Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By CableAvoidanceTool
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot
  • 2 Post By CableAvoidanceTool

Thread: The most honest sewer locator I've ever seen.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default The most honest sewer locator I've ever seen.

This was from a while back. I had the picture on my phone for awhile so I decided to share. I am trying to be more active posting threads on this forum, as Steve is worried about the site's future due to the drop in rate of new posts. This one's for you, Steve!

This sewer locator from the town is perhaps the most honest guy with a paint stick. Seems they just don't have any options for locating their sewer, so he just straight up admits he doesn't know where it is. In written paint, at the dig site.

I imported the image inside the message body of this post from an external image hosting site, it should be visible even if you are not logged in. Let me know if it works, I'll just do that from now on as opposed to attaching.

In case that didn't work, I also attached the picture as an attachment.

So, see for yourself. You don't see that everyday, lol.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails honestsewerlocator.jpg  

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The most honest sewer locator I've ever seen.

Posted fine.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Looks great.

I've actually seen similar messages on the ground pointing out unknown locations of utilities. I've also seen something along the lines of "unlocated plant in area" referring to private lines.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

LOL that was great !!! finally a humble locater .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Greetings CableAvoidanceTool! For me, my most challenging locates have involved water mains and forced sewer mains in suburbia Kansas City. Kansas City proper sewer and water locating is cake as compared to its outlining suburbs.

I am strapped with a suburb sewer and water locating contract with shitty prints, limited water valve placements in the plant, half of the existing water valves are not listed on the prints, the type of material is unlisted on the prints, the prints have no indication of water meter placements and the water mains are lined down the middle of the street on the prints which means I have to hook-up to the plant to figure out which side of the street the water mains lay. I can't trust the storm sewer prints at any given intersection. The prints are basically no more than lines on a piece of paper.

I have a 30" force main that has random air relief valves. The as-builts are my only guide on this main using measurements off the old 2 lane road before it was widened to a 4 lane with turn lanes and random medians! 3 times during the past 5 years have I needed to make sure it was accurately marked to avoid disaster. It was only after an auger used to place a new street light base rubbed up against this force main that I was made aware it was made of ductile iron. Fak, that was close! Now I know where to throw down my digital McLaughlin Verifier G2 transmitter and run with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Big-E likes this.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Whoa, Whoa...Whoa!

Wingfoot, are you actually suggesting, That you are encumbered with perhaps the rarest type of one call contract? The sewer contract locator? My heart goes out to you man!

Sewer has got to be the most difficult utility to locate. All of the town sewer locating crews I've seen, only use measurements from maps. They don't use Ground Penetrating Radar or duct rods. Seems odd, as alot of private sewer locators would try that first.

I am going to start a new thread on the finer nuances of locating sewer lines. I may have some private jobs comming up and I really need some advice. I have a good idea of my attack plan but, sewer is just the most miserable locate.
    Wingfoot and yahoo like this.