting ready to take a dump, they remind me of a squatting dog.

I don't know if those Rangers will fair any better.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast