Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Locator

Default New Locator

Hey Guys i just got a job in Jersey at Utiliquest. I never located before but they have training. Is it hard to get use to and is it a good job? just let me know if you guys like it and if its a good career to get into. Thank

Default Re: New Locator

Welcome to those jiggly twins..............oops, sorry Zubo, welcome to the show. I've been doing it about 10 years and love it. Used to work in retail, but I love this a hell of a lot better. Plus I make alot more doing this.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Does locating take time to get use to?

Ya ive only heard good things about it but still nervous about starting. Im afraid im not going to understand and waste a good job.

Years of Experience

Talking Re: New Locator

Hey Zubo, salutations!....*wiggle*...locating can be a great career for the right person...*boob*...if you like technical things, can deal with stress at times,...*booooob*...don't mind working in extrme weather...*mmmmmm, boobies*...can deal with the occasional idiot...*thems nice tig ol' bitties*...good, locating good, sometimes hard, I like loca...*BOOBIES!!!!*...*drool*...huh? you said...locating?...huh? wha?...*mmmmm boobies*...

opcornsmile:
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    I'm very thankful to be working in a field that is a good fit for me. I love the freedom, the company vehicle with the gas card and being part of a close knit fraternity out in the real world of locating. I have many SM&P buddies - that goes without saying. But I enjoy being a part of a fraternity, my real buddies, that are the excavators and utility reps. These people are as close to me as any of my relatives. We have shared many life experiences together in my 11+ years in the field. These have been the "good times." I have gone to weddings, retirement parties, school functions, lunches, evening dinners, picnics, BBQs, weekend trips and to professional sports events together with my fraternity buddies. And sadly I have attended funerals for some members of this fraternity of excavation.

First - I recommend you to find a 2 year (+/-) veteran to be your mentor. Pair up with one that is a quick bond. You will learn more in 2 months from a 2 year vet than a year on your own. A 2 year vet still does primarily the basics in locating and does not know ALL the scary shortcuts........ yet! And that is a good thing! Don't use your supervisor as your mentor!!!! He/she will slow you down. Chances are great he/she became a supervisor because he/she wasn't worth a shit as a locator............ (Hey boss - When you read this, I'm not talking about you!) I am blessed to have my 1st line as a friend. He is a better locator than I will ever become (and that ain't no shit).

Second - I recommend you make sure your SM&P trainer emphasizes print usage - Understand all your prints (AT&T maps - gas maps - CATV maps - electricity maps - etc) - Know how to use them correctly - Always know where you are in the field physically and know how to place yourself on each print - Get a compass if you have to and put it on your windshield - Use your prints on every locate ticket - Before and after you lay down paint - After all these years in locating, I still use every print on every locate ticket; before and after I lay down paint.

You may get tired of the mountains of dog shit sticking to your boots, barking dogs, muddy boots, invisible fences, privacy fences, inquisitive homeowners, satellite tv stand tickets, planting flower tickets, planting a garden tickets, planting a bush tickets, planting a tree tickets, burying CATV & telephone drop tickets, survey tickets, termite bait tickets and foundation repair tickets. The good thing is these tickets will never get you into big trouble. All noobs go thru this apprenticeship training before they develop into a bonafide locating vet. Hang in there. Wear your mentor out. Your first 6 months will stink. Trust Wingfoot on this - It only gets better with time. One day soon you will like this profession very much. Just like all of us at theVine enjoy this profession.

------------------------------------------
    Hey Zubo - Welcome to theVine - Congratulations for getting chosen for the utility locating business. I wish you the very best. Above, I cut & pasted a previous post of mine to another noob.

My answer to your question, "Does locating take time to get use to?", YES...... Your first 2 years will be full new experiences and let-downs. But don't get discouraged. Always persevere. Common sense is all locator's best asset. If you are weak on recognizing the obvious, this job will tear you up.

Once you are assigned to a team, be sure to nail down a mentor chop-chop. Get a recommendation from your supervisor for a match. We all have been where you are now - a little afraid..... But don't be scared. Every person on your team wants you to succeed... and will help you acclimate quickly.

A tenured locator has the ability to finesse the deep-dig contractors and utility technicians to keep him (the locator) out of trouble. This all starts by laying down accurate paint and being punctual.

Thanks for becoming a member to theVine. Please post often. Tell your classmates to check us out, too.

------------------------------------------------

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

welcome to the Vine Zubo.

With that being said....

Realisticly...every job sucks. Its a matter of the suck'o'meter. Depending on the company you are with it might have a low suck'o'meter rating wich is good, but then there are companies with a high Suck'o'meter rating. You really won't know till you are with the company for a while.

Locating in general is great and it will take a bit of time to get used to, but a good company won't feed you too the wolves right away. You'll get hand fed lot jobs and single mainlines to cut your teeth on so you get used to the Techniques as well as the equipment.

The Best advice I got during training was "C.Y.A.". Communicate with everyone to let them know whats going on. You'll find out quickly on who you can ask questions to (should be a seasoned Locator, people in the office may not have the answers).

Feel Free to ask any questions here as well... you might have goofy questions on anything from names of peds to something called "icky pick" and the names probably very do to region the people work in.

good luck.

Years of Experience

It's the breast job I've ever had! After a while it really titillates your soul, and the nipple effect is that you meet a lot of good folks along the way!
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience

Talking Re: New Locator

Ooooops..... hit the send button twice.........
    Last edited by OVUS1; April 17th, 2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Couldn't focus due to Zubo's avitar.....
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience

I hope you enjoy the new job. It does take a few months to really get into the swing of things, but if you are cut out for this line of work everything will just start to make sense.

That said, locating isn't for everyone. I've seen some really smart and hardworking people who couldn't wrap thier minds around how it all worked.

If you're one of the latter, no shame in it, don't waste time, look for something else that works for you, because lives can be at stake.

But, all in all, I love this job, and I hope you do too.

Lord knows we need more competent locators out there.

Here's to you being one of us.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

ZUBO:

Everyone has touched on all the key points (no pun intended) so I will not rehash too much.

Wing is right about mentoring. My mentor was freeking AWESOME and we became fast friends. Learned a ton of shit from him and still admire his locating skills.

The learning curve is fairly steep and a fair bit of the time you will be wondering what the hell you got into, BUT, give it time. All the pieces will start to fall into place and pretty soon, you will start wondering what you were sweating about!

Good luck dude!

P.S. : Your avatar is quite an eye catcher!!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Quote Originally Posted by Zubo9231 View Post
    Hey Guys i just got a job in Jersey at Utiliquest. I never located before but they have training. Is it hard to get use to and is it a good job? just let me know if you guys like it and if its a good career to get into. Thank
    Well, first off, congrats for getting hired. And, having said that, have a good weekend, as I know you are likely limited to 40 hour workweeks during your training...better enjoy that while it lasts.

as to answer your questions..

Whether or not it's hard to get used to simply depends on the person, it won't take long for you to identify the adaptive from the non-adaptive. Coincidentially, whether or not this is a good career also depends on the person...my advice after doing this for a little over a year is to take it one line at a time, a sentence I'm sure you've already heard. It's really true though, you'll see guys that seem to be under severe pressure or even get pressured yourself but the truth of the matter is that is what you call 'adaptation' ...at first it hurts, then it gets easier and easier as you get set in your ways

Good luck
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    Ooooops..... hit the send button twice.........
    Is it her button you hit twice???
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Just like a big tasty cup of JELLO.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Oh yeah I forgot about the job, umm it sucks pretty much depending on who you work for. If you work for USIC you might as well walk in the door bent over ready to take it. The job itself is great but the circumstances that the locating companies , one call centers, utilities and contractors put you in is what sucks. At any rate you can earn a decent living without an education so good luck to you my friend. If you can make it through your first year you'll be alright.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast