Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By daman1
  • 1 Post By daman1
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Missouri One Call Changes for 2015

Years of Experience

Default Missouri One Call Changes for 2015

David Schatz is owner of one of the largest excavation companies in Missouri, Schatz Underground, Inc., and is a Republican legislator in the Missouri House of Representatives. As vice chairman on the committee overseeing public utilities, he has rammed through substantial changes in the Missouri One Call Rules. These changes have been enacted into law and go into effect January 1, 2015. As one can imagine, the changes are a greater benefit to excavators. Check it out:

1.) Sewer and water system operators must provide information to excavators on the location of private facilities within the public right of way.

2.) Sewer and water system owners must install tracer wire and an access point within a protective enclosure in the public right of way for any newly installed or fully replaced facilities.

3.) Rescheduling start dates must go through the One Call System via e-mails between the utility locators, the One Call center and the excavators. The One Call System will extend the mutually agreed new dates to the tickets.

4.) Utility markings must indicate type, size and material.

David has, in effect, transferred the liability of private utility repairs to sewer laterals and subsequent damages to private property (mud slurry in basements, blocked sewer lines, house gas explosions) from excavators to the sewer and water system owners and their locator providers.

I reschedule my tickets by contacting the ones closest to the work. Rescheduling through the excavators office will not be beneficial to the locators.

Schatz wanted to include Saturdays and Sundays as normal business work days. I'm not seeing that as a change in the law.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Default Re: Missouri One Call Changes for 2015

All I can say is WOW!!! Especially for #3.

I don't see sewer laterals as private because most all of them are put in by the city sewer dept. They should have records.
    Last edited by superman; November 2nd, 2014 at 12:54 PM.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    All I can say is WOW!!! Especially for #3.
    Number 4 sucks too. All that extra time marking. Now watch how long it takes before someone raises hell because of the graffiti and excessive paint.
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience

Most of us already have to do #4 with gas locates.

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Number 4 sucks too. All that extra time marking. Now watch how long it takes before someone raises hell because of the graffiti and excessive paint.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Most of us already have to do #4 with gas locates.
    If it's high profile, I'll slap a " 8" HP " down but doing that on every line? Having to write steel or plastic? Services too? Almost makes me want to make a stencil. Who wants to write a book with spray paint every 10 -20 ft ?
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience

The utilities may default to routine locate request response times for emergency locate requests that fail to meet the definition of an emergency as stated in 319.015.

I like that, but nobody will stand up to it.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

#4 can have deadly results. There seems to be a nationwide effort to make this standard and it's proponants will not give up enven in Maryland where it was tried and failed.

The excavator sees the indication of say 5 cables written in paint. They expose five and begin power digging withen two fwwt od the marks even though there is nothing in the code that says they can now power dig withen two feet of the marks. The paint writen statement of 5 cables is only based on the print which is often wrong. In Maryland they kept hitting electric, phone and CATV because they took the paint marks as the definative statement of how many cables were there.

Number 4 is a foolish, ignorant and dangerous practice.
    Mke and UULC like this.