Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: near miss

Years of Experience

Default near miss

Had a 1200 pair AND a 2700 pair get clipped this week. Nicked the plastic on the 1200 an put a heck of a kink in the 2700, but don't think there was any broken pairs. Sitting right on TOP of the duct, contractor vacced to find one side of the duct for depth and never knew about the 2 loose lines. Bet he goes a bit easier on a duct next time! Good diggers tho, Have dealt with these guys a LOT and this is the 1st real hit I have heard of with them. (except my screwup last spring) Best part, EVERYONE on scene said my marks were dead on!! (off about 6" from center on a 30"wide duct)

Do you guys mark something different for loose lines on/next to a duct?

Default Re: near miss

On the map/sheet i give the contractor, Ill usually mark buried+duct(s) along the line.. thats if its shown as such on the cad drawing in the first place.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    On the map/sheet i give the contractor, Ill usually mark buried+duct(s) along the line.. thats if its shown as such on the cad drawing in the first place.

Ya bang on Dave!

I have had several situations where they lay cable on top of ducts. In my territory all plastic ducting protects either telephone or power. This ducting is then encased in cement to pretty much ensure few HP hits.

Then along comes a contractor putting in new power or whatever, and lays it on top of the coment. I have had two instances of near misses because of this. And of course, when you are locating these, you have little idea whether they are in the duct or laying on top because depth measurement will often not tell you with certainty.

In one part of my territory, they actually laid a 219mm (8 inch) gas main on top of the cement encasing several telephone fibre cables. I just freeking groaned!

Both are locateable, BUT, when someone new comes to this territory are they going to believe the duct AND the gas are running together. Could cause lots of future confusion.

But, ours is not to wonder why, but to do, then die!
    Last edited by underground quester; December 4th, 2008 at 10:03 PM.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

I always put my (ATT) conduit run mark down then the cable right on top of that mark but my conduit run marks are like 15ft apart and then I have the hashed cable mark about every 4ft on top of the run. Hope that makes sense?
    C.Y.A. like everyone is out to screw you and ya will be fine!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Like I said, welcome to the world's largest locating company, one that's full of piss poor communication, dogshit planning, and mistreated slaves, err, employees.

Like So....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails draw.jpg  
    C.Y.A. like everyone is out to screw you and ya will be fine!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Like I said, welcome to the world's largest locating company, one that's full of piss poor communication, dogshit planning, and mistreated slaves, err, employees.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GODFATHER View Post
    I always put my (ATT) conduit run mark down then the cable right on top of that mark but my conduit run marks are like 15ft apart and then I have the hashed cable mark about every 4ft on top of the run. Hope that makes sense?
    Ya, thats what I was thinking, but if I was look @ that I think I would get confused. "Is there loose lines here or is it a duct?"

UQ, I've got a couple like that as well, 1 where gas and phone duct run together about 20', have seen 1 person get sucked onto the gas while marking phone. Another where they found an abd duct not on ANY prints! No tone, no 60hz hum, nothing. they chipped their way thru it after evveryone said it wasn't theirs and ran a 10" gas dogleg right thru it! lol

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post

In one part of my territory, they actually laid a 219mm (8 inch) gas main on top of the cement encasing several telephone fibre cables. I just freeking groaned!
    They run gas,elec,tel,and tv joint all the time here. It is definately wierd when you locate a gas main right through a transformer. I'm still waiting to see what happens when there is a gas leak under a three phase transformer.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix827 View Post
    Had a 1200 pair AND a 2700 pair get clipped this week. Nicked the plastic on the 1200 an put a heck of a kink in the 2700, but don't think there was any broken pairs. Sitting right on TOP of the duct, contractor vacced to find one side of the duct for depth and never knew about the 2 loose lines. Bet he goes a bit easier on a duct next time! Good diggers tho, Have dealt with these guys a LOT and this is the 1st real hit I have heard of with them. (except my screwup last spring) Best part, EVERYONE on scene said my marks were dead on!! (off about 6" from center on a 30"wide duct)

Do you guys mark something different for loose lines on/next to a duct?

a 2700 pair?

What was it, a 900 and an 1800 in the same trench?

edit- n/m it was a duct, didn't read all of your post
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    a 2700 pair?

What was it, a 900 and an 1800 in the same trench?
    edit- n/m it was a duct, didn't read all of your post
    No, 1200 pr AND 2700 pr sitting on top of the duct. Talked to the diggers today, no damage to pairs, just kinked the line.

Does anyone know the largest pair cable made? I heard it was a 3000x, but I've seen a 3600x.

The legendary Merrill Braud (my trainer) told me he heard about a 4600 getting smoked. So it goes higher up than 3600, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix827 View Post
    No, 1200 pr AND 2700 pr sitting on top of the duct. Talked to the diggers today, no damage to pairs, just kinked the line.
    Glad to hear that. Quality excavators make this job more pleasant...I prefer someone to call me before they dig in any situation, unless it's a major road job and I have 5 different contractors doing work...in that case I'll just have the entire green mile flagged, overmarked and photographed to cover my ass every 8 days.....more work, but I sleep better at night with the assurance to know that I'm covered and, more importantly, my company is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    The legendary Merrill Braud (my trainer) told me he heard about a 4600 getting smoked. So it goes higher up than 3600, apparently.
    The largest made is a 4500 pair cable. I've seen these in MH's in downtown Detroit a few times. Very rarely used. Damn thing was bigger than my friggin arm.
    There is a rumor of a transcontinental copper cable from either Halifax or Quebec City to Vancouver in Canada. I knew someone that ran into this bastage. apparently it was about about 7-8 inches(18-20 cm) across.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

@beyond help

Im gonna make an educated guess and call shenanigans on the rumour of that Canadian transcontinental big-ass copper cable. Where I am is a choke-point in the country so it would have to pass through here, and Ive never seen it nor heard of it. There was some old repeater type copper cable run that was part of some national system that passed by here (literally adjacent to my property in the rural area).. but its been long since abandoned in favour of Fots, Sat and radio links. There seems to be quite a few national type fots links.. some follow the transcanada highway.. some the nat gas ROW and I think some along the railway.

Personally, Ive never worked on a cable bigger than 3600.. but I have heard there is one size bigger (could be that 4500 i guess).
    (May you live in interesting times)

Dave, I just heard about this cable. I have never seen it. I was going off of what someone had said. I have however seen a few 4500's. They are no longer made. Very rarely is anything above a 1200 used anymore. Optics are replacing many of the 'larger' cables. Much of the old copper that has been abandoned is now being pulled and sold to China.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast