Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: National Certification

Years of Experience

Default Re: National Certification

My point was that, even security guards require a certificate. And the 20 bucks was to get the badge without the lame video and so many hour of training...

Years of Experience
    17 years

Most of the locate companies have an in-house certification. It's a joke. Watch a video, listen to a lecture, and take an exam as many times as you need to pass. I'm wishing for a lot more than that. An apprenticeship program is much more than that and it's something real (see Steve's earlier post). Electricians, pipefitters, and all the gas/electric utility workers have been through an apprenticeship program. They have the highest quality standards and are able to earn a respectable pay rate. You can't just replace them if the One Call laws were amended to impose this standard on utility and locate companies. A commitment to a four year journeyman level program would weed out the sub quality workers.
    I'm not a politician so I don't really know the steps to get the ball rolling on it but there just aren't too many other options out there to empower locators.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I don't see why Utility Commissions or the Utility Authorities or whatever you want to call them. The people that oversee utility companies. I don't know why they don't insist that the utilities only hire locating companies that can demonstrate a certain level of knowledge and expertise in the field of locating. Maybe the Utility Commissions should take the reigns on this. After all, they control the utility companies in the name of public safety (I'm guessing)

Just a thought.
    That's an excellent point Steve, but I think the real reason there are no standards or certification has to do with the Federal and local governments not being able to agree on much of anything important these days. The Utilities in general wield far too much political clout in this country, and anything that threatens their bottom line is very tough to pass in today's economic climate. I'll say it again: I believe that there should be Federal standards for locating, and something along the lines of what surveying requires.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123