Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Opinions

Default Need Opinions

Been awhile since I posted. Been busy setting up shop with this private locating. On a more laid back note I won the Locators League fantasy football. By some stroke of luck that it, def. wasn't because of players or skill.

But I was hoping for some feedback on my website here. We finally finished the beta version of our website, which is our first. I would like the locating community as a whole see what they think, what can be improved, and what you think would be good to add.

In the next few versions we will be adding:

-Flash integrated website
    -Comprehensive requesting service online
    -Section where customers can view photos of previous jobs to get an idea of what to expect
    -Pay online section that promotes the use of credit/debit.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need Opinions

What is the website you want to have critiqued? I don't see a link to it.

My opinion about flash is to leave it out. I don't like things moving around on a website while I'm trying to read. Same goes for sound. If I go to a website and music starts playing to someone starts talking then I'm outta there.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Forgot the URL. It is http://www.sulinc.com

Flash integration includes small things like when you mouse over a link on the top bar, the link may do an effect like slightly highlight. There won't be nothing moving nor no music involved. Anything we integrate will only be professional in manner.

Sometimes less is more when it comes to websites. Flash tends to slow down the response time when someone goes to your site.

Years of Experience

I think i would put more contrast into your name it seems to blend in too much also remove the word CHEAPEST from the cost part maybe cost effective or some sh$$.like that

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

hey Foxtrot... just a couple of things. I hope everything goes well, but don't price your self too low. I started doing privates 9 years ago and we weren't charging as low as $50 an hour. Back then we were charging 55 an hour, and moved up soon after I started.

I also wouldn't state the average time spent on a locate, that will come back to bite you in the rear quickly.

In the "about us" section you should have a blurb about your personal experience in locating. Kinda like an introduction to an AA meeting.

As for the website itself, I think it looks pretty good. I know its only the rough version and more will come. I'm a big believer in pictures. I would like to see some of the work you have preformed.

Have you thought about a smaller company logo that you can toss onto a hat, shirt, or even a buisness card?

Mke

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Make the text larger.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    hey Foxtrot... just a couple of things. I hope everything goes well, but don't price your self too low. I started doing privates 9 years ago and we weren't charging as low as $50 an hour. Back then we were charging 55 an hour, and moved up soon after I started.

I also wouldn't state the average time spent on a locate, that will come back to bite you in the rear quickly.
    I agree with the pricing and time spent locating comments. As your company grows, you will incur additional "overhead" expenses that will necessitate an increase in your bottom line. It will be very hard to justify any significant increase in pricing to your customers in the first couple of years no matter what value they see in your services. If you work for engineers they will almost always insist on pay when paid terms, putting a huge crunch on your cash flow. Another thing to think about is when they compare pricing, and see that your prices are much lower than other more established companies, they might see this as a huge negative - thinking that the pricing will not get them the services they really want and need. I'd stay as far away from time spent on a locate as possible - those types of statements will absolutely come back to haunt you later on. Your customer base will understand the process, and setting sometimes unrealistic deadlines or expectations can put you in a bad spot.

Site looks pretty good - just remember, you can do things right a million times and get no credit but the one time you do something wrong it will be front page news. We live in a virtual world where just about anything can be posted and there isn't much anyone can do about it - especially when there are websites that do not manage their content and allow anything to be posted true or not. Good luck to you!
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Great points guys. Next version out will include pictures of jobs/locates. Also anything included here will be added in as well.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    ...We live in a virtual world where just about anything can be posted and there isn't much anyone can do about it - especially when there are websites that do not manage their content and allow anything to be posted true or not. Good luck to you!
    Please tell me you are not referring to thecablevine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Now that hurt!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Didn't mean to poke you in the eye Steve, but many things have been posted here and on other sites that are simply not true (not just about me or OneVision). Many postings have no fact and are simply an emotional response to a situation (the "I'm hurting so everybody has to hurt" syndrome). I've accepted that and yet I continue to post here because there is much more good on the CableVine than bad, and many more good folks here than not so good folks. We (the industry and those that serve it) deserve good press for all the many good things we do, but more times than not we only hear the bad stuff. When things can be put out there that hurt us all because of situations we sometimes cannot control (both employees AND owners), that hurts all of us and is not fair in the overall scheme of things. But it's like my Grandfather always told me - "Who said life was fair?"
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I do my best to make sure everyone gets a fair shake around here. I'm very easy to get along with. I have a high tolerance for BS. I want this board to be respected in the industry. The best way I know to do that is to keep from censoring everything that comes across my screen.

...especially when there are websites that do not manage their content and allow anything to be posted true or not.
    This quote is far from the truth. I don't know as much as most of you know about the business. I work for a little 3 person shop (2 + the owner. We meet in his garage every morning.) and I don't have the problems and issues that most of you have. I've never heard of most of the companies on this site so I don't know what the truth is about them.

I keep waiting for a letter in the mail from some lawyer but it hasn't come yet. There are a couple of moderators and a 'report this post' button for people to use. If you feel something was posted that is untrue... then report it.

I rely on others to help out. If someone posts a lie and nothing is said about it being a lie, then how can I know it is a lie?

When that little fiasco was happening a while back concerning postings about your company, you told me, over the phone, don't worry about it you are a big boy and could handle it. I know you don't like that posting up there but it is only there because you haven't asked me to remove it. I was very concerned about the whole deal and I'm always concerned when something like that happens so don't insinuate I'm mismanaging this site because that is just plain untrue.

Sorry for taking this thread down a different road.

Well put Steve. Some people's lies are other people's truths. I know Ovus is trying to protect his reputation from a disgruntled ex-employee but realistically how could you or one of the Moderators determine what exactly the truth is or which side is correct? You can't, so you have 2 choices , censor it or let it be posted. Maybe that would make a good Poll Question.
    I hope you don't start censoring posts , at least civil toned ones, because uncensored dialogue, arguments, etc. are what keep any blog interesting.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Guess have trusted sources that maybe work for the same company and post here provide their take on what someone else has posted. Be able to confirm that way or just common sense. Looking at OVUS's fiasco awhile back it looked like maybe one person was making multiple accounts since they were all situated around Family Guy. Something like that is a deliberate attack.

Take the internet with a grain of salt. Unless some hard evidence is backed up, like in the case for Wikileaks. Half of that stuff no one would just believe unless hard evidence was provided first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast