Thread: New to locating have a few general questions

Default New to locating have a few general questions

Hi I am new to locating, and had a few general questions that you seasons pros shpuld be able to ansewr for me :-0
    these may sound silly but i have to ask.
    1) How do the frequencies work?
    I just bought a used vivax vloc pro and there are so many different frequency options. I use this locator for 2 things locating water service lines and sewer sondes.

2) sometimes i have to trace a water line 1000 feet what is the best frequency to use in this instance?
    from what I understand the higher the number say 200khz will trace further than say 83khz

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: New to locating have a few general questions

Quote Originally Posted by ryanferrell221 View Post
    Hi I am new to locating, and had a few general questions that you seasons pros shpuld be able to ansewr for me :-0
    these may sound silly but i have to ask.
    1) How do the frequencies work?
    I just bought a used vivax vloc pro and there are so many different frequency options. I use this locator for 2 things locating water service lines and sewer sondes.

2) sometimes i have to trace a water line 1000 feet what is the best frequency to use in this instance?
    from what I understand the higher the number say 200khz will trace further than say 83khz
    The lower the frequency the greater distance you can locate.

Sometimes there is a 'poor' spot in what you are locating. Here a higher frequency will 'jump' the gap cased by a poor connection or corroded conductor.

The higher the frequency the greater the risk of the signal bleeding off on another utility.

the ViVax VlocPor is a great design but I have found the construction, made in China, to be poor quality and prone to failure. You will need some other piece of equipment to use while that one goes into the shop for repairs.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey, Ryan

Welcome to the site. I've never used a Vloc so I have no opinion on them.

I agree with ProfessionalLocator on the frequencies.

If you are to get a good/handy standby then I'd recommend a split box by Detectron. They don't do sondes but are great for waterlines.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; February 5th, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Hey 221 - Welcome to The Cable Vine! Thanks for becoming a member!

Most, if not all, of the sewer repair guys I've talked to over the past 15 years of locating, use the lowest possible frequency sonde. The Radio Detection Company has a 512Hz low-frequency sonde and also a 33kHz high-frequency sonde blaster. If I was making a choice, I would choose the 33kHz.

I like using 200khz when I locate services and mains for water as well as gas. It takes a powerful signal blast to tone ductile iron water mains and big steel gas mains.

Anyway, Good Luck and please post often!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

The metrotech 810 is basically the AK-47 of the utility locating world. You can't go wrong with it. Much like how the parents of many young children in middle eastern countries give them AK-47's because they are so easy to use, you should get a Metotech 810 especially if you are doing water. I know alot of water companies in the northeast and that is all they issue to thier employees - the metrotech 810.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the board Ryan.

PL is on the ball when it comes to the Frequencies, but there is variables to any problem. Be open to try anything. At least when it comes to locating. The biggest concern is the type of line you are locating. With water lines, you have a good chance of running into issues due to size and meterial. I'd have a little bit of everything. I would have a locator that is great at induction... Metrotech or Pipehorn, One that can locate sondes and lower the frequency.... Vloc or such, and a Split box locator...Aquatronics or the lot. that should get you most of the stuff in the ground.

Mke