Quote Originally Posted by phoenix827 View Post
Do you guys mark something different for loose lines on/next to a duct?
Are these cables belonging to AT&T? How are the 1200 and 2700 listed in the AT&T prints?

If the 12 & 27 are indicated on the 'top side' prints, I mark them separate within the boundaries of, but just behind, my conduit marks. If my tone on these cables followed the conduit marks, I definitely would double access them to remove any doubts. Once I'm confident these cables are buried with the duct run, I then make contact with my contractor to give a 'Heads Up' that the two cables lay very close to the duct package. I would tell them my 2 cables could be laying beside, above or below the ducts.

If the 12 & 27 are listed in my detailed underground prints, then all I'm giving them is conduit package marks and walk away with confidence.

In my small area, I have a 432 strand fiber listed in the underground prints as part of a conduit package. But in one manhole to manhole stretch, the fiber lays 10+ feet away from the other 27 ducts!

I have a 1500 pair pulp lateral that is listed on the top prints and it lays on top of a conduit package for a 1000', then breaks away 300' from an intersection. I have 2 other separate but simular situations with smaller cables buried joint along side a conduit package for short distances before they break away from the conduits. Because these 3 cables are indicated on the 'top side' prints, I mark them separate within the boundaries of, but just behind, my conduit marks. I call all contractors digging around these four examples.

Knowledge is power, and I make sure my contractors know as much about my utilities as I do. Not telling a contractor there is a separate lateral(s), fiber(s) or cable(s) laying just outside of a conduit package for any distance is inviting disaster for someone!