Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new locating car

Default Re: My new locating car

Who would want to drive an unmarked/unproffesional car to a jobsite. Show up at someone's house in some "hooptee". If you can't afford a truck or van to do what you do, I'd find another line of work that pays. It's only a matter of time for you to have encounter with law or homeowner. It's bad enough for locators that don't have the actual utility they represent posted on their truck.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by JACKnBORE View Post
    Who would want to drive an unmarked/unproffesional car to a jobsite. Show up at someone's house in some "hooptee". If you can't afford a truck or van to do what you do, I'd find another line of work that pays. It's only a matter of time for you to have encounter with law or homeowner. It's bad enough for locators that don't have the actual utility they represent posted on their truck.
    I am going to break your quote down a bit
    1. Steve is a private locator or a sue so when he pulls up to a homeowner's house or a job site they are expecting him.
    2. I was a subcontractor in another business and I use to use magnetic signs I could put it on my van
    3 As a private locator and he doesn't do phone, no need for guards and such. Unlike a locators who need to carry several weeks or a month of supplies. He may just need a couple cases of paint and few bundles of flags along with some locating equipment. So if all he needs fits in a car why use a 1/2 ton van and have the extra cost
    4 Have you looked around. Several of the contract locating companies have ditched trucks and vans and have gone to cars. One had HHR's, and CUS uses a caliper I think. Almost all give their locators a call for idling time and such trying to keep fuel cost down.
    5 With all the contracts being lost and rewarded having the actual utilities on the truck what happens if painted on the truck and the company loses the contract. New paint job? It would have o be those magnetic signs refer to point 1

Years of Experience

I agree, Jack. Only vans and pickups can be covered in company logos. Also, they are the only professional vehicles on the road. Any thing else, and you're too poor to be doing blue collar work.

What a joke. Give me a break.

Nobody said anything about driving a hooptie, or an unprofessional car. That metro is in beautiful shape, and any vehicle can be branded with a company logo and made "professional". Look at Premier with their Pontiac Vibes.

Years of Experience

Jack n Bore.. go back to one of your many coffee breaks and leave the practicality and common sense to those of us who know better...

Years of Experience
    30+

Jack N Bore, why is it when you speak everything is negative about the locating industry?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    Where the heck do you put the manhole guard, cones, pump and hose ?
    Are you putting at least some kind of strobe light on it ?

We dont do just locates, but still.. I cant think of not having at least my men working sign (esp when parked just over a hill etc.. really esp in the winter when its slippery) and some cones to help protect myself.
    The price of gas is one thing, for sure.. but keeping alive trumps that, dont it ?

Otherwise, I agree though.. I sure keep alot of crap that I never use in my E-350 bucket truck.
    I only locate Cable TV. I have all the equipment I need in the back of the car.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    I do believe that Steve may well be the smartest man in the room, since he is running his own business. But I am really curious as to how this would work on a rough jobsite. Or do you mostly deal with residential areas Steve?
    Wing... thanks for the good mention. I appreciate it. My equipment weight is probably under 50 lbs. I don't think the springs will have much wear and tear from my use. Plus, I drive my cars like a little old lady.

Bad Robot... Thanks as well. I deal with mostly residential. The big jobsites around here aren't that hazardous. I can usually park off to the side and walk to where I need in under a minute. Plus, the economy has put a halt on any really big projects around here. We have some small commercial stuff going on and a road project or two but nothing like I might see back East.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JACKnBORE View Post
    I've only run into one person who questioned my use of an unmarked vehicle. This was after I was already hooked up and working. She threatened to call the States Attorney General and report me. I told her to tell him I said hi. Not really. I did tell her to go ahead and call. She was just a horrible person.

I do find that I have more homeowners who give me a second look, but pulling out a ticket with their name, address, contractor, type of work, etc... convinces them I am legit.

Steve, I have people challenge me when I'm right by my co truck wearing a Safety Vest. I asked one lady if she really thought I was doing something illegal, in the middle of the day, with my beacon going and visible for 1/2 mile in each direction.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

This is all the room I need. That plastic bin has my winter clothes in it so in the summer time I'll have even more room.

img_0679..jpg

No flags?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I've only run into one person who questioned my use of an unmarked vehicle. This was after I was already hooked up and working. She threatened to call the States Attorney General and report me. I told her to tell him I said hi. Not really. I did tell her to go ahead and call. She was just a horrible person.

I do find that I have more homeowners who give me a second look, but pulling out a ticket with their name, address, contractor, type of work, etc... convinces them I am legit.
    Go have some of then cheap magnetic signs made that you can slap on and off that will give you a little curb appeal when they look out the mini blinds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12