• 1 Post By Nb22x
  • 1 Post By second notice
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By second notice
  • 3 Post By Teddy121

Thread: New Supervisor?????

Years of Experience

Default New Supervisor?????

Just found out today that USIC has a new supervisor in my district..............it is verified that he is under 22yrs. of age and has only been out of "class" about 15 months. Hell, he has been allowed to locate anything more difficult than a cable tv drop or fence ticket. and hasn't been on-call as yet.

If supervisors are supposed to help their crew, what does the crew do when their supervisor has no f'ing clue what is going on? This kid must be someone in upper mgmt's nephew or have some really bad dirt on someone. Just saying. AND, no, I am not jealous. Although I don't know why, I am surprised as hell and even feel sorry for this poor guy. He will get absolutely zero respect from his crew and ultimately the entire team will suffer.

I really don't understand this..........., but that's nothing unusual considering it is USIC.
    Nb22x likes this.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: New Supervisor?????

It's possible that they couldn't get any experienced guys to even consider taking the position, I know among the old crew I worked with no one would have taken a supervisor position.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by second notice View Post
    Just found out today that USIC has a new supervisor in my district..............it is verified that he is under 22yrs. of age and has only been out of "class" about 15 months. Hell, he has been allowed to locate anything more difficult than a cable tv drop or fence ticket. and hasn't been on-call as yet.

If supervisors are supposed to help their crew, what does the crew do when their supervisor has no f'ing clue what is going on? This kid must be someone in upper mgmt's nephew or have some really bad dirt on someone. Just saying. AND, no, I am not jealous. Although I don't know why, I am surprised as hell and even feel sorry for this poor guy. He will get absolutely zero respect from his crew and ultimately the entire team will suffer.

I really don't understand this..........., but that's nothing unusual considering it is USIC.
    I dont know where youre at but I hear from my old group of guys they are having the same issue here.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    It's possible that they couldn't get any experienced guys to even consider taking the position, I know among the old crew I worked with no one would have taken a supervisor position.
    When I first started locating I was trained by my Brother in-law. I was within the first week and he told me, "When you are out on your own, there will come a point in time where they will offer you the lead/supervisor position. Whether you take it or not is up to you, but let me warn you that the $1 raise does not cover the bill for the asprin and the pepto."

I thought it was Bob being Bob, but within 6 months of bein on my own, I was asked if I wanted to be the lead/supervisor. By that time, I realized that they just wanted someone to take constant verbal beatings so I passed.

On a seperate note, there is a local office of a company here who did the same thing. The sup is a young kid who may of had a year under his belt before they moved him up to a DM position. I don't know how people can lead with out knowing what the troops are going through.

This guy was also heard saying that he can locate PVC waterlines if there was enough water flow in the pipe.

mke
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

all decisions are based on the dollar . you're just a pawn ....put on the board to serve a purpose ...company needs to make a profit ...the pawn needs to do his part
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Sounds like some college kid with no experience, they made him a sup because he could't locate very well.
    Nope,I would have absolutely ZERO respect for this kid also.
    I hear some techs are made sups and DI's if their production is not very good.
    yahoo likes this.
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    i remember seeing the notice for this position. It would seem logical to offer the position to others, even if they did not apply, before you just ruined some guys life and you would think that any such decision would be scrutinized, maybe even killed, by the RM.
    yahoo likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Utiliquest had, and think still has, a program of hiring college grads and fast tracking for management positions. The prospect spends a couple of months locating and then is promoted, usually as an assistant to the manager of the locators. They are slated to have more promotions in the future.

Years of Experience

A supervisor works very long hours for little pay. When you reverse engenieer the gross pay compaiing it to what you would have earned if OT was paid you often work for minimum wage or even less.

Taking the supervisors position does add to the resum4e and gives greater options to work elsewhere. You now have 'management' experiance. I have seen such people take positions in other firms for better pay.

For people who have a health factor even the long hours are possible where physical infirmity prevents you from being a locator.

You may have some more flexibility in taking time off without using leave time. Doctors appointments, getting personal vehicle repaired, etc. can often be done without using leave time. An unofficial "comp time" often exists since supervisors don't get OT. Also after hour use of company vehicle may be expanded because as long as you have people out working you are expected to respond quickly when needed in the field.

You will make more money as a locator as long as your are willing and able to work the OT.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    A supervisor works very long hours for little pay. When you reverse engenieer the gross pay compaiing it to what you would have earned if OT was paid you often work for minimum wage or even less.

Taking the supervisors position does add to the resum4e and gives greater options to work elsewhere. You now have 'management' experiance. I have seen such people take positions in other firms for better pay.

For people who have a health factor even the long hours are possible where physical infirmity prevents you from being a locator.

You may have some more flexibility in taking time off without using leave time. Doctors appointments, getting personal vehicle repaired, etc. can often be done without using leave time. An unofficial "comp time" often exists since supervisors don't get OT. Also after hour use of company vehicle may be expanded because as long as you have people out working you are expected to respond quickly when needed in the field.

You will make more money as a locator as long as your are willing and able to work the OT.
    Yes,but a 22 year old supervisor with 15 months of "training" will not be much help if someone needs him to respond quickly in the field. Maybe he can bring water, gatorade, snacks, etc.
    Nb22x likes this.

Years of Experience

Yes,but a 22 year old supervisor with 15 months of "training" will not be much help if someone needs him to respond quickly in the field. Maybe he can bring water, gatorade, snacks, etc.
    true, plus they have no supervisory experience. This is what happens when the higher ups value schooling over experience. Very often these same higher ups also hired on with just schooling so they think just schooling is better.

Years of Experience

if this was my sup at USIC i would make his life hell. I mean i would treat him ass a boss but shit I knew that would mess with him i would have so many un toneables headed his way.

SOL did the same thing. Made guys that really didnt know what was going on in the field but made them sups. Ive got a guy that i work with that was an old sup for SOL and hes only got a year and a half experience and I believe he got his experience from SOL then jumping ship to USIC. He calls with complaints or trouble and I just think to myself "how was you a sup?". But other than that hes a very good dude and very good worker. I have 8 years supervisor experience, not in the locating field but my other career and I would NEVER take a supervisor job at a locating company. The words "salary" make my skin crawl but im not one that wants to work for free just for a title. Plus my attitude would get me knocked down back to a locator real quick.
    yahoo, UULC and daman1 like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post

Don't know if staying at home watching the cooking channel equates to very long hours.
    s

Years of Experience

I have been around long enough to see a noob who was an upper management UPS fella ride along with a 20 year old locator (Jeremy) for a couple of months. Buster Brown was hired specifically to be a district manager and ownership felt the guy needed field experience to effectively run a district. Jeremy was chosen because he was likeable and exceptional in talent and knowledge. At the time, Jeremy's area was a two way area in a rural market. Phenomenal!

Jeremy later confided in me that Buster Brown was very unproductive (he knew his time was going to be short in the field) and the prints to him were nothing more than lines on a piece of paper. On every locate, Jeremy had to find the page (back then all prints were on paper) and point to the noob where he was on the page. The noob only did shallow dig tickets on his own that required not pulling prints. Hell, I know of many staff members in key positions today that have less field experience than Buster Brown!

The guy was a quite a character as a DM and lasted longer than most. He was eventually asked to leave the company.

The point was made earlier that locators may have a hard time respecting the new sup. It has been my experience that all positions above the locators have little to no respect for the locators............... just sayin.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------