Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Fake Emergency for 2011!!!

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: New Fake Emergency for 2011!!!

My favorite one? A homeowner called in a short notice ticket. 15 minutes later I get a 2nd notice. 30 minutes after that an emergency was called in. I was ready to let someone have it. Turns out, when I got there, it's this sad, elderly old lady who called it in so she could bury her dead dog. How freaking sad is that?

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Don't get me started on those guys. For years I've been meaning to get a shirt or sticker made that says "Comed's bitch." They abuse the one call system more than any other contractor I've ever dealt with in my twelve years in this industry.

I got a new one from them earlier this week. They didn't show up for their own contractor meet and an hour and a half later called in a no show emergency claiming all companies hadn't shown up. Rather than follow protocol and call in a new meet they ordered everyone to show up for an inpromptu meet at the end of the two hour emergency no show. The claim was that the foreman ran late to the meet by ten minutes and everyone was gone. The only problem? I stayed for twenty minutes past the meet time, so they were full it. Then not only does the foreman skip the original meet but he fails to show up to the second one as well. He sent someone over who knew absolutely nothing about the work being done, the prints she was handing out, the start date, etc. She tells the water company that they'll be boring under the road, but then I point out they already hired a sub to put their sleeves in. She tells another locator that they'll be trenching at normal depth, about 6 ft deep. Huh? No way, maybe 3 ft deep. But hey, they're a facility owner so who are they to follow state dig laws, right?
    This is an actual Comed emergency I got last summer, locate from address to ped in rear easement, a 50' radius around the ped, and a 50' wide path to the transformer to the north of the ped, and a 50' wide path to the transformer to the south of the ped, the scope called in would require marking 26 addresses. I called the contact on the ticket, and the contact gave me a number for the crew foreman that was actually responding to the call for a failed secondary, I called him and was told that the secondary was faulted directly under the meter of the initial address called in. I was also told that they wouldn't be out to fix it till three days later, I got this emergency call at 10 PM.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6feetunder View Post
    You can't do anything about it, try if you want but you can't. Think about it, the people calling in the majority of these are either contractors who work for the utilities and/or municipalities. They are the members of the one-call centers, they are the ones who pay their bills so who are you going to get to do anything about it. It's easier to just call in an emergency when you want to do the job rather than taking the time to plan and coordinate ahead of time. It sucks but that's life and there is nothing any of us can do to change the BS emergencies.
    An owner of one of the small locate companies around here doesn't put up with contractors abusing the system. He will mark the utilities about 1 1/2 feet off and/or he will mark a line that isn't there. When the contractor calls to say they can't find the mark he will say he doesn't have time to come back and help them cause he is busy chasing emergencies.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    An owner of one of the small locate companies around here doesn't put up with contractors abusing the system. He will mark the utilities about 1 1/2 feet off and/or he will mark a line that isn't there. When the contractor calls to say they can't find the mark he will say he doesn't have time to come back and help them cause he is busy chasing emergencies.
    Nice! Guerilla warfare. Too bad you can't do this when it's your own customer calling the emergencies.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Does your ticket have the contractors phone number on it?
    Can you call the contractor directly and ask about the emergency?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

The worst one I got was from AT&T and it was a locate for 3500'. It stated that the Customer was "out of service". I showed up at about 4:30 on the friday it was called in and it was in a section of a subdivision that was not built up yet. I called and couldn't get ahold of the excavator. I talked to a tech out in the field and he stated that they were scheduled to "Repair" the existing conduit somewhere between the two points that were 3500' apart. By the time I got done with the locate the excavator showed up, and said if I wanted to wait another 45 minutes they will shove a rodder in the line and pin point the damaged area.

He eventually only needed about 30' radius of two seperate areas.

Mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    I see your point friend, but I refuse to believe that there is nothing that can be done about this.
    I totally agree, but if there is anything to be done, I don't know what. Since it only really screws the individual locator around, no one else has any incentive for change. You'd think the loss of revenue alone would make the locate firms want to do something but they either won't or they can't. Every locator I know has complained bitterly to their higher-ups about it. This has gone on so long because the biggest abusers KNOW they wont face repercussions. I hate to gripe about someting without offering solutions but there is nothing you can do to contractors at this time who violate the spirit of the One-Call. Maybe if habitual violators were to get themselves banned from One Call for a period of time following a false emergency? A few well placed fines and the word would quickly spread but without some outside entity to aggressively enforce it, it's all just talk.

I simply tell them that I will only locate 1 address on an Emergency Ticket. Anything over that they need to re-call as a regular ticket as I cannot be tied up on one ticket over 15-30 minutes unless it's a project. Seems to work most of the time. I might have done a little 'overspray' in the past also in addition to writing ''Hand Dig Only - Unlocateable Facility in Area", but just on Special occasions.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

I had a contractor who kept calling in second requests after I had just marked up the area.... I fixed his little red wagon.... the area he was getting ready to dig in... I sprayed a big circle around is and labeled it with SP.... and before anyone says anything.... there was a splice pit there.... but it was only about 3' in diameter.... the area I circled was about 16' in diameter... needless to say... they no longer call in second requests... they call for remarks....

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
    Does your ticket have the contractors phone number on it?
    Can you call the contractor directly and ask about the emergency?
    The worst contactors know better than to answer the phone. It leaves you no choice but to treat it as real.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    This is an actual Comed emergency I got last summer, locate from address to ped in rear easement, a 50' radius around the ped, and a 50' wide path to the transformer to the north of the ped, and a 50' wide path to the transformer to the south of the ped, the scope called in would require marking 26 addresses. I called the contact on the ticket, and the contact gave me a number for the crew foreman that was actually responding to the call for a failed secondary, I called him and was told that the secondary was faulted directly under the meter of the initial address called in. I was also told that they wouldn't be out to fix it till three days later, I got this emergency call at 10 PM.
    Very typical of what we see out my way. ComEd calls in an emergency at 1am, doesn't respond, and then gives it to a subcontractor three days later, who in turn call in a normal notice ticket. Or asking for 1500 ft of locates to dig a 3 ft by 3 ft pit to repair a fault. Or asking for locates to repair an aerial electric service. Or asking for locates in the backyard when all the electric is in the front yard. Or two hour emergencies to repair electric services at brand new homes with no one living in them. Or two hour emergencies for "fault repair" work that is actually new plant installation that someone forgot to call a ticket in for. The list is endless....
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

Just got word that Comcast still has not tied in this new trunk as of this morning. Can you believe this shit! I was told this emergency was called in LAST WEEK sometime. Can anyone in the Joliet area verify this? Is anyone pursuing a complaint with the ICC?

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Very typical of what we see out my way. ComEd calls in an emergency at 1am, doesn't respond, and then gives it to a subcontractor three days later, who in turn call in a normal notice ticket. Or asking for 1500 ft of locates to dig a 3 ft by 3 ft pit to repair a fault. Or asking for locates to repair an aerial electric service. Or asking for locates in the backyard when all the electric is in the front yard. Or two hour emergencies to repair electric services at brand new homes with no one living in them. Or two hour emergencies for "fault repair" work that is actually new plant installation that someone forgot to call a ticket in for. The list is endless....
    Sounds typical of what I dealt with too. Electric utilities will call in 1500 ft locates though, because they won't know where the fault is until they get there and find it themselves. If you're in good with the crews, you can usually call and meet them on site and let them find the fault first. Then it's an easy locate. You just have to watchdog while they do their work in case they got it wrong or they find another fault. It's still alot better than marking they entire scope of the ticket. Locates to repair an aerial service????? Now that would piss me off.

Here's one from last winter. Electric Co. called in an emergency for repairing secondary from trans to ped. Only about 5 houses long, but they want both side of the road. I mark it up. They never dig anything, just string a temp line that sits there for about a month.

Sub calls in the same marking instructions as an emergency because they're going to bore in the new line. All the old marks are gone so I re-paint.

Sub never shows up, it snows, next week calls in another emergency. Re-paint

Sub never shows up, snow melts, next week calls in another emergency. Re-paint

Sub never shows up, snows again, next week calls in another emergency. Re-paint

Almost 2 months from the original "emergency" ticket the cable was finally replaced. Emailed it to my supe who was pissed, he passed it on to our district manager and nothing ever happened with it.

TMO
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    My favorite one? A homeowner called in a short notice ticket. 15 minutes later I get a 2nd notice. 30 minutes after that an emergency was called in. I was ready to let someone have it. Turns out, when I got there, it's this sad, elderly old lady who called it in so she could bury her dead dog. How freaking sad is that?
    THAT would suck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12